Options

Ulster-Scot Culture

highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I would like to hear peoples views on it, especially from Scottish people.
Do you have an affinity for the culture?

I was reading a few interesting articles recently regarding the complicated matter of the Ulster-Scot culture in Northern Ireland, it should also be noted that the culture is also present in places like Donegal and Monaghan across the border.

http://amgobsmacked.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ulster-scot-or-simply-ulster-protestant.html

http://amgobsmacked.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2015-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=2

and here is an example of an Ulster-Scot mural in Belfast
http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/odlin1/graphics/ireland/ulscotbg.jpg

It would usually be seen as an Anti-Irish sort of culture but I would view myself as an Ulster-Scot even though I would lean towards the Republican side of things. I have some Scottish descent from clans such as MacNicholl and McElhone however I wouldn't view it as a massive part of my identity though, I would largely view myself as Irish-Gaelic.

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I come from the Irish nationalist side of the house (even though I don't see myself as nationalist) and I don't have a problem with it. Everyone is entitled to their culture so I say live and let live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I come from the Irish nationalist side of the house (even though I don't see myself as nationalist) and I don't have a problem with it. Everyone is entitled to their culture so I say live and let live.

that's the problem with it though, it should never have been turned into a unionist sort of culture, that is best seen with the union flag being displayed infront of the highland dancers, the same could be said about the tri-colour flying at Gaelic Games grounds
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that's the problem with it though, it should never have been turned into a unionist sort of culture, that is best seen with the union flag being displayed infront of the highland dancers, the same could be said about the tri-colour flying at Gaelic Games grounds

To be fair, most culture in Northern Ireland gets turned into a Unionist V Nationalist pissing contest.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Just that bugaboo called religion which people put before culture. Nowadays the divide is so entrenched that even the secularly inclined struggled to bridge it.

Also the assumption that all vaguely "Celtic" areas of Britain have a common history is only partly true. The author of that piece only hints at the "Lowland Scots" angle. Despite a few exceptions the plantation settlers were mainly Lowland Scots who spoke a language wholly unrelated to Gaelic. But again the very tangible differences in culture were not the main reason for the divide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just that bugaboo called religion which people put before culture. Nowadays the divide is so entrenched that even the secularly inclined struggled to bridge it.

Also the assumption that all vaguely "Celtic" areas of Britain have a common history is only partly true. The author of that piece only hints at the "Lowland Scots" angle. Despite a few exceptions the plantation settlers were mainly Lowland Scots who spoke a language wholly unrelated to Gaelic. But again the very tangible differences in culture were not the main reason for the divide.

Why do many unionist people harp on about the '4000 year link with scotland' then?e.g the mural. The link pre-plantation was with the highlands as far as i know, maybe it's just a case of history being twisted.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many U.S, Presidents were of Ulster Scots descent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

As were many High Kings of Ireland usually via their mothers, kings usually married to form political ties with other kings
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

As were the original Hill Billies in the Appalachian Mountains.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calling a spade a spade, it's about time N. Ireland got over it's obsession in being associated with one group, ideology, clan, religion and actually just got on with being boring and normal not giving a shite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Calling a spade a spade, it's about time N. Ireland got over it's obsession in being associated with one group, ideology, clan, religion and actually just got on with being boring and normal not giving a shite.

Boring doesn't create tourism though, the more culture the place has and the more it is expressed creates an outside interest (providing there is no riots).
    I am associated with 2 groups, Irish Gaelic and Ulster-Scot, that surely is good for cross community relations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boring doesn't create tourism though, the more culture the place has and the more it is expressed creates an outside interest (providing there is no riots).
    I am associated with 2 groups, Irish Gaelic and Ulster-Scot, that surely is good for cross community relations.
    Well like Ireland and the likes of France, US etc manage to bring in a fair amount of tourists without the need for such divisive "culture"... I don't particarly know what "culture" I come from - probably Irish nationalist on one side and raging blood thirsty alcoholics on the other :) ...

... Btw the north has much more going for it then any cultures or clash of cultures for tourists, nice little place to spend a weekend.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I'm not really a follower of the Ulster-Scots-I think it's a minority interest really, but well each to their own.

If want to bring in tourists show them a picture of the Giants Causeway on a good day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well like Ireland and the likes of France, US etc manage to bring in a fair amount of tourists without the need for such divisive "culture"... I don't particarly know what "culture" I come from - probably Irish nationalist on one side and raging blood thirsty alcoholics on the other :) ...

... Btw the north has much more going for it then any cultures or clash of cultures for tourists, nice little place to spend a weekend.

No your culture would be Corkonian, it's a common fact that Corkonians and Dubliners are different to all the other free-staters
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    I'm not really a follower of the Ulster-Scots-I think it's a minority interest really, but well each to their own.

If want to bring in tourists show them a picture of the Giants Causeway on a good day!
    Or the walls of Derry, the titanic place in Belfast, the glens of Antrim etc.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to hear peoples views on it, especially from Scottish people.
    Do you have an affinity for the culture?

*snip*.

God no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No your culture would be Corkonian, it's a common fact that Corkonians and Dubliners are different to all the other free-staters
    Aye I suppose we're a bred of our own ... a gentle, kindhearted, peaceful race of people not like you lot of messers :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or the walls of Derry, the titanic place in Belfast, the glens of Antrim etc.

Yeah and the Mourne Mountains, along the North Down Coast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah and the Mourne Mountains, along the North Down Coast.
    Yep a nice little place which is grand and small and could easily be done by a visitor on a tour of the whole country in the space of a week or two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye I suppose we're a bred of our own ... a gentle, kindhearted, peaceful race of people not like you lot of messers :)

no sure I was at mass yesterday morning saying my prayers, however I spent the rest of the day watching adult webcams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no sure I was at mass yesterday morning saying my prayers, however I spent the rest of the day watching adult webcams.
    Ha most of us after giving up on the whole Catholic Church thing down here and sure if the bit saucy adult cams do it for ya then fire away - you only live once :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep a nice little place which is grand and small and could easily be done by a visitor on a tour of the whole country in the space of a week or two.

:D

We should be getting paid by the Northern Ireland Tourist Board!

I would quite like to see Galway in the Republic. Think it'd be nice to see too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

We should be getting paid by the Northern Ireland Tourist Board!

I would quite like to see Galway in the Republic. Think it'd be nice to see too.
    Yeah Galway a great place, very young city (as in population) from what I seen - mad little place, great for pinting, women and a bit of a sing song.... Perfect :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I had someone email me on a dating website asked me if I had a webcam, I said no, said that was a pity, he wanted to see my tits :p:o

I was a bit like no not gonna happen!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had someone email me on a dating website asked me if I had a webcam, I said no, said that was a pity, he wanted to see my tits :p:o

I have done the same a few times though I usually offer a small payment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was highking! ... I can't believe he asked to see your tits ... :p