What would your musical genre be?

RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Assuming I had genuine talent when it came to music I would probably opt for acoustic guitar stuff, something along the lines of Amy MacDonald or KT Tunstall.

I like a wide range of different styles but out of everything I think this would be the one I'd feel most comfortable with.

So if you could choose what genre would you pick? What kind of music would you like to be known for? Could be ANYTHING :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Well, I'd like to be some sort of hybrid of Freddie Mercury, Lady Gaga circa 'Bad Romance', Christina Aguilera circa 'Fighter' and Muse. Imagine that :cool:

It would be a rocked up version of bombastic electro dance, but without autotuned vocals. I'd want a big, powerful voice so I could totally belt it out and not hide behind the beats and effects.

BUT, I'd also love to be able to play piano and kind of do what Gaga does with stripped down, purely vocal performances.

Oh, I'd also like to be a great dancer too. :D
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably go for electronic music, and I've always liked the idea of making music on a computer rather than playing instruments.

Something like Goldfrapp maybe, from their Black Cherry era, in an ideal world. But I love harder dance-electronic music too
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'd like to be some sort of hybrid of Freddie Mercury, Lady Gaga circa 'Bad Romance', Christina Aguilera circa 'Fighter' and Muse. Imagine that :cool:

It would be a rocked up version of bombastic electro dance, but without autotuned vocals. I'd want a big, powerful voice so I could totally belt it out and not hide behind the beats and effects.

BUT, I'd also love to be able to play piano and kind of do what Gaga does with stripped down, purely vocal performances.

Oh, I'd also like to be a great dancer too. :D

Haha, I'd buy your CDs :D
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am are an Breakcore-ist therefore i can make whatever I want :p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Couldn't name the genre because I don't know what it's called but bands like The Jesus And Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine is what I would go for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justboy wrote: »
    Couldn't name the genre because I don't know what it's called but bands like The Jesus And Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine is what I would go for.

Shoegaze/noise rock? Whatever, awesome bands :)

I'd wanna do something that mixed folk and dream pop (dream-folk?) with a hint of jazz blues in there too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Shoegaze/noise rock? Whatever, awesome bands :)

I'd wanna do something that mixed folk and dream pop (dream-folk?) with a hint of jazz blues in there too.

Yeah noise rock sounds about right :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doubt I could pull it off seeing as i'm not a musician of any sort but it'd be poetic indie rock all the way.

A mixture of influence from Modest Mouse / mewithoutYou / Grizzly Bear.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Balls to the wall heavy metal! Something along the lines of old-school Metallica, with bass heavy production and tonnes of super riffage :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Balls to the wall heavy metal! Something along the lines of old-school Metallica, with bass heavy production and tonnes of super riffage :cool:

lol, and ouch
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Progressive Alternative

With a strong atmospheric / layered element to the music.Influenced by bands like Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Oceansize, Porcupine Tree, The Gathering, A Perfect Circle, Anathema etc.Elements of Trip hop, shoegaze, psychedelic rock, metal, adult alternative, alternative rock / metal, progressive music generally including some electronica etc.Constantly looking to add new elements to the sound from innovative artists.There is quite alot of bands around who take this approach already (some mentioned above).
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Maybe electronic music, think Goldfrapp/Roisin Murphy/Little Boots-type music. Dance/hip-hop music would be good too, something with plenty of good beats (think Timbaland-type stuff). Of course I would try and write my own songs or at least co-write them.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old school anarchistic punk, borrowing the early sounds of Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Adverts with the lyrics style of Against Me, Anti Flag and Assert.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Well, i'm classic rock and, although it's quite embarrassing to admit it, I like writing a bit of folk rock. :D
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Well, i'm classic rock and, although it's quite embarrassing to admit it, I like writing a bit of folk rock. :D

Why embarrassing, nothing wrong with Folk Rock :)
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternative melodic pop/rock like Hole, Garbage, PJ Harvey mixed in with a few piano ballads like Fiona Apple and Tori Amos.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guiter rock along the lines of Neil Young or Tom Petty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electro-pop kind of music a la lady gaga and kylie with a hint of dance

In some alternate reality, i would have sung on swedish house mafia's 'one' instead of pharrell :D
  • Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop, but I'd change it withe every album. Bring in a rock them to one album, and RnB styles album a jazz styled album, a piano influenced one. I can write loads of styles.

Staying in the same genre is BORING, boring, boring, boring.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Prog Rock (Focus, Yes, Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash) closely followed by Classic Rock.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why embarrassing, nothing wrong with Folk Rock :)

absolutely! :)

ive often thought about this, i see myself at my age as a mixture of styles which have influenced me... mod, hippy, rock and punk... however my fav genre atm is trance, so i guess id be a trance producer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Mine would probably be some elctro-pop inspired stuff with weird elements, like a lot of Bjork's stuff.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything, absolutely anything that had women throwing their knickers at me... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »

you shouldn't be - folk rock is sexy
  • musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I am a pop and r&b person. Sucker for a good ballad.

But over the years i have myself into rock, jazz, soul, folk rock, punk etc.