Home Cinema Help

Im going to invest in a good audio system for DVD's/console games.

When I say good, I mean "around £200". Not good in some peoples opnion.

I have had a look at richersounds at some separate deals, and I have found a good on with a panasonic amp (DD5.1/DTS/DPL/DPL2) plenty of conectors and some speakers. (Gale Moviestar 3)

This has floor standing front speakers, a center speaker and a rear speaker.

Will I be missing much If I add a sub @ a later date?

As I understand it, the sub on DTS/5.1 has its own channel, so I would be missing sounds right? or is the sub channel built up from sounds from the other ones?

Anyone recomened any deals or help me with my quesition?

Any amps recomended MUST have DPL2 for my gamecube.

Thanx in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a sony home sound system, the sound is amazing, perfect for gaming, but comes at a price :( £200 will buy you a low-middle category home system, the sub IMO is important, when you unplug it, there is quite a hollow sound :rolleyes:

have fun with your money
    :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got a Sony home cinema kit myself too, cost around £350, which produces excellent sounds. If I were you I would save up a bit longer and get a better system. You do need a sub woofer. Most kits now have Dolby Prologic II on as standard but you should also be looking for dts sound, this is a better quality sound system than 5.1, again good quality kits usually have the three sound systems on board now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    The sub channel - the .1 in 5.1 (also known as the LFE channel) can be redirect to the main front left/right speakers if you don't have a sub. Set sub to "no" on the AV amp and it will do this.

A decent speaker package that Richer Sounds have been advertising is the Mission Cinema Six package - this includes five speakers and a sub. They are doing it at £180 which is a bit of a bargain as it used to cost £400 and got good reviews.

Obviously, adding the cost of an amp to this would take you over budget but it would be a very nice little set up.

Alternatively, you could buy an AV amp (like the one you mention) and then build up the speakers gradually, starting with the front left/right pair.

You can start off without a sub but you should look to add one at some point if you want to hear the really deep stuff.

Matt.