The Buffoonies **spoilers MUST BE in tags**

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hero
    The Good;
    Actually I rated this ep pretty weak until the last 5 minutes when it then became spectacular. Cordy's advertisement idea and the one she films with Doyle are hilarious but ultimately incredibly poignant. Good scene too when the kid tells Doyle his Halloween story.
    The Bad;
    I didn't really dig the demons in peril storyline and I thought the Naiz allegory with The Scourge was a bit thick (nowadays they'd be the Taliban). Also they seem to accept Angel into their ranks a little too easily. Even their vehicles look Nazi-like and DB's hair looks very 1940s.
    Best line:
    Doyle; Is that it? Am I done?

Jeez, how did they get away with that?
    Doyle's melting face
    Apocalypses: 4
    Angel Cliches (Cordy's ad is one big Angel cliche)
    Damsel in distress; nope, 2.
    Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
    The sidekick sacrifices himself to save the day rather than the hero
    In disguise; 3 as a Nazi/scourge
    DB get's his shirt off; 3
    Cordy's tatto;2
    Cheap Angel; 2. Exactly what do all these people owe Angel money for?
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Cordy: 5
    Angel: 4
    Wes: 1

Fang gang knocked out:
    Cordy: 8
    Angel: 7
    Doyle; 1

Kills:
    Cordy: none this ep. 3 vamps, ½ a demon from her time in Sunnydale
    Angel: 2 Scourge for Angel. So that gives Angel 8 vamps, 6 demons, 2 humans.
    Doyle; 1 vamp

Fang Gang go evil:
    Cordy: 1
    Angel: 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Cordy: 2
    Angel: 5

Characters killed: the treacherous first mate so we won't count him
    Recurring characters killed;
    1; Goodbye Doyle

Total number of Angel Investigations:
    2, Angel and Cordy

Angel Investigations shot:
    Angel: 5,
    Packing heat;
    Doyle; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
    Cordy: 1?
    Angel: 1;Buffy

Kinky dinky:
    The wonderfully named Big Randy.
    Captain Subtext;
    Doyle imagines Angel in tights.
    Know the face, different character; 2
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Buffy characters appearing in Angel; (unless someone can correct me no original Angel character ever appears on Buffy?)
    5; Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy
    Questions and observations;
    So goodbye Doyle, we hardly knew you. A good ending for the character but all the more sad by Glenn Quinn's death shortly afterwards. Cordy refers to 'one of the cheaper Baldwins' in her description of the advert. I always thought Adam Baldwin was one but according to IMDB no he's not. Angel on a motorbike, Cordy drives a truck, is there no end to her talents? Once again we see demons who are slowly being won over to humanity. The Scourge are trying to stop this but are unwittingly aping human's themselves.
    Marks out of 10; 7/10, a weak ep rescued by it's awesome finale
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parting Gifts
    The Good;
    Wonderful reintroduction for Wes and a nice period of mourning for Doyle. Plus Cordy's audition and the Oracles again.
    The Bad;
    Once again, Alexis Denisoff's name is in the titles, ruining the suprise a little
    Best line:
    "Grass stains!" (all in the delivery). Also liked Wes "I bet you always wondered what became of your old pal Wesley?"
    Angel; "Tell you the truth I never gave it much thought"

Barney's plans for Cordy are beyond horrible. But she teaches him not to mess with Queen C
    Angel Cliches
    In disguise; 3
    Cordy's tattoo; 3 yep she bares that beautiful midriff again
    Cheap Angel; 2
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Angel: 4

Fang gang knocked out: yep, Cordy
    Cordy: 9
    Doyle; 1

Kills:
    Cordy: none this ep. 3 vamps, ½ a demon from her time in Sunnydale
    Angel: 1 demon for Angel. So that gives Angel 8 vamps, 4 demons, 2 humans.
    Doyle; 1 vamp

Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:
    1;

2, Angel and Cordy

Packing heat;
    Doyle; 1

Kinky dinky:
    Wes in motorbiking leathers which are so tight they 'chafe'. He and Cordy share a second kiss, Cordy is sold as a slave
    for the first time
    Captain Subtext;
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Buffy characters appearing in Angel; (unless someone can correct me no original Angel character ever appears on Buffy?)
    6; Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes
    Another WR&H lackie but this one doesn't become a recurring character. Angel says that vamps don't sleep in coffins
    but Dracula does.
    Angel recognises talent when he sees it, Wes' translation skills alone make him invaluable.
    Marks out of 10; 7/10
  • Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    'The Batchelor Party' - the episode itself is OK, but enjoy it most for Doyle's back story - just so we get to learn more about him before his sacrifice in 'Hero'. I find 'Hero' very difficult to watch since Glenn Quinn passed away - it makes the final scene very painful.

Not quite caught up with 'Parting Gifts' yet, but will do so tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the end of 'Hero' has new meaning with Glenn's death. I do remember watching it before he died though, so I feel I can separate that.

Angel S5 spoiler:
    I get more upset by his mention/feature in You're Welcome

Somnambulist!

Aside from having a rockin' name I find this episode pretty average but I know it's in a lot of peoples favourites of S1. I guess it's because I never thought that it was Angel doing the killings and thought the flashbacks and psycho-analysis of Penn to be fairly standard stuff rather than anything interesting or new (in TV terms). Of course another Whedon-alum who was later Oscar nominated in Jeremy Renner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somnambulist

The Good;

Very good ep, we geninely suspect that Angel might be going bad, Penn gives a real sense of menace and some lovely stuff with Kate

The Bad;

Penn's haircut but apart from that not much. Would the police really let Kate go in by herself?

Best line:

Penn; "You know you'll never get to it the exit before I..."

Cordy (opening blinds letting the daylight pour in) "...go up like a match?"

(nothing more satisfying than seeing arrogance shot down)

Penn kills his sister and presumably goes on to massacre his family as Angelus did

Angel Cliches

In disguise; 3

Cordy's tattoo;3

Cheap Angel; 2

Fang Gang in bondage: Angel

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1

Kills:
    Cordy: 3 vamps, � a demon from her time in Sunnydale
    Angel: 8 vamps, 4 demons, 2 humans.
    Doyle; 1 vamp

Kate; 1 vamp

Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed: Penn's victims

1;

2, Angel and Cordy

Packing heat;

Doyle; 1

Kinky dinky:

Cordy comments that she makes the coffee and gets to chain the boss to the bed. The everyday life of a Hollywood assistant.

Captain Subtext;

Angel(us) is obviously Penn's father figure. Angel(us) is also obsessed with his father

Parking garages;

3, once again, Angel and Wes just seem to be able to drive into the police station.

Guantanamo Bay;

Very nice reminder from Angel(us) past and the beginning of the real tension between Kate and Angel. Another hint that vamps share some link with those they sired. Love Kate's white sweater. Wes is now in the title sequence. Angel Investigations has a runaway case so they're obviously taking ordinary PI cases in addition to their Supernatural work. Does Angel figure out Penn's plan because he knows him? Or is he heading to the police station to speak to Kate over the school bus plan? Or do Wes and he just overhear what's going on at the station with their police scanner? Penn in some ways is reminiscent of Scorpio in Dirty Harry (who also hijacks a school bus).

Met Jeremy Renner at a convention and a fascinating guy, plays in a band, old friend of DB's from their acting school, went on to star in 28 Weeks Later (as a character called Doyle?), SWAT and Jesse James with Brad Pitt before hitting the big time with The Hurt Locker

Marks out of 10; 9/10 would be 10/10 if it had more arc.
    Forum Member
    Lyvanna wrote: »
    Yes, the end of 'Hero' has new meaning with Glenn's death. I do remember watching it before he died though, so I feel I can separate that.

Angel S5 spoiler:
    I get more upset by his mention/feature in You're Welcome

Somnambulist!

Aside from having a rockin' name I find this episode pretty average but I know it's in a lot of peoples favourites of S1. I guess it's because I never thought that it was Angel doing the killings and thought the flashbacks and psycho-analysis of Penn to be fairly standard stuff rather than anything interesting or new (in TV terms). Of course another Whedon-alum who was later Oscar nominated in Jeremy Renner.

Yes, I remember 'Hero' first time round, but now I just can't watch it without thinking about it - I do agree with your spoiler though.

I quite like 'Somnambulist', but felt slightly disappointed. It is a few years since I rewatched and I was really looking forward to it, but was left slightly disappointed. I'm not sure exactly whhy - perhaps I had built it up a little before watching it as one I was really looking forward to.

Running a little behind, but will hopefully catch up in the next day or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Expecting

The Good;
    Cordy hits the town with the girls but gets more than she bargained for. Great to see Phantom Dennis back and his scenes with Cordy are beyond lovely.
    Love the reaction of the doctor and nurse during the ultrasound. Very good ep

The Bad;
    How come Cordy is dressed after sex?

Best line:
    Angel; You're not alone
    Cordy; That's kind of the problem

Cordy and co in the goop, yuck

Angel Cliches
    Damsel in distress; 8, a whole bevy of them

In disguise; 3

Cordy's tattoo;3

Cheap Angel; 2

Fang Gang in bondage:

Fang gang knocked out: Wes by Cordy
    Wes: 2
    Doyle; 1

Kills:
    Cordy: I'll give this one to Cordy. 3 vamps, 1½ demons
    Angel: half a demon so 8 vamps, 4 and 1/2 demons, 2 humans.
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1/2 a demon

Fang Gang go evil: yep, Cordy overwhelmed by her maternal instincts

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:

1;

2, Angel and Cordy

Angel Investigations shot: yep, Angel
    Angel: 6,

Packing heat; Wes with a pistol (presumably taken from the gun club?)
    Wes; 1
    Doyle; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: I thought it was Xander who had the thing for demons?
    Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast

Kinky dinky:
    How gorgeous are CCs friends, especially Sarina? Obviously this goes some VERY dark places, it smacks of GOT fetishism (beautiful women being raped and impregnated by demons/monsters/aliens who they then fall in love with), the ultrasound reminds me of the infamous maternity ward scene in Aliens vs Predator; Requiem (of course Joss wrote Alien Ressurection so he's no stranger to the concept). Considering that Joss is supposed to be this great pro-feminist he puts his heroines through a lot of nasty stuff, almost like he wants to have his cake and eat it. Wilson apparently nearly had phonesex with the resteraunt manager to get them in. Cordy drinks Angel's pig's blood, Angel states he never realised how disgusting it was until just then. At the end Cordy states she's learned sex is bad and men are evil. Angel agrees.

Captain Subtext;
    The girls assume Wes and Angel are a couple. Angel says it adds mystery. Angel describes Cordy as family and she says she trusts him and Wes implicitly.

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Fun story, putting Angel Investigations together more and more. How wonderful that when Wes has to come up with a name for him and Cordy he decides on Mr and Mrs Penborne. Angel comments that their French client made him want to drink a lot. Alcohol or blood? CC refers to Angel giving her date the 3rd degree which he and Doyle also did in the Bachelor Party. Wes refers to David and Goliath, the Watchers Council occasionally make biblical references.
    Marks out of 10; 7/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHE

The Good;

Angel and Wesley dancing at Cordy's party is possibly the funniest thing you've ever seen. A laudable if slightly heavy-handed rant against female circumsision. Also love the scene where Angel pretends to be an art guide and Angel and Phantom Dennis.

The Bad;

The scene where Wes tries to chat-up the girl at the party is cringeworthy, he's pretty much treated as the comic relief for this ep. The scene where the camera wheels around whilst Angel and Jiera talk, growing increasingly worked up carries on for so long and is so over the top it's almost parody.

Best line:

Mars; "The little sisters are chilling"

Also like Cordy's;

"I'm so glad you came. You know how parties are, you're always worried that no one is going to suck the energy out of the room like a giant black hole of boring despair but there you were in a cinch"

The whole 'unmaking' scene is just unwatchable. The contrast between it and the obvious affection between the 'unmade' girl and her captors when they send her back is incredibly creepy, especially her 'dead behind the eyes' expression and the way she refers to herself in third person.

Angel Cliches

Damsel in distress; 15, a whole bevy of them

Inverting the Hollywood cliche; Wes and CC snooping at the garden centre amazingly don't get caught.

In disguise; 3

DB get's his shirt off; yep, he feels the need for a shower

Cordy's tattoo;3

Cheap Angel; 2

Fang Gang in bondage:

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1

Kills:
    Cordy: I'll give this one to Cordy. 3 vamps, 1½ demons
    Angel: half a demon so 8 vamps, 4 and 1/2 demons, 2 humans.
    Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 1/2 a demon

Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed: 5, the poor guys burned to death by the demonbabes

1;

3, Angel and Cordy and Wes officially joins the firm for the first time

Angel: 6,

Packing heat;

Wes; 1

Doyle; 1

Kinky dinky:

I'd say that Bai Ling is lovely but that seems quite redundant even with the ridges and violet eyes (she's also in Southland Tales with SMG). Cordy's friend Laura also sounds like a fun girl as is her friend 'Pants on' Diego. Naked hotties on ice who seems to have a strong effect on both Wes and Angel. Mars says his Shaman could never turn away 'Scantily clad women in distress'. Wes refers to the girls at the party as 'fillies'.

Captain Subtext;

Obviously this is an allegory against female circumsision (once watched a documentary on it and afterwards went and got drunk for the first time in my life to try to blank the memory). Although you wonder if the males' fear of the females is more to do with them burning people to death rather than just simple chauvanism? Note that the male demons don't hurt any humans, it's Jhira and co who killing and she's quite prepared to let Wes and Cordy die for her cause. Not to stereotype but Wes has a knowledge of flowers in addition to the occult.

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Angel once again beats his way to the truth

Buffy characters on Angel;

Angel refers to his time in Hell again where he remarks he knew many of the people. AI use their mobile phones to good effect. It'll take the Sunnydale Scoobies another 3 years to get theirs. Great performance from Sean Gunn as the spa manager, always thought he was in Desperate Housewives but he's not. Wes handles himself well in a fight for the first time. The only ep of Angel with a sequence over the end titles (Buffy does it in The Puppet Show). It seems unlikely that Angel actually knew Manet or Baudelaire as he would actually have been Angelus at the time?

Marks out of 10; 7/10, Keith Topping loathes this ep but I think it's quite good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone - now I have watched according to the schedule while I was away and made notes on each episode. I just need to type them up and post them and I'll try and do that tomorrow so I'll be up to speed. I am enjoying watching them so far with only a couple of meh episodes so far.
    Forum Member
    Tumpy wrote: »
    Hi everyone - now I have watched according to the schedule while I was away and made notes on each episode. I just need to type them up and post them and I'll try and do that tomorrow so I'll be up to speed. I am enjoying watching them so far with only a couple of meh episodes so far.

I plan to catch up this evening - need to work it out, but think I am a couple of days behind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I need to catch up too! I have really been enjoying the re-watch so will try to get up to speed asap and share my thoughts!

Just need to work out where we are up to...
    Forum Member
    Right catching up. I still haven’t typed up my ones from over the last two weeks but here is Monday’s I hope. Going to watch Eternity now.

The Ring

Cordy and Wesley watching daytime TV – hehe
    Gambling never pays except for the bookies!
    Howler demon! Love the idea of a demon database. Creatures in boiler suits that aren’t weevils.
    Ah demon fighting – gotta love the human race.
    I think they want Angel to fight – nasty people.
    Hey Wesley hides light under bushel!!
    Clever way in and clever Cordy getting a bracelet.
    So she gets him out whoever she is. I wasn’t sure who she was.
    Demons together and free – whoops.
    An okay episode that one but once again showing that people are often worse than demons.
    Forum Member
    Eternity

Cordy acting very badly! LOL
    Angel to the rescue of ‘Raven’ – ah the mysterious rescuer act. That will always intrigue a woman I’ve found!
    Angel gets a crush – watch that soul Angel!
    Stalker is a set up – publicity and she wants to be young forever I guess – Hollywood is a bad place for that sort of thing.
    Oh dear I guess Angel doesn’t react well to that drug and becomes Angelus – true happiness – artificial losing of soul – oh dear again!
    And then it was suddenly all over. Cordy is getting good at this fighting thing.
    Again okay episode but nothing spectacular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THE RING

The Good;
    Lilah! I know she's an evil bitch but I can't help loving her anyway. Cordy and Wes' police double act is also a highlight

The Bad;
    Pretty much the rest, Angel as Spartacus, not bad but not very involving. The brother's plan to get Angel into the ring seems unnecessarily complex? Also Angel seems to be very easily overcome by their thugs considering what we know him to be capable off?

Best line:
    Wes; Something's going down, something with 'The Man'

Wes pinning the guys hand to the wall with his crossbow bolt then twisting it. Fingers in a box One McNamara brother casually killing the other.

Angel Cliches

Damsel in distress; 15,

In disguise; 3
    DB get's his shirt off; no but he wears his vest top most of the time

Cordy's tattoo;3

Cheap Angel; 2

Fang Gang in bondage: Angel in the cuffs
    Angel: 6

Fang gang knocked out: Angel, twice
    Angel: 9
    Doyle; 1

Kills:
    Cordy: 3 vamps, 1½ demons
    Angel: one demon. 11 vamps, 6 and 1/2 demons, 2 humans.
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1/2 a demon
    Kate; 3 vamps

Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:

2;

3, Angel and Cordy and Wes

Angel Investigations shot: yep
    Angel: 7,

Packing heat; Wes for the second time
    Wes; 2
    Doyle; 1

Kinky dinky:
    Wes states that Cordy wears high heels and a push up bra.

Captain Subtext;
    Cordy insinuates that Angel cross dresses.

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;
    Wes tortures the bookie

Cordy considers calling the police. Even if they believed her is demon fighting illegal? Cordy mentions her pony,
    Lilah's talk with Angel foreshadows him joining WR&H in season 5
    Marks out of 10; 5/10, an ep mainly notable for the introduction of Lilah
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit worrie no one else is watching this but anyway I still am so yesterday I think it was

Five by five
    And the moral is don’t try to pick up strange girls who kick arse especially if they’re called Faith
    Ah that woman is back still not sure what she’s up to. I may not have been paying attention when I shoud have been but she's obviously in some organisation.
    So Faith gets to play a bit. She takes Wesley hostage. Poor Faith she’s not really bad just trying to convince herself that she is. I always thought that her heart wasn't reall in it. But lucky girl gets a hug from Angel.
    Better than last two episodes I think
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Ah that woman is back still not sure what she’s up to. I may not have been paying attention when I shoud have been but she's obviously in some organisation.

That's Lilah, she's another lawyer from Wolfram & Hart (hence why she's with Lindsay).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit worrie no one else is watching this but anyway I still am so yesterday I think it was

Five by five
    And the moral is don’t try to pick up strange girls who kick arse especially if they’re called Faith
    So Faith gets to play a bit. She takes Wesley hostage. Poor Faith she’s not really bad just trying to convince herself that she is. I always thought that her heart wasn't reall in it. But lucky girl gets a hug from Angel.
    Better than last two episodes I think

Yeah, 5x5 was for a long time my favourite Angel ep. But you didn't recognise the wonderful Lilah, really?
    I'd still pick up Faith, nothing sexier than a girl who can kick your ass:D

ETERNITY
    The Good;
    Nice central concept, lovely to see Oliver again and the scens with him and Rebecca and Angel and Rebecca are also good. Tamara Gorski is very good as she also was in Hercules although her Irish accent is just as bad as DBs.
    The Bad;
    The explanation that the drugs effects are only temporary is stupid, it's not like the 'happy' Buffy gave Angel lasted for weeks (or if it did I'm doing it wrong?) In season 4 when they need to bring Angelus out why not just give him some of this? Why does Angelus cut the phones, who are they going to call?
    Best line:
    Rebecca (after Angel tells her he doesn't kill any more) "There's a support group for everything in this town"
    Angel(us)? spraying the blood over Rebecca
    Apocalypses: 4 Cordy tells Rebecca that Angel saved the world but he also points out he tried to destroy it
    Angel Cliches
    Damsel in distress; 15,
    Inverting the Hollywood cliche; Angel tries to act casual about saving Rebecca but you can see he's miffed when the papers don't mention him.
    In disguise; 3
    DB get's his shirt off; yep, after Rebecca spills her drink on it
    Cordy's tattoo;3
    Cheap Angel; 2
    Fang Gang in bondage: Cordy chains the boss to the bed again

Fang gang knocked out: Wes and Angel(us)
    Angel: 10
    Wes: 3
    Doyle; 1

Kills:
    Angel: 11 vamps, 6 and 1/2 demons, 2 humans.
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1/2 a demon

Fang Gang go evil: Angel and how!
    Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang: Angelus

Characters killed:
    2;

Angel Investigations shot: just blanks this week
    Angel: 7,
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 2
    Doyle; 1

Kinky dinky:
    Cordy calls Rebecca a ****. How long did she know Wilson for before jumping into bed with him and his Hackslaw beast?
    Captain Subtext;
    Cordy says she'd have picketed the studio but lacked 'sensible shoes' (interesting considering the furore surrounding Angel's cancellation). Angel says that Ernest Borgnine is a 'skilled lover'?
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Can't quite imagine Doyle and Angel at an Ibsen play? Wes and Angel seem much more at home. Wes' remark of ET meaning Emma Thompson is SOOO him. Angel thinks Frank Langella is the best Dracula (did he ever meet the real deal? Langella doesn't physically resemble him). Wonder what he'd have made of his Oscar nominated turn in Frost vs Nixon? Angelus says he never killed a famous person which is reassuring.
    Marks out of 10; 8/10 good ep, nice character development and a little to say about Hollywood
    Stay tuned, hurricane Faith is on her way!saturn5
    Forum Member

I am! I am just running a little behind as it has been a hectic week! Will catch up over the next few days, honest!
    Forum Member
    Sanctuary

On to Thursday’s now. I’m behind so trying to catch up

So what do you do about Faith?
    Angel is being nice and the others don’t like it. Faith has gone back on her contract so will there be a contract on her now.
    Who are Wesley’s friends then? Ah they are from the Council.
    Hmm that demon is a little unpleasant. But no match for Angel and Faith obviously and then Buffy appears – whoops. Buffy’s obviously not feeling very forgiving.
    And now Wesley has a go but changes his mind an Faith runs.
    Great shot Wesley – I warm to him and more kicking ass.
    Faith does the right thing and gives herself up. Angel is right to get annoyed with Buffy I think especially as she has a boyfriend.
    Well lots of angst in that one but entertaining.
    Going to watch Friday's now. I hope I have the schedule right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIVE BY FIVE

The Good;
    All of it, brilliant episode that gives Angel it's first 10/10 story. It's my all time favorite Angel ep AND contains my nearly all time favourite Angel moment, Wes coming across the weeping Faith in Angel's arms and dropping the knife.

The Bad;
    If you think there's anything bad in this ep, go to the doctor because you're clearly crazy

Best line:
    Cordy 'Generally you don't change a guy. Scratch the surface and what do you get? More surface!' (the events of Expecting still sting obviously)

Faith tortures Wes, horribly. She hurts Lee too but who cares? Darla describes killing children who 'squeal like little piggies', eugh!

Angel Cliches

Damsel in distress; 15,
    Inverting the Hollywood cliche; loathsome pimp picks up beautiful lost girl who then turns around and beats the crap out of him! Good for her!

In disguise; 4, Angel masquerades as a lawyer

DB get's his shirt off; 5

Cordy's tattoo;3

Cheap Angel; he doesn't carry any cash with him

Fang Gang in bondage: Wes tied to a chair
    Angel: 8

Fang gang knocked out: Cordy and Wes
    Wes: 4
    Doyle; 1

Kills:
    Angel: 3 demons so 11 vamps, 9 and 1/2 demons, 2 humans.
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1/2 a demon
    Kate; 3 vamps

Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:

2;

Angel Investigations shot: Angel by Faith
    Angel: 8,

Packing heat; Angel tries to shoot Faith in the leg but fires blanks
    Wes; 2
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 1

Kinky dinky:
    Lindsey offers to 'get Faith off' but she's heard that from guys before (although Lilah promises she'll impress Faith?). The guy who picks Faith up at the bus station is clearly looking to be her pimp but she gives him what he deserves. In a blow to Cesly fans CC proclaims that hell will freeze over before she has sex with Wes. Faith dancing is always a highlight. Darla and Angel(us) refer to 'playing games'.

Captain Subtext;
    Lilah picks Faith up in the club. Faith remarks she's not much of a talker, more of a doer

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

7; Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith

Note that when Angel catches the crossbow bolt Faith fires at him it's nowhere near his heart, she just wants to goad him into the fight.
    At this stage Wolfram and Hart don't realise that they need Angel for their prophecy so are quite happy to try and kill him.
    We have flashbacks to resouled Angel having broken up with Darla, starving but isn't able to bring himself to kill in order to eat. All of the WR&H lawyers have the same initials, LM? How does Angel enter the thugs apartment when he's not invited? PTB or is the guy squatting?
    Marks out of 10; 10/10 my favourite Angel ep ever
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SANCTUARY

The Good;
    Just when you think it can't get any better, Buffy arrives and all is good with the world.

The Bad;
    All still fantastic

Best line:
    NEARLY-Detective (to Kate) Everyone knows you've gone all Scully
    Kate; Mulder's the believer, Scully's the skeptic
    Detective; Scully's the chick, right?
    but the winner, one of my favourites which I use all the time is;
    Buffy; "A cry for help is when you shout 'Help, help!' in a loud voice"

For all those afraid of needles avoid the syringe scene. Faith's daydream about killing Angel

Angel Cliches

Damsel in distress; 15,
    Inverting the Hollywood cliche; the popcorn scene. Plus Wes calling Angel on his decision to protect Faith.

In disguise; 3

DB get's his shirt off; yep, in the shower again 6

Cordy's tattoo;3

Cheap Angel;

Fang Gang in bondage: Angel in cuffs and possibly Faith too

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1

Kills:
    Angel: 3 demons so 11 vamps, 9 and 1/2 demons, 2 humans.
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 1/2 a demon
    Kate; 3 vamps
    According to Boo's stats Faith has killed 16 vamps, 5 demons, 3 humans. Add another demon to the list here.

Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:

2;

Packing heat;
    Wes; 2
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 1

Kinky dinky:
    Faith let's slip that she's bedded Buffy's new beau, Riley Finn. Which is news to Angel! Does Cordy not keep touch with things in Sunnydale or did she just not want to tell him?

Captain Subtext;
    Buffy refers to Faith's 'pouty lips and heaving bosom', interesting she thinks of her in that way? The rooftop scene feels riven with hidden passions. Buffy refers to Riley saying she trust him. Heading for a fall again. The Watcher's Council refer to the insult 'ponce' again.

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;
    Kate plans to throw Angel into a cell exposed to the rising sun.

Buffy characters on Angel; 11
    Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla

What exactly does Angel do with the Watcher's team? Surely Kate must lock them up for turning the streets of LA into a bulletfest? Nice to see that Wes and Buffy are now on good terms, unfortunately this probably marks the nadir of the Buffy/Angel romance and the Kate/Angel relationship. Jelly doughnut's again, someone in the writing staff must have a thing for them. Buffy has the worst timing ever when walking in on Faith and Angel. How does Giles find out about Faith? Sources in the Watcher's council or do Wes or Cordy phone Sunnydale. Good acting by Wes, you really think he might have sided with the Watchers for a moment. How can Wes and Buffy just walk into the police station?
    Marks out of 10; 10/10 just great, stunning
  • MariaBMariaB Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    I am! I am just running a little behind as it has been a hectic week! Will catch up over the next few days, honest!

I'm watching, and it's all your fault! :D;)

I confess to lurking here for quite some time. I found this thread whilst in the middle of my annual Buffy re-watch and kept following Saturn5's excellent summaries and all your comments. I have always steered cleared of Angel, I never really took to the character in Buffy and wasn't sure I'd like the spin-off. But various comments on here (and a cheap box set) convinced me to give it a go and now I'm hooked. So much so that I've bought all the box sets, watched all season 1 and watched the first 4 episodes of season 2 yesterday afternoon. I'm enjoying it so much more than I thought I would but the box sets are next to the TV whispering "watch me, watch me". I'm trying to be strong or else I can see myself racing through them all and I want to make the most of a first viewing of something I thought I wouldn't like and have ended up loving.

I don't post often but will be following the thread whilst I'm watching, and who knows, I might try Firefly next. I'm already a Dr Horrible fan so might as well go the whole-Whedon :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MariaB wrote: »

I'm watching, and it's all your fault! :D;)

I confess to lurking here for quite some time. I found this thread whilst in the middle of my annual Buffy re-watch and kept following Saturn5's excellent summaries and all your comments. I have always steered cleared of Angel, I never really took to the character in Buffy and wasn't sure I'd like the spin-off. But various comments on here (and a cheap box set) convinced me to give it a go and now I'm hooked. So much so that I've bought all the box sets, watched all season 1 and watched the first 4 episodes of season 2 yesterday afternoon. I'm enjoying it so much more than I thought I would but the box sets are next to the TV whispering "watch me, watch me". I'm trying to be strong or else I can see myself racing through them all and I want to make the most of a first viewing of something I thought I wouldn't like and have ended up loving.

I don't post often but will be following the thread whilst I'm watching, and who knows, I might try Firefly next. I'm already a Dr Horrible fan so might as well go the whole-Whedon :D

Thanks you're too kind:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WAR ZONE

The Good;

Charlie Gunn, yay! David Nabbit too and some nice humour at the brothel (love the characterisation of the Madam, hard as nails but extremely streetwise as to the sensitive realities of her business)

The Bad;

Not much, good story although the slum allegory is laid on a bit thick.

Best line:

Gunn; "I don't need advice from some middle class white dude who's dead"

A nasty incestuous vibe between Gunn and his vamped-sister.

Angel Cliches

Damsel in distress; 15, in this case it's the male characters who need help

Inverting the Hollywood cliche; We expect a patrician speech from Angel to Gunn at the end. Instead Angel actually asks Gunn for his help in future, again recognising talent when he sees it. CC and Wes rescue Angel who forgets to use his mobile phone to get himself out of the meatlocker.

In disguise; 4

DB get's his shirt off; yep, Angel getting patched up so 7

Cordy's tattoo;3

Cheap Angel; A paying client for AI, Cordy must be so happy. Angel also wants to 'see the cheque'

Fang Gang in bondage:

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1

Kills:
    Angel: 3 vamps and 1 demon for Angel so 4 demons so 14 vamps, 10 and 1/2 demons, 2 humans.
    Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 1/2 a demon

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn;

Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang: no but Angel refers to himself as Angelus to intimidate the other vamps

Characters killed: 2 of Gunn's people killed.

2;

Total number of Angel Investigations: Gunn a long way from joining yet

Packing heat; no but one of Gunn's guys uses a flamethrowers which Wes will employ later to good effect.

Wes; 2

Doyle; 1

Angel; 1

Kinky dinky:

Angel's entire visit to Madame Dorians and the David Mabbet stuff is just SOOO out there, especially the tail gag (this was the era of Madame Alex/Hedi Fleiss etc). That said of all the demon girls am I the only one to find Lina the only attractive one? One of the demons appears to be one of the girls from She, her Ko well and truly intact (hope she's still not burning people)Cordelia is once again tempted to prostitute herself to a wealthy man as she was in the pilot. Cordy says that David's name feels 'Good in her mouth'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I don't think even Faith would say that?)

Captain Subtext;

Not so subtle racial and social hints, even the vamps bemoan the sort of people they now have to feed on.

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Angel once again tortures a vamp

Buffy characters on Angel; 11

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla

Gunn's strategy seems ok to me, taking the fight to the enemy rather than waiting until they come to you. By contrast Angel lets the vamps go at the end, to kill others? The vamps attacking Gunn's headquarters resemble the aliens in the War of the Worlds series. Both Angel and Gunn have killed their sisters.

Marks out of 10; 6/10, an ok ep but one that's hard to watch at times, largely significant for the introduction of Gunn (and his truck) and his motivations
    Forum Member
    So three episodes for the price of one. I don’t know if I’m caught up now.

War Zone
    Love the dungeons and dragons line.
    A demon brothel!!!!
    Meanwhile gang warfare goes on. Angel’s bad side is always fun.
    Automatic vampire killing van – now that really isn’t fair play
    So lots of gang stuff and stay out of my territory.
    OK but never gripped by the social realism stuff.

Blind Date
    Sorry didn’t write as I was watching so this is what I can remember.
    So the lawyer turns and then goes back again – money talks. It was an interesting episode but it didn’t grab me. I had no feelings for the girl at all and didn’t understand why she’d chosen to blind herself and then just be up for hire.

To Shanshu in LA
    Millionaire geek – lovely purple cloak. Cordy is still fun in this. And Angels going to die but when – after the coming battles. Angel has no life which is true so nothing will change and he can’t connect or he loses his soul.
    Watch out Cordy oh dear that looks painful and people just look on. So who is the cloaked man in the mask then? I assume he’s killed the oracle.
    Oh dear I hope Wesley got out. That’s going to cause a lot of damage. Hooray Wesley is still with us.
    Hmmm Cordy without make up and a special symbol. But there are no oracles because mysterious man killed them. But a ghost tells him what’s going on.
    So some clues for Angel and handy to have made some friends. So what’s the Raising then? This could be a bit Beastly and it involves lawyers – so who are the senior partners really.
    Silly Lindsay so what’s in the box?
    Please I hate maggots. There should really be a warning.
    This episode is a bit bloody isn’t it but fun anyway. Good on you Angel and Cordy comes back.
    So the prophecy is that Angel becomes human as a reward. ‘They’d be nice’
    So just a few things before then!
    Darla?