Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    Mandem dunno who to pree.

Well quite :D:D
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    30 :p

If you go to facebook and look up Marlon Swoosh Wallen you'll see he is a dancer in the Flawless dance troupe - a very different Marlon.

Pauline saw this and jumped to conclusions ....very out of character I know:D
  • clandestinyclandestiny Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of course he will, he always has his hands down the front of his pants , holding on to his dignity :o

He's not got a lot of it then
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is my memory faulty or does the OP start quite a lot of "race" threads?

The reaction to the pressing the button reflects the status in the house, not just the Helen group, the whole house.
    Some could have got away with it, some couldn't.

Is the status linked to race?
    Well no.
    Unless people consider Toya and Pauline to hold the same views.

If anything it was Pauline and Toya who established where Marlon stood in the pecking order. Toya in particular.

Now there maybe a cultural issue, but Toya was the one who pushed that more than anyone.
    I really don't think anybody from mainstream cultural norms would ever have denigrated somebody for working in optics or as an optician.

It's a far more respectable job than working as a wannabe tv presenter surely? So where was she coming from?

That's the biggest divide I have seen.
  • Desy BoyDesy Boy Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the OP

So why do black people feel this way among 'white' people? Basically that is them acting in a way based on race and so is racist it self?

So why do you feel that one human being can't feel at home with other human beings (used lightly with this lot) unless they are the same race as him or her?

Or put simply it seems like just more racism where if white people segregate themselves from black people that is totally unacceptable, but it's just fine when other races do it.

Personally I'm getting a bit fed up of it always being the white person's fault when other races are separating themselves and then screaming about racism.

I actually think that it's similar with lots of people who feel on the cusp of a majority group. They can become overly conscious and overthink things in terms of what they think people in the majority group expect or accept of them. Part of Marlon's reasoning was that he thought that's what his friends would have wanted. As if was doing it based on what he thought they would expect of him. He seemed so confused and bewildered in his thought process, totally in contrast to the "it's for me and ma missus" reasoning of Conor a couple of years back. It just felt like he didn't even really think about what HE wanted just what he thought his friends would have expected him to do.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roseblue1 wrote: »
    It seems that because he is black you have to make excuses for him.........get real.

Oh dear........:confused:
  • B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    If you go to facebook and look up Marlon Swoosh Wallen you'll see he is a dancer in the Flawless dance troupe - a very different Marlon.

Pauline saw this and jumped to conclusions ....very out of character I know:D

Lol! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is my memory faulty or does the OP start quite a lot of "race" threads?

The reaction to the pressing the button reflects the status in the house, not just the Helen group, the whole house.
    Some could have got away with it, some couldn't.

Is the status linked to race?
    Well no.
    Unless people consider Toya and Pauline to hold the same views.

If anything it was Pauline and Toya who established where Marlon stood in the pecking order. Toya in particular.

Now there maybe a cultural issue, but Toya was the one who pushed that more than anyone.
    I really don't think anybody from mainstream cultural norms would ever have denigrated somebody for working in optics or as an optician.

It's a far more respectable job than working as a wannabe tv presenter surely? So where was she coming from?

That's the biggest divide I have seen.

I'm sure I said that the genesis of any outsider feeling no matter what you attach that to (race, gender, sexuality etc) stems from an innate lack of confidence in themselves. I.e. the less confident you are the more likely you are to feel or identify with a difference and get lost in your head as to your position within a majority group.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    Don't be scared to mention race as it's not forbidden especially as your not being racist or calling others racist. If we allow certain topics to become taboo it makes problems rather than solves them.:)

Well said Zelda.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh a decent thread :)

Desy...if you're around, I'd like to know why you think Marlon decided to introduce himself as a 23 years old, not the 30 year old he apparently is? Was that also him trying to fit in? After all, a 23 year old can get away with being 'one of the lads' more than a 30 year old can. I have always thought this was key to understanding Marlon. I do think he's having a bit of an identity crisis.

Not sure if that really is his age but I do think that a lack of self confidence (which is ultimately the seed of this issue) does not necessarily attach itself to age. Yes as you grow older you tend to be more secure in your self but I'm not sure if that's across the board. It happened for me but maybe not so Marlon. It's why Ashleigh impresses me as a character because she has that self assurity at the tender age of 18. I couldn't even imagine that at that age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Another theory on the racial aspects.

The housemates have to go through all manner or personality and psychological tests before being allowed into the house. They knew 100% that Marlon was going to push the button. It's what the producers wanted, because they knew he was going to be voted out, and they didn't want the backlash that would come with the 3 black contestants being voted out first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of course he will, he always has his hands down the front of his pants , holding on to his dignity :o

Thank you. ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone in the house comes from a different background. Look what happened to the posho who couldn't fit in with the skidmarks.
    I think it's a three horse race.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pia12 wrote: »
    What are you basing these assumptions on, have you or people you know experienced such feelings?

Yes. Toya noticed it as well. It's extremely uncomfortable to be a minority in a all white institution especially with people who do not know how to treat black people as human beings. Instead we are expected (by some), to be some sort of caricature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    Mandem dunno who to pree.

Come again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat- wrote: »
    Like you, I have many friends of mixed marriage. Chinese, West African (Moroccan) married to white women. These marriages are of love, but fraught with difficulties from outside sources, if not directly from family, but friends of family etc. In otherwords there's always minefields each has to tread to either ignore or explain.

Morocco isn't in west africa :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HonestLee wrote: »
    Great post OP

Marlon simply hasn't had the chance to assimilate enough with diverse peoples

Once you've been around other colours/cultures enough you realise the racial myths and the smoke and mirrors that are put there by both the media and public apathy to keep division

People really are just people, kids stick to what they know, all grow up in their respective cultural setting but if they never get reason to step outside it they'll always feel secluded separate and remote

BB will do Marlon the world of good, not every BB experience is about the winning, our paths are the only thing where we truly differ
    How did you come to this conclusion? He is a black man, living a white country and lives in London. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roseblue1 wrote: »
    Would we be having this conversation if he was white.

No. Is that a problem? Do you feel left out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an absolutely pathetic thread. Marlon's friends in the house are Winston, Ash and Jale, all of whom, if you listen to their patterns of speech and observe the way they are around Marlon are perfectly comfortable around "black people". As are most people that live in the 21st century. Marlon might be lying about his age but he's not from the 1970s, which is where this dated stereotype of "black people" being somehow so different that they have to "know" how to act around people of a different skin colour comes from.

Also let's not forget the small detail that both Pauline and Toya were already in the house when he entered. And interestingly, both these "black people" also had issues with his failure to interact normally with people. Which suggests he doesn't know how to act around any people regardless of skin colour.

Then there's the fact that so far on BOTS one of Winston's friends and family bought in as a guest has been a black guy while all of Marlon's friends have been white females, so maybe he's not as uncomfortable as you think.

Finally, is a forum, dedicated to a shallow tv show, the right place to be airing a peculiar over-sensitivity to skin colour anyway?

I'm sorry but that is a lie. Please do not spread misinformation. There is a differene between being tolerated and people feeling comfortable around you. I worked for a company in London last year and you would be shocked by how out of toch these young people were. They were very jittery around all four black staff members, asked xenophobic questions. One time they refused to sit next two of my black collegues. Here we were in the lounge area at work and six white staff members did there very best not to sit next to them. So you're talking rubbish.
  • roseblue1roseblue1 Posts: 7,498
    Forum Member
    No. Is that a problem? Do you feel left out?

No..... but you obviously do.......go and get some sort of life.
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can people stop saying hes 30 getting tiring now.
    Forum Member
    gentleguy wrote: »
    can people stop saying hes 30 getting tiring now.

Agreed.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Toya noticed it as well. It's extremely uncomfortable to be a minority in a all white institution especially with people who do not know how to treat black people as human beings. Instead we are expected (by some), to be some sort of caricature.

Toya was the one who didn't treat Marlon like a human being.
    Her remarks about him being an animal I think would have seen her pulled into the diary room had she not been superficially the same ethnicity.

Her later rant denigrating his personality, his job, his life was equally as unpleasant and showed no sign of her treating him like a human being.
    Forum Member
    Toya was the one who didn't treat Marlon like a human being.
    Her remarks about him being an animal I think would have seen her pulled into the diary room had she not been superficially the same ethnicity.

Her later rant denigrating his personality, his job, his life was equally as unpleasant and showed no sign of her treating him like a human being.

True, and Pauline started it all off as soon as she'd seen his VT.