Options

Even by Tory standards, Jeremy Hunt is a complete waste of space.

welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
Forum Member
Agree or disagree?

If the latter, would be interested / amused in the reasons. Please set them out in detail. Ta :)

Comments

• Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    I think, controversially, that Jeremy Hunt is right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ennerjee wrote: »

Right about what?
  • Options
    Lee CoolLee Cool Posts: 4,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like when he tried to waive the BSkyB deal through for Murdoch and his cronies. Hunt is a liability.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A complete waste of space he may be, but by Tory standards he's still miles behind the gruesome Gideon.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

So do I and support for the doctors has gone from 65% down to around 53% since they announced their latest strike. If there are deaths during the strike period it will fall even lower.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Right about what?

Trying to create a seven day a week service for the public.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »

personally i dont have a problem with him wanting to create a 7 day a week service but what your post glosses over is that he is trying to do it on the cheap and stretch resources that are already close to breaking point even thinner
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love seeing the Tory right-wingers coming on here claiming to have been supporting the Junior Doctors but now supporting Hunt.

I don't think anyone is that gullible.
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even by Tory standards, Jeremy Hunt is a complete waste of space
    The rest of the Tories are just as bad they are letting him run down and destroy the NHS on their behalf like the people that worked with IDS guilty by association?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a doctor who appeared on television and who wrote an article in the Telegraph who has has said he no longer backs the strike because it has become about politics and personalising the strike against elected governments is not the best way to get your point across. He urged people to actually read the read the contracts. He made it clear that there were still several elements that needed judicial review and there were some discriminations that needed addressing. But he said that the points that the strikes were being called upon were largely inaccurate and doctors should put patients ahead of any grievance they have.

Also, support is being measured by monitoring the amount of car horns being honked at signs that say "Honk if you love the NHS" which of course is different than saying "Honk if you support the striking doctors".

If the Government caved in to demands, then all other public services would be demanding this that and the other aswell. I agree with Hunt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    The rest of the Tories are just as bad they are letting him run down and destroy the NHS on their behalf like the people that worked with IDS guilty by association?

If you think the Tories are ruining the NHS, wait until you vote to remain in the EU and TTIP is agreed. You aint seen nothing yet! But of course, I'm obviously just scaremongering.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Well the government have said we need 5,000 more GPS, how many more NHS staff do you think the NHS needs to run a full NHS service 7 days a week, doctors nurses consultants and all medical staff and support staff
  • Options
    Forum Member

At any cost, eh? Can't always get what you (apparently) want...I mean I'd love a couple of billion sitting in tax havens to pay for our public services but I know this is rather greedy of me, we must live within our means after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    If you think the Tories are ruining the NHS, wait until you vote to remain in the EU and TTIP is agreed. You aint seen nothing yet! But of course, I'm obviously just scaremongering.

The USA won't get all it's own way on TTIP.

There just won't be any agreement unless concessions are made to the UK and other EU states like France and Germany working together to get the best deal with the USA, including opt outs for things like the NHS.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

There just won't be any agreement unless concessions are made to the UK and other EU states like France and Germany working together to get the best deal with the USA, including opt outs for things like the NHS.

The only opt out that will work is the one we can vote for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On BBC News today, a French lawyer was explaining that the major concession that the EU was looking for was for a proper static court to determine whether businesses have legitamacy to sue a Government.

So, don't complain that the NHS is screwed over by TTIP once you've voted to remain. It will be too late then. That's why Brexiters support Brexit. Because nothing is guaranteed with the EU. If we go alone, the decisions WE make will be made by us for us. We'll have OUR Government to blame. Who will you blame?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    The only opt out that will work is the one we can vote for.

Even out of the EU we would have to sign up to something like TTIP for a trade deal with the USA.

With the protection of the EU behind us we could get better opt outs for things like the NHS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On BBC News today, a French lawyer was explaining that the major concession that the EU was looking for was for a proper static court to determine whether businesses have legitamacy to sue a Government.

So, don't complain that the NHS is screwed over by TTIP once you've voted to remain. It will be too late then. That's why Brexiters support Brexit. Because nothing is guaranteed with the EU. If we go alone, the decisions WE make will be made by us for us. We'll have OUR Government to blame. Who will you blame?

Not often I agree with you.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the EU wins that concession it would allow the UK to refuse selling off parts of the NHS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the EU wins that concession it would allow the UK to refuse selling off parts of the NHS.

Would a Tory, or even Tory lite (Blair), government be certain to refuse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even out of the EU we would have to sign up to something like TTIP for a trade deal with the USA.

With the protection of the EU behind us we could get better opt outs for things like the NHS.

Don't you believe it. TTIP clearly demonstrates, amongst all available text, from varying sources, widely available on the internet, that we will have less protection from anything once TTIP comes into operation. The EU would rather keep the USA happy rather than worry about the UK's NHS, which to the EU and the USA, is just another public service that the Americans can buy into. I think you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think the EU will say "Hands off the British NHS" when all other health services will be open for American investment - and return of profit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't you believe it. TTIP clearly demonstrates, amongst all available text, from varying sources, widely available on the internet, that we will have less protection from anything once TTIP comes into operation. The EU would rather keep the USA happy rather than worry about the UK's NHS, which to the EU and the USA, is just another public service that the Americans can buy into. I think you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think the EU will say "Hands off the British NHS" when all other health services will be open for American investment - and return of profit.

The French and Germans will have things they want our support over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. It would make it easier for the British Government to be sued. Simply because the costs in the UK, or the ability to invest in the UK is restricted by the UK Government compared to areas where investment is easier.

It is true that all three major English parties (and the SNP) want an opt out clause in the agreement. It is one stumbling block in the negotiations. But, there is no certainty they will get it. You can see for yourself by reading the TTIP information on the "fullfacts" website - which is possibly the most honest place there is for finding neutral information.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Would a Tory, or even Tory lite (Blair), government be certain to refuse?

But that would still be the decision of a UK government not the EU then and they know they would not be forgiven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The French and Germans will have things they want our support over.

You do know that France, Germany, Britain and the other 25 countries are not actually involved in the negotiations don't you? There is a team of unelected people negotiating on behalf of the EU for the EU. Sure, countries would have made their concerns known, but at the end of the day, the EU parliament agreed for these negotiations to take place and for a deal to be struck. France and Germany will care about France and Germany at the end of the day. Just like Britain primarily cares about Britain. You really do need to take TTIP seriously and not assume everything will be wonderful at the end of it.