My cat's a bully?

TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
Forum Member
✭✭
I just had an irate neighbour ranting at me about my cat, who's apparently been terrorising her cat and other neighbours' cats for weeks.

I was surprised because my cat is very small for its age. He's 11 years old, but has the body and weight of a kitten, approx 9-11 months old (ll three vets over years said he was totally fine. Very healthy, too). In the house, he's gentle, quiet and reasonably friendly, and a quick learner. Our other two cats are much bigger, body-wise, weight-wise, personality-wise and god, voice-wise.

It'd make sense if it was one of the other two that's been bullying neighbours' cats, but this one? I just can't associate him with it. If anything, he's more likely to be a victim.

He's a standard black-and-white cat, but the neighbour insists it's him because she recognised his unusually small frame when she spotted him - her words - "beating up a poor tabby" in her own garden.

Is it possible for a cat to have a different personality outside its home? :confused: Was the neighbour overreacting? Cats are territorial, aren't they?

If it is indeed him, what's the usual solution? The only one I can come up with is make him a house cat, but I don't see how I can pull it off? We have a cat door and we sometimes leave windows open. Ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he neutered?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Is he neutered?

All our cats are.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get chip recognition cat flaps that will only let certain cats in/out.
    If tabby is new in the area I'm afraid a bit of rough and tumble will only be natural until territories are settled. I'm not sure I'd be keeping your cat in just on her say-so - he's been around 11 years so surely its the other cats who need to accomodate him, not the other way round?
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's entirely possible.

I look after our next door neighbour but one's cats on occasion and one of them is a big mardy puff ball of a thing that looks like butter wouldn't melt when at home.

However he turns into a beast when out and about and I often see him in my back garden terrorising the other next door neighbour's cats.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. My husband was annoyed the moment I told him what happened when he got home. He said something similar to what Shrike says. Our cat's been around long enough to protect his turf against new cats if he wants.

He's going to buy a camera-mounted collar for our cat to prove the neighbour's allegation wrong. I've tried to talk him out of it as it may be too big for our cat, but he's determined.

This is what he's getting: http://www.amazon.co.uk/EYENIMAL-NGCOLCAM002-Eyenimal-Petcam/dp/B007POVHBU/

I'm staying out from this ridiculous plan.

Anyway, thanks for posting.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's fine for it to defend YOUR territory (ie. your property), but when it's trying to extend it's territory to neighbours' properties and scare of their cats then that's an issue.

Build him a secure pen or keep him inside else you face serious, long term neighbourhood dispute and/or you cat 'disappearing' ;-)
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cats don't recognise human bounderies.
    It'd be very sad to keep in a cat who has been able to access the outside all its life just 'cos you're afraid something nasty will happen to it.
    Having said that a sensible discussion about cat behaviour would be the way to go with the neighbour - so many neighbour disputes could be nipped in the bud with a little diplomacy from the start.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds horribly familiar. I used to have a tiny, loving and gentle female. Except that she completely terrorised a neighbours cat twice her size. Later, in a bedsit house - she also bullied a massive German Shepherd - she would lay in wait on the stairs and he would whimper until someone led him past her - and his head alone was twice her size but he was terrified of her. !

I don't have any real answers - except that I really don't see there is anything the OP can do. If cats roam free, they are always going to meet up with feisty opponents. As long as there are no vet bill involved - I would honestly say - that's life.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have 3 cats all female. Next door have 2 male cats who are much bigger than all of ours and much older too. Both of them are scared of our middle cat, who is black and quite small.

If she sees them she runs up to them and, after they have growled at each other a bit etc, she hits them on the head with a hard paw and they run away. Cats are territorial and our cat thinks our garden and both of next doors are hers. As far as I can tell they don't actually fight. They are all neutered and spayed.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of cats here the smallest is the bully the bigger ones all live in fear of it. Apparently it's the most loving cat at home but out and about it's horrible bully.

I agree with Muze I am afraid, I would worry someone could take revenge or that I would end up with a big vet bill.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    it's fine for it to defend YOUR territory (ie. your property), but when it's trying to extend it's territory to neighbours' properties and scare of their cats then that's an issue.

Build him a secure pen or keep him inside else you face serious, long term neighbourhood dispute and/or you cat 'disappearing' ;-)

When I first moved to my house my Tabitha had to deal with a big bully who had identified my garden as his own (the previous owners were catless). Tabitha even came home bleeding once after he attacked her.

I chased away the cat whenever I could - though he wasn't scared of me and often wouldn't move so I had to resort to water squirting. However, as a cat owner and lover, it never once occurred to me to complain to the cat's owner. I certainly didn't expect the owner to confine such an obviously outdoor cat and I understood why the cat was doing what he was doing. In his eyes, my Tabitha was the interloper. It all settled down in the end as Tabitha became accepted (she was so lovely and over the years earned the respect of other local cats), her scent pervaded the garden and I spent a lot of time out there myself with her.

I know there are people who hate cats but very few people actually hurt cats (the few who do get heavily publicised/prosecuted so we get skewed perceptions of the problem - also reading DS GD threads certainly would make anyone fear for their cat's safety :o). Generally, cat owners would never hurt another person's cat no matter how much we may 'hate' that cat.
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one with a tiny cat here that bully's my other cats mercilessly.

She's 14 years old & weighs next to nothing compared to my other 2 babies (yes she's healthy & happy)

Both my other two are bigger than her but they're scared of her as she's a grumpy old lady when she feels their getting the attention she obviously deserves more :D

The little ones are the worst :D
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The little ones are the worst :D

Some cats simply don't know their own size. Today my husband had to break up a fight between our tiny, elderly cat and a huge magpie (we have a pair of magpies nesting in our garden). The magpie is bigger than her..she's been stalking it for days :o
  • FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine are the victims of neighbourhood bullies- there's a lovely looking grey monster across the road who is a real softy when he's at home but attacks people in the street and is constantly fighting my cats through the windows. Luckily the curtains are the only casualties but when they do meet outside it's quite scary. Unfortunately for me my cats also defend their internal borders so it seems like if they aren't fighting someone else they're fighting each other.
  • FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine are the victims of neighbourhood bullies- there's a lovely looking grey monster across the road who is a real softy when he's at home but attacks people in the street and is constantly fighting my cats through the windows. Luckily the curtains are the only casualties but when they do meet outside it's quite scary. Unfortunately for me my cats also defend their internal borders so it seems like if they aren't fighting someone else they're fighting each other.