Isis and the media

lalalala Posts: 21,175
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been thinking about this for a while now, and I know many people will agree with me on this, but isn't the media, the way in which they have been reporting on ISIS, seem to be doing them a favour by promoting their activities. The Western media seem to be ISIS free publicity machine.

They broadcast/write in full ISIS's statements, giving them the air of publicity and reach they wouldn't otherwise have- remember, not everybody uses the internet to get their information even in today's world. They broadcast clips from their propaganda videos, clips of them standing next to their victims in orange jumpsuits. All this is bound to make them look more sophisticated than they actually are. It's cheap, but effective publicity for them.

Take these killings as an example, why even choose to broadcast who ISIS next victim is suppose to be? Don't broadcast it, don't publish the names... The moment you give credence to the kidnapped victims, that's the moment ISIS knows that when they do kill them, that killing will be broadcast worldwide and be giving significant attention. But the moment they are ignored, what's the point in killing them in such a fashion if no one is going to mention it in the media.

Of course that is not to say that they wont kill them anyways, they're mentally sick people. However, I believe the media is doing their job of promoting them and making them look big for them. And is probably driving more web traffic to their various sites... Which is macabre but true.

Of course the media outlets would say that is a public interest story and they have to report on it. Which is true. But all I am saying is that they have to think more cleverly on how they report on them. I think they should show no images of ISIS or their videos (no caps) and they shouldn't broadcast any of their statements.

ISIS are no different from these serial killers you see in the states who go on a mass murdering rampage, and the media report on it in such a way that they end up bigging up these fools. Remember that cinema shooting, the media nick-named the guy the Joker/Batman killer... Basically making the guy sound cool and edgy... Stupid!

It's got to the point now where I just choose not to read anything to do with ISIS. Not because I do not want to know what is happening in that part of the world, but because I do not want to hear or see what they want me to see. I think the media is inadvertently their mouth-piece.

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think IS are using the internet because they know that the media will report that they've murdered yet another innocent life. I don't think these animals should be given more attention that's necessary.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't agree.

The media just report on their activities and I can't see how this benefits ISIS.

ISIS existed before the media were aware of them and I think it would make little difference if they were ignored.

Think your analogy with serial killers is poor.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    I have been thinking about this for a while now, and I know many people will agree with me on this, but isn't the media, the way in which they have been reporting on ISIS, seem to be doing them a favour by promoting their activities. The Western media seem to be ISIS free publicity machine.
    uh, yeah. ISIS or whatever they call themselves this week make arses of themselves and get wall-to-wall press coverage for gawp value. Like any 'tards from a reality series really, but this one with rolling heads
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    If ISIS were really media-savvy, surely the best thing they could do would be to organise a big ol' press conference where they announce that they have no beef with the west and release all the remaining hostages?

Seems like it's okay to be merciless and strike fear into your enemies when you're fighting a guerilla war but when you're attempting to hold territory it'd be much smarter to appear as a legitimate organisation rather than a bunch of backward, bloodthirsty, savages.

After all, I suspect public support for conflict over there would soon wane if it seemed like ISIS weren't hell-bent on cutting the head off every white person they get their hands on.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    If ISIS were really media-savvy, surely the best thing they could do would be to organise a big ol' press conference where they announce that they have no beef with the west and release all the remaining hostages?.

I've thought about this because it makes no sense to call out the people that will blow you to bits, and both sides know it.

So the only answer I can come up with is they are effectively saying "Bring it on". They are willing to die and the reward is innocent people getting killed in the process, making the West figures of hate for more people that aren't extremists yet. So if the purpose is a long term recruiting tool, then they may be ahead of the game.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've thought about this because it makes no sense to call out the people that will blow you to bits, and both sides know it.

So the only answer I can come up with is they are effectively saying "Bring it on". They are willing to die and the reward is innocent people getting killed in the process, making the West figures of hate for more people that aren't extremists yet. So if the purpose is a long term recruiting tool, then they may be ahead of the game.

I really do think they're trying to provoke the West into starting a full on war with them. This could be why Britain and America have only launched airstrikes and haven't sent in ground troops. IS must be itching for America and Britain to send in troops.