Options

Does your cat like to be held?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He`ll tolerate it for a couple of minutes, and maybe a bit more if he can see the TV - but if he has other things to do...then he`s off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Absolutely not! If I even dare try Frodo the oldest bites me and yowls till I let him go. Arwyn will tolerate it but only for so long (about 5 seconds) then he'll wriggle until free. :D

Shadow my newest addition is the sweetest, cuddliest cat and he's the only one who lets me lift him, he just snuggles up and goes to sleep.

Read this and giggled a bit as I am due to collect my new addition this evening and having met him last week I took to calling him Shadow in my head (and the seller is too).

I am hoping that he is going to be a cuddle kit (apparently according to the seller he is cuddly and likes to be picked up - so fingers crossed).

From past experience I know that all cats are very different. I had two from a litter that my mum's oldest cat (now 19 and still going strong) had 16 years ago, they were brought up exactly the same, given exactly the same attention from birth (I visited them twice a week every week and there were always people around until I took them home) but one settled as a "touch me and I'll scratch" while the other couldn't get enough of you paying attention to him...cats are like humans in some ways I guess...they have their own identity, likes and dislikes! Some don't want to be fussed over and others want to be the centre of your world forever.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grandparents' cat is evil. If you give her a fuss, she lulls you into a false sense of security by appearing to lap up the attention, before turning like a ninja to give you a full on whack with very sharp claws. Last time she had my arm dripping with blood for ages, we almost had to take a trip to the hospital.

I don't go near her anymore, at least not with bare skin on show!
  • Options
    pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are my two lads, they both love a cuddle but only from me, they occasionally let my husband or my Mum have a cuddle too. Mr P the tabby particularly loves to put his head on my shoulder and give a big sigh. He's well up for a tummy rub from anyone though.

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m606/pixieboots1/Cats/

Betty will tolerate being held if she's hungry, she's more of a headbutter. Wild Kitty would flay the skin off your face if you tried to pick her up :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat Schrody disliked being cuddled or fussed over. She put up with being stroked for maybe 5 minutes before she got bored of it. She only sat on my knee twice in her lifetime! Once because I had a blanket on me and she didn't realise, when she did she lept of in a huff! The second time was when she was poorly and she suddenly wanted to sit on my knee, I think she coped with about 10 minutes before jumping down.
  • Options
    DARCYFDARCYF Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuchi, our burmese, would actually love it if I stuck him in a baby sling and carried him on me all day. Ching, the tonkinese, will bear being picked up for about 2 minutes before he squiggles and wants down whilst Chai, the siamese, goes into freak mode if you even take a step in his direction, let alone pick him up:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    We've got a kitten at the minute who's a bit hyperactive to stay still in anyone's arms. She likes to run around and explore, although she'll come for a cuddle when she wants to sleep.
  • Options
    Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our cat loves it, she meows at you sometimes just to pick her up. She won't go near your lap though, she'll rather sleep on a completely seperate chair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    Mine tolerate it and will be quiet until I put them down but they're not really cuddly, more into nuzzling hands and burbling at me :) As I tell them every day though, cuddles are absolutely 100% non- negotiable :D x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep my cats are so different when it comes to this. If you pick my oldest up he'll happily sit there in your arms. My youngest however hates being held and will wiggle and fight until you put him down.
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both my cats don't mind being held and they like being stroked on their cheeks and brushed and groomed. Cats can be sensitive probably why some don't like being held but I find they come to you first to show their affection and one of mine always pats my leg with her paw - an indication that they love you.:)
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he's in the mood, yes, otherwise its 'leave me alone or else'...lol

It also depends how I hold him, if I pick him up with my hand underneath his tummy, he goes all floppy limp and purry. :).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Our tabby, who we've had since she was a kitten, will most of the time be picked up for and a purr few minutes before she wriggles. But if you catch her in the wrong mood she doesn't like it! However the ginger we've had for nearly a year, and was a rescue cat with no history, will be held for ages. Your arms are more likely to start aching first! She doesn't like laps though, as soon as your sit down with her that's it she's off thanks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I've had a tabby and a persian mixed with a moggie. Both were lovely cats and loved to be stroked frequently, however, we could never, ever pick either of them up. They hated it, so we gave up pretty quickly and only stroked them and brushed thier fur. Ragdolls have nice temperaments as I understand it..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have two cats, Bill and Ben (I didn't name them! :p) and neither of them like being picked up, but they react in different ways if you do pick them up:

Ben is very calm and tolerant if we pick him up. He doesn't like it particularly (but he's not violent), he stays totally still although seems pretty tense, and he has a vacant look in his eyes staring across the room. He never makes eye contact...

Bill is generally different every time he's picked up. I guess it depends on his mood - if he's annoyed he won't hesitate to swipe his claws/hiss/send some other kind of warning he isn't happy. If he's not annoyed he'll tolerate being picked up and won't do anything and occasionally if he's in a good mood he'll come and sit on your lap :p:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our cat absolutely loved to be picked up and cuddled and stroked. If I held him in my arms, he would relax and go all floppy and collapse against my shoulder and rest his head agains my shoulder. He was a total **** for cuddles.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both of ours shout and scream to be picked up, one just hangs there and goes to sleep when picked up, the other headbutts me in the nose and tries the eat my shirt.
  • Options
    janismjanism Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    My grandparents' cat is evil. If you give her a fuss, she lulls you into a false sense of security by appearing to lap up the attention, before turning like a ninja to give you a full on whack with very sharp claws. Last time she had my arm dripping with blood for ages, we almost had to take a trip to the hospital.

I don't go near her anymore, at least not with bare skin on show!

That sounds like Boots - never done it to me or my parents, has to be put in another room when we have visitors. He is sat next to me looking like butter would not melt.
    Socks is much more laid back and chilled.
    They both like cuddles and are very affectionate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murphy, is 8 and truth be known he's to bloody heavy to be picked up and cuddled he's effectionate but he dosen't really like being cuddled he'll let you do it for a minute or two but not any more.

Milley, on the other hand dosen't mind most of the time she'll let you cuddle her and for quite a good few minutes but if you try and pick her up when she dosen't want a cuddle she'll kick out with her back leg making it almost impossible to get a firm hold of her.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents have two cats, one of whom is tiny, light and energetic. She hates being picked up and only really bothers coming in the house to eat and to sleep at night.

The other is about twice the size, very 'sturdy' and lazy. He likes nothing more than being held like a baby (on his back against my chest). He'd stay there for hours if I let him :D