Can Anything Save This £20 Million Turkey of a Show?

Comments

• Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth pointing out that last night BGT had it's lowest ever rated show with 7.8 million viewers. I wonder if people will start calling that a "Turkey" as well?;)

Of course it's not a Turkey yet, much like The Voice isn't, but I wonder if the press will lay into it in the same way? I won't hold my breath:rolleyes:
  • happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth pointing out that last night BGT had it's lowest ever rated show with 7.8 million viewers. I wonder if people will start calling that a "Turkey" as well?;)

Of course it's not a Turkey yet, much like The Voice isn't, but I wonder if the press will lay into it in the same way? I won't hold my breath:rolleyes:

The difference with BGT is that you have different acts every night this week, last nights line up looked very poor and started with dancing grannies who could hardly move at all. There is a good singer on tonight -Sam Kelly( I think) and the rest of the line up looks good.
    The problem for the voice is that it is hard to follow once you miss a few weeks. Also the fact that the second live show rated badly means that alot of people won't have seen the second bunch of singers or know much about them and probably won't tune back in. It has lost momentum early, a bit like Dancing on Ice, and that must be a concern( even if people say it is not)
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happy tv wrote: »
    Also the fact that the second live show rated badly means that alot of people won't have seen the second bunch of singers or know much about them and probably won't tune back in.

8.2 million isn't bad ratings though. All shows would kill for those ratings to be frank. Also time shift will add over another million.
  • ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ratings only really started to go down when Britain's Got Talent moved the show so that it didn't clash.

When Britain's Got Talent finishes, I'm predicting, (and hoping), that the ratings will go back up, because it won't be competing against it, or in fact, any other talent show.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    The problem with shows like this is that no one, has to be talented, for loads of people to vote for their favourites. It makes loadsa money for eg Simon Cowell and the BBC etc.
    Once people realised that many of the public are gullible enough to spend money voting although they already pay for a TV licence, there must have been lots of champagne corks popping in celebration.
    It's probably a buzz to feel as if there's a bit of power about voting but it's not the voters, who have luxury salaries.
    I watched a documentary about Peter Green who was in the original Fleetwood Mac. It showed him playing the guitar absolutely brilliantly and singing his own composition, ' Man of the World'. Superb. Hundreds of other performers could be listed.. from every era...all of them, incredibly talented. Show contestants ...most of them, by contrast, are picked in terms of their appeal to each demographic.It doesn't matter if they aren't really talented. I wish that the pubic would wise up about their money and who they're giving it to.

ITV yes, I agree the phone votes are a big scam, but The BBC can't make money from phone votes, Its against their charter so they only get what it costs to run them and then give the rest to charity
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rated_2000 wrote: »
    also some of the strongest people getting ditched in battle rounds is flawed and now we are left with some people who are out of their depth
    A couple maybe, but I doubt it made any real difference and those who are/were out of their depth will get weeded out..
    the panel is missing a "bad guy" simon cowell, craig revel horwood, jason gardiner play an important role in these types of shows
    If you want banal mindless staged drivel like that then stick with X-Factor...

The voice is for people who are actually interested in music and how the acts progress - we don't all constantly need to be spoon-fed infantile "entertainment" to remain interested.
    how boring was dancing on ice without the bitchy jason!
    It wasn't... If anything if was greatly improved by the absence of his irrelevant comment and vying for attention.
  • MichelleMKMichelleMK Posts: 2,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curiously, the only finalist on the US version whose performances were all enjoyable (they sang three songs each), was the finalist put through by the coach and not the public. I'd say he has been the most consistent over the entire season too.

The fact that the picks are about the credibility of the coaches is what sets The Voice apart from some other singing competitions. It would be awful to leave it entirely in the hands of a public who gave us Leon Jackson, Little Mix, Matt Cardle, Joe McElderry (for example).

Yeah god forbid the public actually getting it right and voting for someone who can actually sing really well/hold a note without the benefit of autotune - what were they thinking :rolleyes:

I loved the blind auditions of the Voice but feel let down by the Live shows which seem to be focussing less on the vocals now - so it seems to me that the Voice coaches are compromising their 'credibility'. So much for setting themselves apart from shows like XF - and no wonder the Voice lost a couple of million viewers when the live shows started. What a shame - was really hoping that the Voice would give the XF a run for its money. I've never been entertained with XF by the joke acts or overhyping of those with limited ability so was really looking forward to the Voice. Unfortunately IMO I've not heard a contestant on the Voice anywhere close to the talented vocals of either Joe or Leona. Very disappointed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My big problem with the Voice is the format of the how people are getting put out in the live shows. Two weeks of getting rid of 1 act from each act I can understand but just putting up 2 judges against each other is not good. We need to vote who we like as some of the judges have very mediocre people compared to others. For me I feel for Danny as he has the strongest acts
  • happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought at this stage of the show that we might see all the acts on the one night. I really think that they need to look again at the format. It is easy to forget the contestants when you only see them every two weeks. I looked at the song choices for tonight and they are not great, but will be watching anyway, hoping for an improvement.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main problem for me is the huge build up where the teams are selected followed by the mad rush to whittle them down. We do not get time to see them properly vocally challenged or get to know them.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happy tv wrote: »
    I thought at this stage of the show that we might see all the acts on the one night. I really think that they need to look again at the format. It is easy to forget the contestants when you only see them every two weeks. I looked at the song choices for tonight and they are not great, but will be watching anyway, hoping for an improvement.

i love how divided opinion is about everything :D, I love the song choices for tonight generally, I'm really glad they're not the usual karaoke choices. ;)

I also like the team aspect of the show, so that all the coaches lose acts evenly. I don't like losing two from each tonight though, that's rushing things too much, but generally I do like the losing one from each team at a time, it stops the final ending up as the 4 cute guys. If it was a free vote we'd probably end up with Tyler, Vince, Aleks and Max in the final. We'd lose Ruth, Becky, Bo, Jaz so the team aspect helps keep the talented rather than the cute, especially if there are two cute boys in the same team. The same person's going to win regardless of how we get there.
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer, OP, sadly was "no". Even BBC news -on the eve of the Final - this evening were admitting that the programme was indeed a flop, a "turkey" as you termed it and nothing did save it.

It's a shame because I wanted to enjoy it so much and did enjoy bits of it, but it was a grind, a really dull affair for a big Saturday night show. The points you raise in the OP were all spot on and it's just a pity the BBC didn't read your post and act on it.

I really hope they press ahead with a second series, but NONE of the current judges shoud return as they have all been truly awful. I'm a huge Jessie J fan musically but she has been absolutely loathsome on this show. I only want to hear her singing from now on, not speaking. And the next series has got to be about the voice in a real sense. This series was a con and an anti climax. Whoever wins will never be heard of again. But I really believe with some major surgery, and sticking to what this show should have been about all along, maybe open auditions, the BBC can save this turkey and show they have not wasted the millions of our money they have poured into it.

I feel sorry for all the people on this thread who constantly moan about negative threads, as if it's the negative threads which have caused the programme to fail rather than the failing programme which has generated the negative threads. But I too want this show to succeed and to be a great Saturday night show every spring. But to fix things we first need to be honest and stop taking our anger out on other forum members who are just being honest. Some of the pure hate shown on here for people who criticise the show is just frightening. Now even the BBC news is confirming what the OP and others have been saying all along.

It's to late to save this series. Yes it was a complete turkey. But I think this should and could come back with a second series that is ten times better than the cynical, predictable offerings of Simon Cowell.

The great thing about life is that we can learn from our mistakes and come back better and stronger.

I'm not really bothered about the final tomorrow night, but I am actually, far more, looking forward to The Voice 2013. I think it will be great.
  • BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did BBC News say?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even bacon would save this rotten turkey,
  • BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »

Thanks, pretty clear there's going to be an extensive post-mortem and Danny Cohen is already feeling the heat for it for an article like the first to appear just before the final.

Hardly good for interesting people in the final either, it's almost like pre-emptive damage control.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somehow after the battle rounds they have managed to hurry up slowly. Momentum & buzz all disappeared. It needs to air of at least 2 more weeks and/or be on more often. As things are it ran out of steam & became very disjointed.

Apart from the unexpected (by TPTB) exits last week there has been no anticipation and has therefore lost momentum.

Next time they need to have judges who are prepared to fully commit to the show by more than a few short coaching sessions & Saturday nights for a few weeks. In this respect, less famous Coaches with more enthusiasm & commitment would be better.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shane54 wrote: »
    The answer, OP, sadly was "no". Even BBC news -on the eve of the Final - this evening were admitting that the programme was indeed a flop, a "turkey" as you termed it and nothing did save it.

It's a shame because I wanted to enjoy it so much and did enjoy bits of it, but it was a grind, a really dull affair for a big Saturday night show. The points you raise in the OP were all spot on and it's just a pity the BBC didn't read your post and act on it.

I really hope they press ahead with a second series, but NONE of the current judges shoud return as they have all been truly awful. I'm a huge Jessie J fan musically but she has been absolutely loathsome on this show. I only want to hear her singing from now on, not speaking. And the next series has got to be about the voice in a real sense. This series was a con and an anti climax. Whoever wins will never be heard of again. But I really believe with some major surgery, and sticking to what this show should have been about all along, maybe open auditions, the BBC can save this turkey and show they have not wasted the millions of our money they have poured into it.

I feel sorry for all the people on this thread who constantly moan about negative threads, as if it's the negative threads which have caused the programme to fail rather than the failing programme which has generated the negative threads. But I too want this show to succeed and to be a great Saturday night show every spring. But to fix things we first need to be honest and stop taking our anger out on other forum members who are just being honest. Some of the pure hate shown on here for people who criticise the show is just frightening. Now even the BBC news is confirming what the OP and others have been saying all along.

It's to late to save this series. Yes it was a complete turkey. But I think this should and could come back with a second series that is ten times better than the cynical, predictable offerings of Simon Cowell.

The great thing about life is that we can learn from our mistakes and come back better and stronger.

I'm not really bothered about the final tomorrow night, but I am actually, far more, looking forward to The Voice 2013. I think it will be great.

What a great, well-reasoned post that was a pleasure to read. Thank-you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »

It's always good to watch people in denial:

Jessie J: If you don't watch the final you're not COOL
    De Mol: The BBC show has lost a little bit of it's audience...
    Cohen: The most successful live television show launch.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is why we have a turkey.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's always good to watch people in denial:

Jessie J: If you don't watch the final you're not COOL
    De Mol: The BBC show has lost a little bit of it's audience...
    Cohen: The most successful live television show launch.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is why we have a turkey.

JJ said that at the beginning of the main semi-fiinal show, not during the news. You didn't watch the main show, did you?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane54 wrote: »

A great post. I really wanted to like the show as well. But for me, the whole concept has been confusing.
    However much you dislike the X-factor, the premise of the show is clear. It sets out to find marketable pop artists (in the loosest sense of the word)..and make loads of money for Cowell.
    What was the intended purpose of "The Voice" ? To find great singers, more suited to musical theatre, or even opera ? In that case why have a panel of coaches/judges who are all connected to the pop world ?
    The USP appeared to be the revolving chairs, but has that made much difference ? I guess this was meant to allow a few "ugly ducklings" who might have been rejected on appearance by the rival shows to succeed on the The Voice.. But I'm not sure this has been a success, the public are not going to close their eyes and vote on voice alone. Appearance and personality will always be important, it's one of those unfair facts of life..particularly in show business.
    Add to that the production values, it's just not been the "big saturday night show" that was promised. I can't quite put my finger on the reason why, but it has been dull and kind of lacklustre from the start.
    There was none of the sheer glitz and sparkle of SCD, which the Beeb does so superbly. Different type of show I know, but the same time slot and audience demographic.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without reading all other posts I would suggest -

Start it in January avoiding BGT, major football matches and sunny evenings.

Have only one show a weekend.

Less live show contestants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ said that at the beginning of the main semi-fiinal show, not during the news. You didn't watch the main show, did you?

When she said it is not my point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great post. I really wanted to like the show as well. But for me, the whole concept has been confusing.
    However much you dislike the X-factor, the premise of the show is clear. It sets out to find marketable pop artists (in the loosest sense of the word)..and make loads of money for Cowell.
    What was the intended purpose of "The Voice" ? To find great singers, more suited to musical theatre, or even opera ? In that case why have a panel of coaches/judges who are all connected to the pop world ?
    The USP appeared to be the revolving chairs, but has that made much difference ? I guess this was meant to allow a few "ugly ducklings" who might have been rejected on appearance by the rival shows to succeed on the The Voice.. But I'm not sure this has been a success, the public are not going to close their eyes and vote on voice alone. Appearance and personality will always be important, it's one of those unfair facts of life..particularly in show business.
    Add to that the production values, it's just not been the "big saturday night show" that was promised. I can't quite put my finger on the reason why, but it has been dull and kind of lacklustre from the start.
    There was none of the sheer glitz and sparkle of SCD, which the Beeb does so superbly. Different type of show I know, but the same time slot and audience demographic.

A bit of marketing speak here. The problem with The Voice is that it set out to be different, to be cool. It had a whole long list of things it wasn't going to be, most of them beginning and ending with not having any characteristics of Simon Cowell shows. Any marketeer will tell you that a negative positioning never works for any product - you have to know exactly what your product is and to be able to list its specifics and product benefits, in this case why people should watch this show. And taking a positioning that there is already a successful operator in the market and stating that you don't want to be anything like them, is something only the BBC could have dreamt up. Successful brands have strong positive images and mosly don't even mention their rivals.
  • BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you spent £22 million on a proven format and it didn't attract or keep viewers, are you not entitled to a refund?

To admit that changes must be made before the final of the first series has even taken place is shameful. I see that the final of The Apprentice airs on Sunday - what are the odds of it attracting the same number of viewers, or even more?

The final proof of the success/failure of The Voice will come when the winners song is released. Will it chart high after the weeks of publicity, or barely scrape the top 10? And what of the tour - £35 a ticket. I can see half empty venues and some shows being cancelled altogether.

The Voice started well with the viewers and the media singing its praises. Now, with viewing figures halved, the press are reflecting the lack of viewer interest. I hope any second series is a long way off.....