Hyped-up books that you were disappointed with

teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
Forum Member
It's happened to all of us and it can be so irritating!

The one that sticks out for me is "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". I just didn't "get it", thought the plot was a bit bland and that it was rather lazily written (even if it was from the POV of the autistic boy).

What about you?

Comments

• spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very disappointed with The Time Traveller's Wife.
  • teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    spider9 wrote: »

:O Really? You're the first person I've spoken to who didn't like it
    Was there anything particular?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member

So was I. I'd been recommended it by quite a few people and ended up hating it! I don't know how I managed to finish it.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though I still enjoyed it, I was hyped up to believe King's 'Under the Dome' was as good as 'The Stand'. So I was a bit disappointed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, same here.
    So was I. I'd been recommended it by quite a few people and ended up hating it! I don't know how I managed to finish it.

I hated it, I couldnt bare to finish it !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add me to that. Awful. Not as bad, though, as Chris Cleave's The Other Hand. Utterly dire :mad:
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

TBH, I felt it was badly translated, tedious in the extreme, and the Salander girl was a monumental cliche.

A few million others would disagree with me, but , IMO, it was just mno where near the hype.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Sarah Waters - Fingersmith. I just felt that it could have been 200 pages shorter.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.TBH, I felt it was badly translated, tedious in the extreme, and the Salander girl was a monumental cliche.

A few million others would disagree with me, but , IMO, it was just mno where near the hype.

Oops Im just starting The Time Traveller's Wife and then going onto The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo once its available from library :(
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The one that sticks out for me is "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". I just didn't "get it", thought the plot was a bit bland and that it was rather lazily written (even if it was from the POV of the autistic boy).

What about you?

I loved that book!!!!!

For me the Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (this ties in with the books you couldn't finish thread!) and The Memory Keeper's Daughter - which had a great plot in theory but failed to deliver.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    Oops Im just starting The Time Traveller's Wife and then going onto The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo once its available from library :(

Don't despair, the Time Treaveller's Wife seems to be one you either love or hate and I absolutely loved it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    The Da Vinci Code, I thought it was ok but not as good I had been led to believe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually liked Angels and Demons, and the Davinci Code, however I thought the Lost Symbol was tripe.

but the winner for me (I eagerly await the flames) was The Bible
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phillip Pullman's "Northern Lights".

I was excpecting something approaching the level of Tolkien but didn't get it.

Haven't read the 2nd and 3rd parts yet - may do one day.
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TBH, I felt it was badly translated, tedious in the extreme, and the Salander girl was a monumental cliche.

Yes, the translation is very poor and the main female character cliched in the extreme, I quite agree.

Also disliked The Time Traveller's Wife.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twilight. It was at the front of every bookstore and other people my age were going mad about it. I heard it was meant to be "the new Harry Potter" and as I love the Harry Potter series I decieded to read it. After reading it, I have no idea how it became as popular as it is. The relationship between Edward and Bella is strange and unpleasant. He watches her sleep for crying out loud! Complete and utter sh*t.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I found The Lovely Bones to be incredibly dull, and also Life of Pi.

I really liked the Time Traveller's Wife! Well, once I got my head around the anachronism and stopped drinking whilst reading in the evenings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do like these books, but agree the translation is appalling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about you?

When i saw the thread title that book instantly came to mind, as well as the last Harry Potter book
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy was a big let down for me. Just very, very vague.

Also, can't remember the novelist, but The Life of Pi did nothing for me. It won a load of accolades, won Booker, but i didn't care for it.
  • hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    I am reading the girl with the red dragon tattoo at the moment and not loving it.

Hated Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
  • syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Time Traveller's Wife

Interview with the Vampire and Tale of the Body Thief (I did like Pandora, but disliking two out of three books made me conclude that I shouldn't read Anne Rice's material unless I have no other choice. At least her vampire books.)
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Maconie.

Self-satisfied, pedantic, professional northerner piffle that proved too annoying to finish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Phillip Pullman's "Northern Lights".

I was excpecting something approaching the level of Tolkien but didn't get it.

Haven't read the 2nd and 3rd parts yet - may do one day.

The first part is the best of the three.
    Although I'm not a fan of Tolkein either.

To answer the OP, I hated Wuthering Heights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lovely Bones & Duma Key.