Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Bodmin, I was hoping that he said I don't dance as that leaves open many possibilities, but he did say "I can't dance." I checked . It was in the episode where they had the Portwenn dance and Stewart the ranger flipped out and destroyed the bird feeder..,you know the one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I'm also a bit of a Jazz buff, so my two cents are also a bit older.
    In series 4 I thought for Martin "I'll Be Around" would have been quite suitable.
    For both of them, maybe "I'm a Fool to Want You."

If you are referring to "Ill Be Around" by The Spinners that isn't jazz, it's Motown R&B. Motown shouldn't be confused with Gamble and Huff's "Philly Sound" which were the two prevalent R&B sounds of the mid to late 1970's. "If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes is a good example of "The Sound of Philadelphia"

You want jazz? Here ya go..John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman performing the classic "My One and Only Love". Johnny starts singing about 2:10 into video.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    And Bodmin, I was hoping that he said I don't dance as that leaves open many possibilities, but he did say "I can't dance." I checked . It was in the episode where they had the Portwenn dance and Stewart the ranger flipped out and destroyed the bird feeder..,you know the one.

Well, everyone 'can' dance it's more a matter of doing it well.:p His 'dancing' with the baby in series 5 was comical and hopefully not his best effort.:D Maybe he can't dance in the style that would have been expected of him at the Portwenn function. A slow dance, as someone mentioned previously, is a different thing.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was lying. He also said that doctors weren't allowed to attend social events, so he was just trying to get out of it - and maybe a little attempt at humour?
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just looking for something in the Christmas Special from after S2 and discovered the location of the cliff where Martin rappels down to save the baker.

It is right next to "The Rumps"!

Rob - how cool is that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    End of one - beginning of the next

We have talked quite a bit about how long after the castle series 6 will start and given the age of the babies it seems it will be soon. Just some notes from earlier seasons:

Season 2 starts out obviously very soon after the kiss in the taxi as Louisa is at the chemist getting mouthwash and she and Doc have words about the event. I had not noted this before but S2 is rerunning here locally and it struck me

Season 5 starts the day of the birth -

Will have to rewatch E1 of both S3 and 4 - anyone? Is there action at the end of 2 that flows to opening of 3 and then 3 to 4? I just can't recall off the top of my head
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    If you are referring to "Ill Be Around" by The Spinners that isn't jazz, it's Motown R&B. Motown shouldn't be confused with Gamble and Huff's "Philly Sound" which were the two prevalent R&B sounds of the mid to late 1970's. "If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes is a good example of "The Sound of Philadelphia"

You want jazz? Here ya go..John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman performing the classic "My One and Only Love". Johnny starts singing about 2:10 into video.

Definetely not the "I'll Be Around" that I meant. I was thinking of Frank Sinatra and his album "In The Wee Small Hours". Here's a link inclusively the text:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBgpVLgvi1g
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I was just looking for something in the Christmas Special from after S2 and discovered the location of the cliff where Martin rappels down to save the baker.

It is right next to "The Rumps"!

Rob - how cool is that?

You just had to start at the 'bum!' :)

Rob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    He seems to get a lot of scrapes and scratches on his hands working on his farm. There were pics with a band aid for this series. I also saw images from an earlier series where he had something wrapped on his hand between filming. He obviously had hurt it then too. Maybe if his hands aren't 'perfect' they want a double.
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    ...But I love THOSE hands...:cry:
    No, his hands weren't doing anything but hanging at his body's side as usual. A hand double...there's a concept...maybe for a medical procedure or something because when he's starting a line or evacuating Danny's pneumothorax his hands look incredibly steady...it does take a while to get used to doing those things. I bet his hands are huge...not long and slender but solid like the rest of him.

Yes, as Carrie Wilson stated in Series 3, "Ohhh, big hands." You know they had to have cracked up filming that scene! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Definetely not the "I'll Be Around" that I meant. I was thinking of Frank Sinatra and his album "In The Wee Small Hours". Here's a link inclusively the text:

Oh! OK! Nevermind....

I had the Spinners song on my mind because I was listening to my R&B playlist driving home from work this morning and "I'll Be Around" by The Spinners popped up in the shuffle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Yes, as Carrie Wilson stated in Series 3, "Ohhh, big hands." You know they had to have cracked up filming that scene! :D

It's funny that the host mentions the size of his hands in this interview.;)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=itQw1K8yuRM&feature=relmfu
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been subscribing to Hulu/Hulu Plus, but am wondering if I should switch to Netflicks. Any opinions? Is DM on both? What about other content?

While Hulu.com has all 5 series, it doesn't have the Christmas special, I realize. Don't know Netflix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    End of one - beginning of the next

We have talked quite a bit about how long after the castle series 6 will start and given the age of the babies it seems it will be soon. Just some notes from earlier seasons:

Season 2 starts out obviously very soon after the kiss in the taxi as Louisa is at the chemist getting mouthwash and she and Doc have words about the event. I had not noted this before but S2 is rerunning here locally and it struck me

Season 5 starts the day of the birth -

Will have to rewatch E1 of both S3 and 4 - anyone? Is there action at the end of 2 that flows to opening of 3 and then 3 to 4? I just can't recall off the top of my head

S3 starts with LG reading the fairy tale about the prince and princess and fainting. S4 starts with LG 6 months pregnant having come back from London after the non-wedding at end of S3.
  • Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    S3 starts with LG reading the fairy tale about the prince and princess and fainting. S4 starts with LG 6 months pregnant having come back from London after the non-wedding at end of S3.

Well, "On the Edge" starts shortly after S2, since LG is still angry at DM for the "erotomania" comment when he catches her at the fish stall.

S3 must be a couple months after, because at the end of "OTE", Al comments that maybe he should try traveling a little and we are lead to believe that he was in Uganda for about 3 months when he comes home. in E4. So maybe 1 month after OTE? (enough time for Pauline to go on her phlebotomy course and then develop a gambling addiction. And for Penhale to have overcome his agoraphobia and yet not know who Al was when he came back in town).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    A very interesting discussion about the wedding song. Perhaps my view is softening somewhat, especially in light of cc. cookie's comment about actors. I think somewhere MC said that playing the groom in a wedding scene and the bride coming down the aisle actually brought tears to his eyes, b/c he and Phillippa had a blessing, not an actual wedding, since he was divorced and they married in C of E. And also the drunken rendering of the song in MBB. (I am not responding directly to either of these b/c the quote machine has gotten off-track, due to an omitted parentheses somewhere, and it will go on ad infinitum until someone breaks the chain,

I do think though that dropping the name of your location scout (Bamford) or your daughter is different than using a song that presumably means a lot to you and your wife into a bit of play-acting. Perhaps as an actor or a writer, it's all grist for the mill And perhaps I am a little conservative on some things (my husband has a less flattering term for it).

Howsomever, I was glad to hear that both he and Louisa are sporting "shiny new gold wedding bands." The idea of using hs own wedding band, especially in the ceremony, seems creepy to me. l

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Telly%3a+Clunes+is+really+a+big+softie.-a0113992259
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Not to spoil your enjoyment of a rewatch :rolleyes:, but while waiting for an appointment this afternoon I checked out the bird on the window in S5:

E1 - running through the kitchen after Dr Dibbs - bird there facing left

E3 - Morwenna in kitchen early in morning - bird there facing left

E3 - Morwenna washing pots & pans - bird there facing left

E4 - Martin walks in with JH after trying to get him asleep in the car - bird there facing left

E4 - Martin changing JH and realizes he is out of nappy cream - bird there facing left

E4 - Eleanor takes JH from Louisa to take him upstairs and then Martin & Louisa eat corn for dinner - bird there facing left

E4 - Eleanor cooking at stove when Martin walks in - bird there facing left

E4 - Martin discovers what Eleanor has been putting in JH's bottle - bird there facing left

E5 - Louisa is cleaning up broken Venetian glass - bird there facing left

E5 - Louisa working on her time tabling while Eleanor holds JH - bird there facing left

E5 - Louisa tells Martin there is nothing to eat for dinner - bird there facing left

E6 - AR shows up while Martin & Louisa are discussing her weight - bird there facing RIGHT

E6 - Martin & Louisa are arguing about Eleanor not being there to get JH in the morning - bird there facing RIGHT

E7 - Louisa arrives in the morning to show Martin the details of the christening - NO BIRD!

E7 - Louisa arrives to thank Martin for saving her mother - bird there facing left

E8 - Louisa arrives to ask Martin to watch JH the next day - NO BIRD

These are all of the scenes where we can see that window. Things change just before Louisa moves out, but I can't quite figure out why the bird changes direction, disappears and reappears. I'll bet the bird is gone for S6 because I seems like it must belong to Dr Dibbs.

Ooh, thanks, Shop Girl. A handy dandy bird list. Good info. Thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    ]
    My prediction: he will continue to wear his own wedding ring on his right hand, and the "shiny new gold band" on his left hand. I just can't imagine having Louisa Glasson/Caroline Catz put on his finger his own wedding band during the pretend ceremony -- I can agree on the song, after discussion but that strikes me as just beyond the pale (Again, I know I am getting relatively conservative in some ways in my old age.)
    And, if they use a new band for the ceremony, seems to me it would have to continue that way

Except that in the photos of S6 filming that we've seen so far, he's got a ring on his left hand and nothing on his right. Not sure about the description "shiny new", but there's a ring on the left, none on the right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, everyone 'can' dance it's more a matter of doing it well.:p His 'dancing' with the baby in series 5 was comical and hopefully not his best effort.:D Maybe he can't dance in the style that would have been expected of him at the Portwenn function. A slow dance, as someone mentioned previously, is a different thing.

Maybe in the short amount of time (I'm assuming) between the castle and the wedding, Louisa teaches him to dance. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I loved the two other articles that were in the related stories box about Julie Graham giving birth and how it coincided with William and Mary. Thanks, Connie.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Except that in the photos of S6 filming that we've seen so far, he's got a ring on his left hand and nothing on his right. Not sure about the description "shiny new", but there's a ring on the left, none on the right.

And his own ring is platinum (silver colour) not gold so... Still confused.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I'm also a bit of a Jazz buff, so my two cents are also a bit older.
    In series 4 I thought for Martin "I'll Be Around" would have been quite suitable.
    For both of them, maybe "I'm a Fool to Want You."

My original idea was what: what do you think their song might be. It would have had to come into their lives in Series 3 Episode 6, when they were having some special time together that we are not privy to.

That said, it's fine that there are so many songs floating around now--some for them and others for Martin. I've yet to see one just for Louisa though. BodminDM--I guess for the I'll Be Around would refer to when Louisa seemed attracted to PC Mylow and Danny? I'd think I'm a Fool to Want You would apply more to Martin than Louisa, although the lines: To seek a kiss not mine alone/ To share a kiss the Devil has known/ don't make a lot of sense with our couple, but I'm just nitpicking. They are both beautiful, soulful songs.

On to My One and Only Love. This one is especially meaningful to me and the only reason I didn't add it to my original list was because it is a love song from a man to a woman. However, it could be a their song--why not if they both hear it at some intimate moment? The version by John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman is achingly exquisite. I'd definitely recommend it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe in the short amount of time (I'm assuming) between the castle and the wedding, Louisa teaches him to dance. ;)

This is PortWenn the parallel universe remember

The Doc might even have opened his own dancing school by now...

:D
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, that does sound pretty definitive, I admit. Still, it'll be fun to actually see what happens. I think it's possible that spoilers actually whet one's appetite, not diminish it!
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Colin Towns wrote the theme music for DM, (and brilliantly inserting just the right mood music for the entire series), you don't suppose he could have composed something for DM and LG to dance to at the reception.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone...I have been lurking around the Doc Martin forum and haven't posted in a while. However, I enjoy reading the posts and appreciate the updates on the upcoming series. I am getting geared up for Series 6 and I have need of some technical advice. A couple of years ago I installed Expat Shield on my desktop expressly to watch Doc Martin Series 5...it worked beautifully. I was able to watch and re-watch the episodes on ITV player. Then my computer crashed and when it got back from the shop expat was gone. So-o-o I re-installed it last week. I can watch ITV live but I can't access the ITV player. The problem with watching it live is it gets in a loop and sits there and whirs...going nowhere. I did register on the ITV website and it hasn't been thrown back despite my American web address. Does anyone have any insight on how to access the catch-up feature on ITV? Any help will be graciously appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.