Bill Roache: Sex abuse is payback

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bill Roache has caused outrage by appearing to defend stars who sleep with underage girls – and claiming sex abuse victims are paying the price for their behaviour in “previous lives”.

In an astonishing TV interview, the Coronation Street star said it was easy for famous men to be “trapped” by adoring young groupies who throw themselves at them.

And he said of the victims: “If you accept that you are pure love, and if you know that you are pure love and therefore live that pure love, these things won’t happen to you.”

The remark prompted interviewer Garth Bray to ask: “To some people that sounds perhaps like you’re saying victims bring things on themselves – is that what you’re saying?”

Roache replied: “Not quite, but then yes I am, because everything that happens to us has been a result of what we have been in previous lives.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronation-street-ken-barlow-actor-1772476

Video of the interview here:

http://tvnz.co.nz/sunday-news/take-wander-down-street-video-5371165

Be interesting to see how this plays out. People seem to hang on Helen Flanagan's every word to try and create "outrage", but, IMO, this is far worse.

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a twerp! Previous lives? No such thing - in my opinion.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling, based on who he is and his reputation in this country, that we'll get a withering 'apology' saying he was mis-quoted or that it was taken out of context and it'll be brushed under the carpet.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this man part of a religious cult so therefore his brain is warped
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    Isn't this man part of a religious cult so therefore his brain is warped

He was a druid at one time and he's now part of some 'Pure Love' thing, but his son's not right and hasn't been for years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2248511/Law--Order-SVU-star-Linus-Roache-helping-run-troubling-cult.html
  • FuzzyDunlop82FuzzyDunlop82 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Didn't Glenn Hoddle say something similar about disabled people back in the day...?!

Utter madness.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The man is idiot - everytime he talks its about sex.

He is coming across as very creepy

I didnt know he belonged to some sect - says it all really.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that he hasn't given up sex because of this pure love thing at all but because who really wants to sleep with an 81 year old man other than old ladies?

Just seen that he thinks pure love can cure cancer and he can cure serious illness, very dangerous stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what would have happened if the interviewer had said 'So, Bill, your second wife died quite young didn't she? Do you believe she might have done something in a previous life to warrant an early death? And the same for your daughter who died as a baby.'

I bet the silly old fool would have been livid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he would have the same views if one of his female relatives were raped?
    Would he just say to them "oh well, you are paying the price for your behaviour in a previous live"
    The man is a muppet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you'll actually get some journos now effectively 'plotting' to ask Flanagan for her thoughts on what he's said in case they can trip her up over it ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you'll actually get some journos now effectively 'plotting' to ask Flanagan for her thoughts on what he's said in case they can trip her up over it ..

Dimwit hasn't got the brains to think about past lives, she has enough difficulty getting along without tripping herself up in this one. :D
  • AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what would have happened if the interviewer had said 'So, Bill, your second wife died quite young didn't she? Do you believe she might have done something in a previous life to warrant an early death? And the same for your daughter who died as a baby.'

I bet the silly old fool would have been livid.
    He was on This Morning last week and said he didn't grieve for his wife as this life is just temporary or something, so she's in another place and happy. Sounded crazy!
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acornati wrote: »
    He was on This Morning last week and said he didn't grieve for his wife as this life is just temporary or something, so she's in another place and happy. Sounded crazy!
    In the Piers Morgan interview a couple of years ago, Bill claimed his dead wife is acting as a nanny to dead babies in the afterlife. A "psychic" told him so, apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Piers Morgan interview a couple of years ago, Bill claimed his dead wife is acting as a nanny to dead babies in the afterlife. A "psychic" told him so, apparently.

And.....
    He has previously claimed his daughter Edwina, who died aged 18 months in 1984, is now a nurse in the afterlife.

He said last September: “She is helping other children who have passed over to understand what has happened.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronation-street-ken-barlow-actor-1772476

Honestly. :rolleyes:
  • fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revolting creature. He's been getting more and more outlandish, but this is disgusting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimwit hasn't got the brains to think about past lives, she has enough difficulty getting along without tripping herself up in this one. :D

Oh no, I think they'll ask her about Roache himself in the hope that she'll say something they can get outraged about.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see someone getting a lot of comfort from thinking that. I can't see much wrong with developing a strange belief system to help deal with the loss of a baby, because its got to be pretty hard to get up in the morning after that.

But the rest is kinda nasty batshit crazy. Glen Hoddle lost his job for this kind of talk.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. Doesn't seem so long ago he was shy, retiring Mr Dependable Ken Barlow who kept his private life to himself.

He says about not 'judging' people and yet that is precisely what he is doing by saying some individuals are 'paying' for 'sins' in a previous life.

I think he needs to keep his personal beliefs behind closed doors. This kind of thing does not appeal to everyone. I don't think the world is ready for another David Icke.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill Roache should stick to acting (and badly at that), rather than speaking out, as every time he opens his mouth he comes out with the most ludicrous, outlandish claims. This latest one just shows what an out of touch cretin he is.
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrid man. But he sounds quite cuckoo to me.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterface wrote: »
    Bill Roache should stick to acting (and badly at that), rather than speaking out, as every time he opens his mouth he comes out with the most ludicrous, outlandish claims. This latest one just shows what an out of touch cretin he is.
    I've nothing against him but isn't this typical of all actors when they start to express their views and opinions in the media? They only thing they seem to achieve is showing themselves up as idiots.
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like his suits, wonder if he buys them on Savile row.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    premixxed wrote: »
    I like his suits, wonder if he buys them on Savile row.

So did you just think of that "gem" or had you been waiting for a while to deliver it ?
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So did you just think of that "gem" or had you been waiting for a while to deliver it ?

Just thought of it.

28,000 posts and you still put a space after a question mark!

I''m out !
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    cuckoo, cuckoo.