Options

How Do Young People Have Such Nice Cars?

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm looking to get my first car (I'm 27 and only passed my test last year). I have a good amount to spend on a car, but I'm shocked at the amount of people ages say between 19 - 25 who have extremely nice cars, such as those big, flash white Range Rovers. Or even 2013/13 reg Golf's, Polo's or 2012/13 reg Fiat 500's. How on earth are they affording cars like this? Am I missing a trick here?!

Comments

• Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a well paid job, rich parents or they are drug dealers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Either they have brilliant jobs or finance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    It's called the bank of mum and dad. That's why. Most of my school friends got brought new cars or quite good second hand cars by their parents for passing their test. I was the only one who used my savings to buy my mum's car off of her. My car is now 14 years old, so its not one of the new models at all.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much money does the bank of mum and dad have? :o

I always assume these people have bought the car on finance. Most of the mums doing the school run have expensive-looking cars too .... yet they appear to be stay-at home mums. So they are single-income families. I doubt all of the dads are GPs, accountants and stockbrokers.
    They are probably managing on £30-40k a year and I cannot see how they can afford or justify their fancy Land Rovers ....
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why do losers get hot chicks?
    teh mind bogglz
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next time you drive past one, look under the number plate. Chances is it will either say 'Leaseplan' or 'Lex autolease'.

Failing that it might be the Bank of mum & dad, finance or savings from a well paid job.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Rich parents or they have very well-paid jobs.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finance deals make getting a decent car easier, don't think younger people think about being tied into these deals for the next ten years. a younger guy at work pays around £250 a month for his car, not a great paid job either so after his monthly bills are paid he has about £50 a month for food, I guess the car is more important lol.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet it's drugs. It's always drugs.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    Gage wrote: »
    Next time you drive past one, look under the number plate. Chances is it will either say 'Leaseplan' or 'Lex autolease'.

It doesn't really matter - leasing a car costs about the same as buying one on finance :D
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I always wonder where my friends get money for cars and driving lessons most get all the money off their parents. I don't know how so many parents can afford that sort of money.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    The ol' DS thing of not being able to grasp that people have money is here again.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bank of mum and dad most probably. In 1996 I bought my first car a Y reg Mk 1 Ford Fiesta for £600. It was my own money that paid for that, was not the greatest car. Did me well though for a few years.
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Finance or rich parents, blates.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    How much money does the bank of mum and dad have? :o

I always assume these people have bought the car on finance. Most of the mums doing the school run have expensive-looking cars too .... yet they appear to be stay-at home mums. So they are single-income families. I doubt all of the dads are GPs, accountants and stockbrokers.
    They are probably managing on £30-40k a year and I cannot see how they can afford or justify their fancy Land Rovers ....

They weren't always stay-at-home mums though, and many will have part-time jobs or work flexible hours.
  • Options
    alr837alr837 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or they're driving mum and dad's car
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum and Dad may not be cash rich, but they most probably are property rich - people in their 50s will often be in houses worth £200k plus with little mortgage. So when young Johnny or Jenny 'need' a car its pretty simple to simply re-mortgage and splash the cash.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The insurance probably costs as much as the car does in some cases.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Dunno why anybody might assume these people need to have particularly well-paid jobs.

When you're a teenager, possibly still living with your parents, that's precisely the time when you can afford to spend a large chunk of a modest income on cool toys rather than being forced to spend it on mundane stuff.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I would have thought it's obvious: finance. You can get a brand new car paying around £250 a month or less. As long as you're in full time employment you should be able to afford that.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Dunno why anybody might assume these people need to have particularly well-paid jobs.

When you're a teenager, possibly still living with your parents, that's precisely the time when you can afford to spend a large chunk of a modest income on cool toys rather than being forced to spend it on mundane stuff.

This. It's not rocket science. An average job, bit of housekeeping, the odd night out and all the food and washing done for you. It's easily afforded. Either the op doesn't live at home or is crap with money.