Horizon missed recording, anyone else ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
Forum Member
Horizon on BBC2 failed to record for me last night.

Was recording BBC1 as well and watching the footy so it should have displayed a message telling me that i couldnt watch ITV. I totally forgot that 2 programs were supposed to be recording so I didn't realise there was a problem until i checked later.

Horizon just stayed in the schedule without being recorded.

Anyone else have this problem ? or is it just me.

Thats the 2nd program thats failed recently. (just as my lock ups seem to have stopped !!)

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaulB67 wrote: »
    Horizon on BBC2 failed to record for me last night.

Was recording BBC1 as well and watching the footy so it should have displayed a message telling me that i couldnt watch ITV. I totally forgot that 2 programs were supposed to be recording so I didn't realise there was a problem until i checked later.

Horizon just stayed in the schedule without being recorded.

Anyone else have this problem ? or is it just me.

Thats the 2nd program thats failed recently. (just as my lock ups seem to have stopped !!)

Can you post which BBC region you were recording and which region of BBC 2 you wanted to record. Also were you watching ITV in SD or HD. (If SD what region) ? It's possible that on screen warnings don't work on ITV HD. Anyone had a clash warning while watching ITV HD ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Horizon failed to record for me last night too (BBC2 England). In my case, there was no explanation for this: everything seemed to be running to schedule and I had nothing else recording so there was no clash.

Perhaps the question is whether anyone did successfully record the programme last night? I'm wondering whether the programme data just wasn't broadcast?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OnlyLee wrote: »
    Horizon failed to record for me last night too (BBC2 England). In my case, there was no explanation for this: everything seemed to be running to schedule and I had nothing else recording so there was no clash.

Perhaps the question is whether anyone did successfully record the programme last night? I'm wondering whether the programme data just wasn't broadcast?

That would explain why the OP did not get a warning message (he had a spare tuner he thought was recording)
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the Humax remove a programme from the schedule the next day even if it hasn't recorded?

This is what's puzzling about my missing films; they have gone from the schedule. If they were still there I would just have assumed a Snafu with the metadata on Film4's part.
  • germanycallinggermanycalling Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the ITV HD has something to do with this? Is it in effect using two " active channels" to allow the switching between HD and SD?? I had a clash on Monday where I was recording ITV HD whilst listening to BBC radio 5 for the footie. When an overlapping recording was due to start I got the clash warning and the request to delete the most recent request.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=30990456&postcount=1061
    It was fortunate that I had the screen on at that point ( I was curious to see what happened !) otherwise I would have been none the wiser until later. I thought I had done something wrong, but now maybe not.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the ITV HD has something to do with this? Is it in effect using two " active channels" to allow the switching between HD and SD?? I had a clash on Monday where I was recording ITV HD whilst listening to BBC radio 5 for the footie. When an overlapping recording was due to start I got the clash warning and the request to delete the most recent request.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=30990456&postcount=1061
    It was fortunate that I had the screen on at that point ( I was curious to see what happened !) otherwise I would have been none the wiser until later. I thought I had done something wrong, but now maybe not.:confused:

It does not use 2 channels when it's actually tuned. Suppose you are recording BBC HD on one tuner and are going to record ITV HD so you tune to 103 just before recording is due to start. When the box is due to switch to ITV HD it warns you in a long message that you have a clash. The clash is that it can't tune ITV HD without taking you off ITV SD, if you do nothing it switches to ITV HD starts the recording and you are left watching ITV HD. If you tune to a different channel say bloomberg TV (which is possible while recording BBC HD and ITV HD) and then back to 103 you will find you are still watching the HD transmission (no red button required)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Horizon failed for me too...
    box was in standby.
    It came out of standby at 20:45 as expected.
    Recording symbol came on about 21:00, so I thought it was Horizon, but found out later it was recording another show ("Naked"), and had missed Horizon.

It is still in the schedule though.

I can only assume it was a meta-data issue snafu from BBC.

Note that the show is repeated on 7th March, 01:10 (probably with the signing person in the corner though)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Me Too. Failed to record Horizon while I was on ITV HD.
    Coincidence ? I blame the Americans.

I also have an Oz And James Drink To Britain sitting in the schedule from 24-02 although it has recorded.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also have an Oz And James Drink To Britain sitting in the schedule from 24-02 although it has recorded.

yes you should as it was the final episode it won't progress any further ie. to next weeks slot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm, so looks like it failed for everyone then.

Does that mean its nothing to do with the box and its actually something to do with freesat itself ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    PaulB67 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, so looks like it failed for everyone then.

Does that mean its nothing to do with the box and its actually something to do with freesat itself ?

Well, not freesat exactly but it seems quite feasible that this was a mistake at broadcast rather than with the box. Since there are no other recording boxes out there at the moment I'm not sure if we can say for sure.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OnlyLee wrote: »
    Well, not freesat exactly but it seems quite feasible that this was a mistake at broadcast rather than with the box. Since there are no other recording boxes out there at the moment I'm not sure if we can say for sure.

Well it seems it was the freesat data as it recorded OK here on a Sky+.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Mine recorded. (BBC2 England)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Mine appears in the media list with a "new" icon, but it says (0m)
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might be irrelevant but my DTT box had two recordings for Horizon. One was showing as 2100-2100, the other was 2100-2150. The latter was complete and played fine. The other I just deleted.

I wonder if the BBC screwed up their start/stop information and it affected both systems? My DTT is set up to use Accurate Record on Freeview so would be at the mercy of the BBC as to when it started/stopped.
  • Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Mine also failed to record (BBC2 England) but fortunately I watched the programme live, so didn't miss it. I wasn't recording anything else at the time; the REC symbol just failed to show at any time during the 21:00 - 21:50 time period. The timer was left in the schedule overnight but by the next day it had moved on to next week's programme. I have this on a Weekly schedule, not Series Link.

A metadata cock-up, then!

Geoff
    Forum Member
    So far it looks like mine was the only one that recorded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckie008 wrote: »
    So far it looks like mine was the only one that recorded.

Do you use Autotracking or Autopadding? Or do you have a repeat timer rather than a Series Record?
    Forum Member
    I will provide more details this evening as i have to go back to work!
    Forum Member
    So..

I programmed in Horizon (9pm BBC2 England) earlier in the evening via the guide and selecting record once (not the series recording) and Timewatch (8pm BBCHD) and Shameless (10pm CH4) all same method using Autotracking. Left it to it, and it recorded everything perfectly. So i don't understand why nobody elses recorded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I had the series recording set up and it failed to record. This has got to be a broadcaster problem, having looked at the episodic information for last weeks and next weeks they don't appear to running them in episode number order so canonly assume it's a BBC scheduling error for the whole season so we Might have to do individual recordings on this one until the series ends.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckie008 wrote: »
    So..

I programmed in Horizon (9pm BBC2 England) earlier in the evening via the guide and selecting record once (not the series recording) and Timewatch (8pm BBCHD) and Shameless (10pm CH4) all same method using Autotracking. Left it to it, and it recorded everything perfectly. So i don't understand why nobody elses recorded.
    I reckon Series Link must have been the cause.

Could it be that on DTT (for bandwidth reasons) AR only includes minimal information? Perhaps my box (a Humax 9200T) started the recording on cue then spotted from now/next that the episode number was wrong and started again?

I don't suppose we'll ever know and since I was a lowly DTT user in this case it's largely irrelevant :)