Options

Prolific DS posters claiming benefits

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work between NYC and London so my hours are strange but believe me I work a very long week and always have :)

You should go on the sick. It would be much better for the environment.
    No it wasn't meant as such, it was a genuine question and then I noticed someone responding had exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about on her profile.

Yes. I'm sure that's exactly what happened, dear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell no, I could never live like that. Scraping by financially, the monotony of every day. That would be my personal hell. However, some (not all!) people choose precisely that and it fascinates me why they don't want more from life.

It is a genuine question :)
    Schlepping back and forth across the Atlantic must be awfully monotonous in itself.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    As an intelligent, working woman, I'd say the opposite. Anyone who posted such a thing is dense.
    oh.
    You may feel like you don;t have to explain yourself to me but surely the many tax payers on here who keep a roof over your head and food in your belly while you sit here posting all day deserve some kind of explanation?
    no, i really don`t have to explain myself to you.
    You seem to have made enough comments for the dole office near you to want to look into your situation and find you a job! Those fingers of yours are agile enough and you seem to consider yourself bright :)
    you have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    missy83 wrote: »
    I can't wait til I give up my job and become a stay at home mother so suck on that one.

Snap, I'm leaving work in April :)
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it wasn't meant as such, it was a genuine question and then I noticed someone responding had exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about on her profile.

I just don't get it!

Absolute rubbish.

Your OP makes it clear that you saw that profile before you posted this thread.
  • Options
    terry66532terry66532 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive read jobseekers allowance is 284 a month, is hardly living the life of luxury.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    - People work different hours every day of the week
    - Some people work from home
    - Some people don't work because they don't need to as they live off savings, lottery or competition win, inheritence, pension... anything
    - Some people on here are retired
    - Even when unemployed you can use a computer and the internet for other things other than looking for jobs. The fact is there aren't enough jobs for all the unemployed, hence why unemployment figures are so high.

If someone puts "scounging" or at the dole office in their DS profile on here, I laugh and don't take it seriously as it's most likely a micky take.

This government are creating such a nosey society where everyone must know where people's income is coming from and what it's being spent on,especially if it's coming from the state, it's "how can you afford that?" or but that's not a necessity? Why are you wasting my taxes? Yes, because income tax is the only form of tax in this country.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute rubbish.

Your OP makes it clear that you saw that profile before you posted this thread.

Yup. Busted!
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes when I see that people post a lot on DS but they are on benefits and have been for a long time/intend to be for as long as possible (and offer this information on their public profile or frequently discuss it on here and seem to think it's a permanent way to live) I wonder why they can't use that time to actually work. I mean, if you can post on here then you could do e.g. a data entry job or a million other things.

Does anyone else feel this way? :confused:

I mentioned this on another thread but the minimum wage is £6.18 an hour. The estimated "living wage" i.e. what you need to earn to fund a basic cost of living is between £7 and £8 an hour.

As the vast majority of jobs on offer these days seem to only pay minimum wage its no wonder some people think "**** that".

If I was in that position I would too. Thankfully I'm not.
  • Options
    statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tokenting wrote: »
    ive read jobseekers allowance is 284 a month, is hardly living the life of luxury.

exactly! why would people want that out of choice? What a life! :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missy83 wrote: »
    I can't wait til I give up my job and become a stay at home mother so suck on that one.
    Snap, I'm leaving work in April :)

Got made redundant so am now a stay at home mom. Going out to work is easier! I knew what i was supposed to be doing -this toddler beast is exhausting!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't think many people do!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yup. Busted!

I have seen a few people on here bragging about claiming. Hers was not a name that stood out but now that she responded of course I want to ask questions.

Claiming and bragging about it is nuts IMHO :eek:
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well it's their choice, not yours. Why don't you mind your own business?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zombie wrote: »
    Got made redundant so am now a stay at home mom. Going out to work is easier! I knew what i was supposed to be doing -this toddler beast is exhausting!
    I've always worked. Got a 5 yr old but it's not cost effective for me to return after number 2 with childcare costs as we're not entitled to any tax credits.

I did shifts when my son was a baby and used to get 4 days off, work was a break :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have seen a few people on here bragging about claiming. Hers was not a name that stood out but now that she responded of course I want to ask questions.

I've never seen anyone brag on here :confused: Unless they're bragging about a car
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know!! :D

But I am talking about people who don't work through choice and claim benefits and just sit at their computer day after day posting on here.

It's not very healthy and also not fair on this who keep them financially
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

feel free to go through my posting history and point out where i have bragged about claiming benefits.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm just after my free hand outs!

Anyone need any a free prescription? (has to be for something I can fake though)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's their choice, not yours. Why don't you mind your own business?

If they expect others to keep them then it is everyone;s business, surely? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen anyone brag on here :confused: Unless they're bragging about a car
    Or their commute to NY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If they expect others to keep them then it is everyone;s business, surely? :)

No it's not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the reasons I wondered is because I heard that such forums are going to be trawled through in the not too distant future in order to identify fit for work benefits claimants.

It was NOT intended to cause a controversy, it was merely a question :)
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    Not all prolific posters are on benefits, some of them post all day long from work!

That's the benefit of working hard at school, a cushy job where you don't have to do much yourself. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    That's the benefit of working hard at school, a cushy job where you don't have to do much yourself. :D

:D

well working your way up is brilliant and that's why I don;t get why some people don;t want to do anything with their lives (apart from DS!) :eek:
This discussion has been closed.