Options

The Buffoonies **spoilers MUST BE in tags**

Comments

• Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    I am running a day behind, so have just finished 'Ted'. I am with Trollface on this one - I like it.

The thing is, I hate Ted - which I think is because John Ritter does such a good job playing him. We get to see the side of him which only Buffy sees and he is disturbing. She can fight vampires, but what can she do about a seemingly normal guy who her mum and friends adore? She can't slay him and make the problem go away...

...except that she does. At that point in the story, all we know is that there was a guy she didn't like and now he is dead. First time round, I found that a real shock. Made me think about what the slayer can do and how she would handle human threats she may face in her life - would she always turn to her natural instinct?

I think the moments between Buffy and Joyce once they go back home, where Joyce can't even bear to look at Buffy, are really well played by both actresses. It must be a dreadful situation to deal with and I think that they portray it so well.

OK, I really don't like the robot thing - I almost wish that Ted had been human, but then where would the show go from there..? There had to be a get out clause. I didn't necessarily like what it turned out to be, but I think that it was a great episode up until the reveal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ted Maul wrote: »
    I don't think it's irrational anger - there's a really clear line between the popularity of Buffy and the resurgence of vampire stories (particularly the Bella/Edward love story), and it gets glossed over way too often.

Ah, but you don't see how angry I get ;) But yes, I agree. Buffy was pretty popular (in the UK) but I never remember it getting as much mainstream critical attention as some of the other shows mentioned above. Ah well, I'll just content myself with watching it over and over again :p

On the episode Ted... I like it, much more than Bad Eggs which I believe was today's episode on the rewatch? I'll leave my comments on that until everyone has seen it. Eowyn sums up the plus points of Ted much better than I would but I'll just echo my favourite parts being the idea of what does Buffy do with an evil human and the interaction between Buffy and Joyce (who despite her denseness sometimes, I love!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Ted Maul wrote: »
    I don't think it's irrational anger - there's a really clear line between the popularity of Buffy and the resurgence of vampire stories (particularly the Bella/Edward love story), and it gets glossed over way too often.

I didn't watch the vampire documentary, but I heard about it and apparently there was a pretty glaring oversight with regards to Buffy...
    ...and vampire(s) with souls. Where's the Spike love? XD Always seems to be about Angel...

Bad Eggs tonight? Ugh... terrible episode. Don't really have much more to say!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Lyvanna wrote: »
    Sounds good, I'll try to catch it on iplayer. I hope if they do speak about recent Vampire mythology they at least touch on Buffy, I get irrationally angry when people skip straight to True Blood/Twilight/Being Human (even though I like two of those series).

Does mention Buffy and goes right back to the first Dracula films before vampires became cute!
    and yes there was no Spike just the idea that vampires were all bad hence Angel.

Bad eggs - again not for me. It was OK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watched 'Bad Eggs' and to be honest, I find it really difficult to summon up any enthusiasm for this one. All I can really say is that there were a few OK one-liners...

Really looking forward to the next two! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dislike for the episode comes twofold:

1. I hate spiders, so the scene with the thing scrabbling about in Buffy's bedroom at night... eeee! Not fun scary!

2. The whole third-act leaves me underwhelmed, what I usually like about Buffy is that it'll take the standard tropes and either subvert or put their own spin on them but Bad Eggs descends into pure blah of the usual 'bodysnatchers' fair.

That said, I don't think there is an episode of Buffy that I don't like some things in so I do like...
    - The teacher writing S E X on the board, makes me giggle because yes I'm 12.
    - Giles nearly squishing the egg
    - Xander and Buffy's reactions to the thing Xander almost ate.
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished "Bad Eggs" and I have to agree with the consensus. It's not actively bad, but it's far from the series at its best. The thing is, whenever I think of the episode, I think of it as a series 1 episode. In fact, I think of it as pretty much the same as the praying mantis one - both even end up in a basement. I think it's a sign of how far the programme has come since the beginning that it seems out of place here.

On the plus side, it's quite funny in places. But you'd expect nothing less from a Whedon programme.

And school finishes at 2.30 in America? They don't know they're born.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    trollface wrote: »
    Just finished "Bad Eggs" and I have to agree with the consensus. It's not actively bad, but it's far from the series at its best. The thing is, whenever I think of the episode, I think of it as a series 1 episode. In fact, I think of it as pretty much the same as the praying mantis one - both even end up in a basement. I think it's a sign of how far the programme has come since the beginning that it seems out of place here.

On the plus side, it's quite funny in places. But you'd expect nothing less from a Whedon programme.

And school finishes at 2.30 in America? They don't know they're born.

Not sure if my brain is making this up, but I'm sure that I've read somewhere in the past, that Bad Eggs actually was a season one script that they reworked for S2.

ETA: On second thoughts I think that it was actually Go Fish that was a season one script reworked for season 2. Gah, wish I could remember where I read it...
  • Options
    amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Lyvanna wrote: »
    Ah, but you don't see how angry I get ;) But yes, I agree. Buffy was pretty popular (in the UK) but I never remember it getting as much mainstream critical attention as some of the other shows mentioned above. Ah well, I'll just content myself with watching it over and over again :p
    !).

I think initially Buffy was regarded as 'kid's stuff' with the high school theme. As time passed, the quality of the writing did attract critical acclaim and a wider audience of academics and the literati. There were university seminars that analysed the show and it's underlying themes in great detail, forums where members including the literary intelligentia debated the use of the metaphor in the Buffyverse and symbolism in almost every aspect of the show.

When it ended the Guardian and a number of other broadsheets ran articles mourning it's passing and reflecting that it showed us a new kind of vampire who could be sexy, good looking and have relationships with humans. Most of the latest vampire movies or TV shows have all followed the same theme although imo opinion they lack the humour and sharp writing that made Buffy so enjoyable and satisfying.

Buffy was the first of a new genre and it took some time for it to be recognised as such so most of the critical acclaim came as it was reaching it's conclusion. Looking back on it now I appreciate it more than I did at the time I first watched it and like you can watch it over and over and still find new things to enjoy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit surprised nobody's commented on this one yet. Nothing to say that requires spoiler tags, just that it's cruel to have to wait the whole weekend until watching part 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bit surprised nobody's commented on this one yet. Nothing to say that requires spoiler tags, just that it's cruel to have to wait the whole weekend until watching part 2.

Sorry haven't managed to watch today's episode. i will catch up tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not long in, so just watching 'Surprise' now. Fantastic episode and we couldn't have timed it better to be watching this on a Friday, having to wait over the weekend for the next part. What a cliffhanger!

Will comment more once we have seen part 2.

I have to say again - what a cliffhanger! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I liked this episode too. Dru is much better now she is showing some personality other than moaning. Nice bit ot twisted evilness?
    Spike and Angel still looking good.
    Buffy conflicted we almost got a bit erotic - well who could blame her.
    And what a liff hanger indeed. I may cheat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody's watched this yet? With that cliffhanger? Man.
    It's funny, because there's actually little to say about this episode, other than that it's great from start to finish. Particularly love the cigarette, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watched Innocence today and thought it was really good but so sad.

Funny I love Spike being bad but didn't like it with Angel except for his interaction with Spike.

Buffy looked suitably tragic throughout but very thin I noticed.
    Liked Xander and Cordelia in this and thought Oz's comment to Willow about kissing her was wonderful.

All in all a good episode and had a much more grown up feeling to it.

However, back to wanting to slap Dru again.

Anyone else still watching?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, still here!

Love, love, love this episode! The whole thing - everything about it. So many dramatic moments that I can't pick any one that stands out above the others. Almost everyone either hurts someone or is hurt.

Special mention for Oz, as Tumpy mentioned. I think Oz is such a wonderful character.

Just to top it off, there is a commentary with Joss on this one! Off to listen to it now. Yay! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems it's me first again.
    Love this episode, even with Willows magical self-cleaning dungers. Love Oz. Love Willow. Love Oz and Willow.

And there's always mileage in some new person on the scene thinking Buffy's just a sweet, helpless little girl and her proving them wrong. That really never gets old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seems it's me first again.
    Love this episode, even with Willows magical self-cleaning dungers. Love Oz. Love Willow. Love Oz and Willow.

And there's always mileage in some new person on the scene thinking Buffy's just a sweet, helpless little girl and her proving them wrong. That really never gets old.

Yep, your schedule seems to run a little ahead of mine!

I love 'Phases'
    Much the same reasons - love Oz, love Willow, great characters together.

Lots of nice little lines, as ever - Buffy saying that Oz is "not an animal" at the beginning, practically everything that Oz says.

Nice little throwbacks to earlier episodes - the cheerleader's eyes following Oz, Xander's experience in 'The Pack'.

Yep, great episode for me! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry I'm late but I have watched Phases and enjoyed it.
    I did love the coming out bit and Xander's face.
    Oz a werewolf - nothing is ever simple for Buffy and friends. I haven't spoilered becasue this is today's episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much to enjoy in this one.
    Harmony! Amy! Oz explaining why he punched Xander! Buffy the rat! Miss Calendar getting infatuated with Xander! Aggressive Willow, both sexually (and Alyson Hannigan has said in interviews that she's actually very kinky in real life) and with an axe!

Plus, with a spoiler for future episodes:
    The genesis of Amy the rat! Such a cool thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, just catching up. Love, love, love Innocence, it's so sad but just a really good episode.

I'm not so keen on Phases, probably due to the cheesyness of the final line, but I do like the Angel stuff - he really feels scary, and the Larry-coming out stuff. (funnily I also like that Teresa likes Buffy, 'cause so often in Buffy it seems to be just Buffy's friends who like her... of course Teresa is a nice person, so she must die!)

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered today? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really like 'Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered' - it may be a little fluffy, but it is good fun and has some more touching moments which still really get me - in particular, when Giles asks Xander to leave. There is such disappointment in his face and Xander looks gutted by it. Also, when Xander turns Buffy down as it is not really her (difficult though she made it for him!)

Still plenty of fun in it too though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, Buffy in the black trenchcoat.... Damn Xander and his rare case of morality!

Passion -
    Fantastic episode, probably one of the best insights into just how evil Angelus is. In particular, him watching Buffy and Willow's reactions through the window is one of the best scenes of the whole series, chilling stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just catching up. I enjoyed BBB a lot. Bad and nasty Angelus with Dru to the rescue. Still can't take to her.
    Loved the women pawing Xander - might have been fun if the men had as well.
    Oz was great and liked Cordy in this one.
    Buffy's skirts get shorter and leopard skin!!!
    A good few episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And me first yet again.
    What is there to say about this one? I've been waiting for this one ever since Jenny turned up, and certainly ever since Angel turned up. The scene where Giles finds her in bed is just so achingly beautiful and heartbreaking. Partly it's down to Tony Head being a fantastic actor, partly it's the way it's directed, and partly it's down to just how nasty the whole set up is.

I think this is definitely the episode where, if anyone was still of the lingering impression that it was a kid's series, they'd be disabused of that notion. That's proper adult drama, right there, even if it is about vampires.

And, spoilers for upcoming episodes....
    The first of Joss' big deaths. Showing that he's not afraid to kill anyone, and that when he does he'll do it to someone you like, and have the fall out be believable and painful.