I was born:D
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    me to but still
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The general standard of written English was better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The music scene was vibrant.
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miami Vice. Big shoulder pads were good too.

Also I was young and thin........
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was great music in the 80s.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my first child :)
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackadder.
  • harjamharjam Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Playing Marbles on drain covers....ahhhh the memories :)
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    Was there any?
    Thatcher
    Bad fashion
    Unemployment
    Challenger diaster
    Lockerbie
    Hillsborough
    Kings cross fire
    Falklands
    All bad..

You may be surprised to find out that the highest level of employment in post war history was in 1987. It was 75%

It has never reached that level since.

That is not a statistic that is easy to find - most figures tend to talk about the level of unemployment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dallas
    Dynasty
    Falcon Crest
    Brookside

:D
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    The music scene was incredible, second only to the swinging 60s. On both occasions Britain ruled the (air) waves, and at one time, the US charts.

After the necessary flamethrower of punk had burnt glam rock to the ground new wave music was born, at the same time that new electronic instruments such as the sequencer and sampler, and later multitrack digital recording techniques became available, and all this happening with the exciting introduction of CD.

It was also the coming of age for the 12" single, where tracks were produced as 12 inch mixes and then edited down to a radio edit as a 7 inch single, whereas from the 90s onwards it became the (repetitive beats) reverse, and the art of the 12 inch single was lost.

The movies had their moments too. Arguably some of the most enduring and ground breaking horror/sci-fi movies were made during the 80s, from most of the Alien franchise to John Carpenter's The Thing, to Back To The Future, as well as adventure franchises such as Indiana Jones.

So much artistic output from that era has stood the test of time. It defines the decade.
  • AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Slurpees from 7/11
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sinclair Spectrum (and other affordable 8-bit computers)

The golden age of games arcades

Good tv series eg Robin of Sherwood

Good films eg Terminator, Aliens, Predator, Back To The future etc.

Some good music, too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the 70's finished
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blue Monday and Relax.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My divorce became absolute in 85.......she was a bitch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Had my kids and got married and bought my first house. :)
    I must admit that I didn't care much for the music with the exception of ABBA and Queen. I didn't like the fashions and the hairstyles were pretty awful in my opinion.
    I enjoyed watching the Royal Weddings of Charles and Diana's and Andrew and Sarah's.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Less obsessing over children and less hysteria over 'paedos',

No mobile phones to keep track of you so more freedom than kids today, you could disappear for the day over the summer holidays and you wouldn't come home to a police search.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ENORMOUS hair.:D

I'm not sure that was a good thing mind.

But it was ENORMOUS.

Howard's Way going all Dallas - so, terrible, so funny.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Music
    Fashion
    it was a more simple life, no technology rotting our brains
    Putting a cassette in a sony walkman for the first time and going for a walk actually listening to your fave LP, brilliant!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Berlin Wall came down.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Sunday Sport
  • AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    ribtickle wrote: »
    The music scene was incredible, second only to the swinging 60s. On both occasions Britain ruled the (air) waves, and the US charts.

After the necessary flamethrower of punk has burnt glam rock to the ground new wave music was born, at the same time that new electronic instruments such as the sequencer and sampler, and later multitrack digital recording techniques became available, and all this happening with the exciting introduction of CD.

The movies had their moments too. Arguably some of the most enduring and ground breaking horror/sci fi movies were made during the 80s, from most of the Alien franchise to John Carpenter's Thing, to Back To The Future, and adventure franchises such as Indiana Jones.

So much artistic output from that era has stood the test of time. It defines the decade.

I think the 80s were probably the worst decade for movies, hardly any movie from that era are particularly watchable now. The 70s, 90s, 00s has loads of classics for me, Back To The Future is one of the few classics from the 80s, loads of rubbish bubble gum movies, and the emergence of special effects that really look terrible now. One thing the 80s had was some good comedies, with Airplane, Steve Martin, John Hughes, etc.

Music wise I loved 89 with the Emergence of House music, Madchester, etc... But when I think of 80s music I think Annie Lennox ad Phil Collins... So again not great, except the last year.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Had my kids and got married and bought my first house. :)
    I must admit that I didn't care much for the music with the exception of ABBA and Queen. I didn't like the fashions and the hairstyles were pretty awful in my opinion.
    I enjoyed watching the Royal Weddings of Charles and Diana's and Andrew and Sarah's.

Re. '80s music. There are a lot of performers from that time where I only like one, or maybe two or three of their songs. In many cases I remember the song, but forget the name of the act that performed it.