TomTom map inaccuracies

c3pod4qpc3pod4qp Posts: 630
Forum Member
✭✭
I have just bought a TomTom One XL. To familiarise myself with it I have done a small amount of driving (about 10 miles) in a city centre on roads I know well. On three occasions, in just 10 miles, I have been 'told' to turn where this is either impossible (permanent bollards) or illegal (no left/right turn). All these turns have been impossible/illegal for many, many years. I have recently 'upgraded' from a Navman and had relatively few problems with map inaccuracies.

My concern is that, in a city I don't know, the TomTom may lead me into trouble. If the number of inaccuracies in one city centre (that I have discovered) is extrapolated to the whole of the UK then there may be thousands. I have checked my map data code on the TomTom website and was assured that the maps were up to date.

Does anyone else have similar problems with a TomTom or other satnav?

Comments

• tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may have the latest maps but, as you have spotted, they may be years old.

If I use my Tomtom GO 700 along the A10 in Hertfordshire it thinks I'm driving across fields instead of the new(??) A10 between the A602 and the A120.

There are always stories of drivers who have taken them far too literally and ended up on railway lines/up one way streets the wrong way etc. These people really shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place as they are obviously devoid of any independent thought.
  • c3pod4qpc3pod4qp Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim1964 wrote: »
    You may have the latest maps but, as you have spotted, they may be years old.

If I use my Tomtom GO 700 along the A10 in Hertfordshire it thinks I'm driving across fields instead of the new(??) A10 between the A602 and the A120.

There are always stories of drivers who have taken them far too literally and ended up on railway lines/up one way streets the wrong way etc. These people really shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place as they are obviously devoid of any independent thought.

My TomTom knows exactly were I am (it shows my position accurately on the map). It is the instructions that are inaccurate. Does your TomTom show the A10? If it does, maybe your satnav is not picking up your position correctly.

I am just concerned that I will follow the instructions (i.e. stay right), only to find I am in the completely the wrong lane or stuck in the middle of the road facing a 'no entry' sign. Compared to the Navman, my new TomTom doesn't fill me with confidence. When I said 'many, many years' I meant about 20 - the junctions in question haven't changed in decades! Hopefully 'Mapshare' will solve these problems, although there haven't been any updates yet (I have chosen all but one of the options).