young smokers in soaps

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
Forum Member
how come no young person smokes in soap maybe they should have abi start smoking in eastenders for instance

Comments

• Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I suppose it would be more realistic but if they do I want to see her become addicted and then realise she made a mistake starting smoking.

I know someone with health problems due to smoking so it's not something that should be particularly encouraged.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Jay in EE smoke? I remember Tanya once caught him and Lauren smoking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    I suppose it would be more realistic but if they do I want to see her become addicted and then realise she made a mistake starting smoking.

I know someone with health problems due to smoking so it's not something that should be particularly encouraged.

That's right, it shouldn't be encouraged. Unfortunately there are people who smoke because they think it's "cool" - one of my colleagues, aged 25, started smoking a year ago because of peer pressure. I don't want to see Abi smoking either.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I hope your colleague manages to quit.

I know someone with breathing problems and an abdominal aortic aneurysm as a result of smoking. It's not pleasant.
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be more realistic if quite a few of the actors, whatever age smoked. But it's not really needed for s/l's so guess that part of the realism is left out. In Hollyokas for example, no ones smokes which is really very unlikely considering it deals a lot with teens and uni kids. I think they wouldn't want to be seen as encouraging young people to smoke, although if young people were going to do this, it most probably wouldn't be a soap that makes them do it.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    That's right, it shouldn't be encouraged. Unfortunately there are people who smoke because they think it's "cool" - one of my colleagues, aged 25, started smoking a year ago because of peer pressure. I don't want to see Abi smoking either.

Peer pressure is when your 13 not 25 lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    It would be more realistic if quite a few of the actors, whatever age smoked. But it's not really needed for s/l's so guess that part of the realism is left out. In Hollyokas for example, no ones smokes which is really very unlikely considering it deals a lot with teens and uni kids. I think they wouldn't want to be seen as encouraging young people to smoke, although if young people were going to do this, it most probably wouldn't be a soap that makes them do it.

Bart smokes weed
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    Peer pressure is when your 13 not 25 lol

Peer pressure is for all ages. It is the pressure you might feel to behave a certain way in order to fit in. That cold be by starting to smoke at some point, but it could also be the feeling that you really need a nicer car, because yours is old and your neighbour drives a Ferrari.

It can also be that your co workers are not very ambitious, so you applying for that promotion would cause them to see yyou as an "overachiever", not one of them. This is allright if you do get that promotion, but not so nice if somebody else does and you are stuck with that bunch.

I know people who are late twenties/early thirties and had kids early on. They go out partying with their friends a lot, because they fear being cut of from their social group, in which their position is different as it is, as they are the only ones who have settled down already.

Sorry about the long reaction, I just had to write a paper on the bloody subject and have now learned that gossip is also a form of peer pressure.

Not all of us fear being talked about in a negative way, but most, but most do, some worse than others. So certain behaviour could cause gossip, therefor we choose not to do it. For example the way we dress, but also how we portray our family unit to the world, like keeping your voice down in an argument, for fear the Dot Cotton next door will hear and talk to the Pauline Fowler from across the street about how you must be getting a divorce soon.

It goes on untill you are in the retirement home, believe it or not, only some of us are more sensitive to it than others, but we are usually more sensitive to gossip and not being accepted than we like to believe. Fact is, we are usually at our worst during teenage years, after that it is supposed to lessen, as we have established who we are and have chosen our friends accordingly, but you can't choose everyone you encounter on a daily basis in life, so we will always feel a little pressure, and be like "what will the neighbours say!".
  • Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its funny how negative people are about smoking, especially on TV. Drinking also comes with just as many if not more health problems as well as addictions which can lead to the breaking up of familes with alcoholics yet it seems to be glorified on TV programmes and especially soaps.

Yet if someone lights up a cigarette there is uproar!
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    damo1988 wrote: »
    how come no young person smokes in soap maybe they should have abi start smoking in eastenders for instance

well with her family history im surprised she hasnt already-
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Whitney and Lucy do in real life.