Kerry Katona - Public Opinion

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
Forum Member
With all her recent coverage and comeback tv stuff, what do you think the general concensus is about KK, will they like the comeback spirit, or has she bitten off the hand that feeds her, too many times?

I am on the fence, i kind of like her 'never say die' attitude, but am then swayed by her disregard to her celebrity attitude to the people that made her.

Will the public rewarm to her or just give her the snub treatment?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Depends how gullible they are and believe the spin that comes from Can Management. Remember her professional partner Dan is very popular so sadly that alone might keep her in long past her sell by date !
  • HeraclitusDaysHeraclitusDays Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tredder wrote: »
    With all her recent coverage and comeback tv stuff, what do you think the general concensus is about KK, will they like the comeback spirit, or has she bitten off the hand that feeds her, too many times?

I am on the fence, i kind of like her 'never say die' attitude, but am then swayed by her disregard to her celebrity attitude to the people that made her.

Will the public rewarm to her or just give her the snub treatment?

I'd like to give people the credit to see through the very basic level of spin her management team put out into the media. My personal feeling is that she is a complete self parody, a media attention seeker with no real discernable identity or talent. Sadly all too often 'media consensus' becomes 'public consensus' - the tabloid media have caused the two concepts to become inextricably linked and an overwhelming proportion of people take what they read as fact, when most of what they read is carefully manipulated. As such I care little for so called 'public opinion' as I know my own mind and don't covet the approval/reassurance of the masses.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I would give a second [or is it third, fourth?] chance to make a go of her career. She may fail miserably, but I think you've got to give her some credit for trying to turn her life around for herself and her children.

The fact that Dan is so popular is why I chose her in the sweepstake as I doubt many of the GBP are as forgiving [or gullible some might say!] as me:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    My general opinion of her is that she's a rotten apple, and someone with no real substance to her desire to be famous, just another celebrity hoping that people latch on to her rebuilding programme.

But more importantly, i am just assessing whether to rule her out of the betting, i think Sam is a stand out with Jeff (public waves of sympathy) or Laura as the other real contenders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My general opinion of her is that she's a rotten apple, and someone with no real substance to her desire to be famous, just another celebrity hoping that people latch on to her rebuilding programme.

But more importantly, i am just assessing whether to rule her out of the betting, i think Sam is a stand out with Jeff (public waves of sympathy) or Laura as the other real contenders.

If anyone of the contestants are deserving of the 'public hero' vote its probably got to be a choice between Jeff and JB VC.
    Forum Member
    If anyone of the contestants are deserving of the 'public hero' vote its probably got to be a choice between Jeff and JB VC.

Didn't work for Steve in BB, Sam seems to be the best skater by a mile, but Jeff is a trier, an all round nice guy and will have the Jade vote, i guess.

Sympathy over substance
    Forum Member
    I'd like to give people the credit to see through the very basic level of spin her management team put out into the media. My personal feeling is that she is a complete self parody, a media attention seeker with no real discernable identity or talent. Sadly all too often 'media consensus' becomes 'public consensus' - the tabloid media have caused the two concepts to become inextricably linked and an overwhelming proportion of people take what they read as fact, when most of what they read is carefully manipulated. As such I care little for so called 'public opinion' as I know my own mind and don't covet the approval/reassurance of the masses.

True! I would hazard a guess that probably less than 10% of stories reported in the papers are true. I read them and laugh and just let their skating do the talking.

Tredder I agree and think Katona is a "rotten apple" too, a product of her up bringing most definitely. I'm prepared to give her a chance though. I'm in no position to judge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't work for Steve in BB, Sam seems to be the best skater by a mile, but Jeff is a trier, an all round nice guy and will have the Jade vote, i guess.

Sympathy over substance

In the interview on This Morning with his bro, Jeff seemed like a super intelligent and decent guy, which I have to say suprised me. Sam wants the fame really badly, clearly judging by the number projects he has going on at the same time and has no doubt been practicing for a while. I think they are both decent contenders.;)
    Forum Member
    Absolutely, i am in no position to comment and judge on peoples pasts, but that's the beauty of it, we do.

I just have this nagging thing about KK, that she has the gift to turn it all around, it's a whole different ball game when comparing Living with ITV, a whole different set of viewers, her and Jeff will have their past dragged up, but you kind of think Jeff would rather it wasn't used a bartering tool for votes, whereas, KK will use everything in her armoury to gain public acceptance, it's a toughy, Welch will have the lunchtime vote, Sam will have the eastenders/best skater vote, Laura will get the likeability vote, Jeff is a cheeky chappy, and should get the younger women and the Jade Goody voters, JB is a hero, but is that enough to win a programme of this nature.

3 for me are:

Sam
    Jeff
    KK - Only because i see this going one of 2 ways, out very early or a change of wind direction for her, and if that happens, she can go a long way.
  • rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    im willing to judge her on her actual skating performances, i know she has had scandal but people are always going to jump on the bandwagon about her !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im willing to judge her on her actual skating performances, i know she has had scandal but people are always going to jump on the bandwagon about her !

I think most people would like to 'judge her on her actual skating performances', but she is making a rod for her own back with the choice of management and subsequent non-story press releases. I don't think its a bandwagon merely a rational judgement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely, i am in no position to comment and judge on peoples pasts, but that's the beauty of it, we do.

I just have this nagging thing about KK, that she has the gift to turn it all around, it's a whole different ball game when comparing Living with ITV, a whole different set of viewers, her and Jeff will have their past dragged up, but you kind of think Jeff would rather it wasn't used a bartering tool for votes, whereas, KK will use everything in her armoury to gain public acceptance, it's a toughy, Welch will have the lunchtime vote, Sam will have the eastenders/best skater vote, Laura will get the likeability vote, Jeff is a cheeky chappy, and should get the younger women and the Jade Goody voters, JB is a hero, but is that enough to win a programme of this nature.

3 for me are:

Sam
    Jeff
    KK - Only because i see this going one of 2 ways, out very early or a change of wind direction for her, and if that happens, she can go a long way.

It really is far too early to tell, I know of the ability of 4/5 of the couples and they are probably all in with a good shot.....but beyond that is anyones guess:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I doubt i'll bother to watch this upcoming series, as I can't bear the woman!
    Forum Member
    Playing "Devil's Advocate" here, does anyone actually know that her management are feeding these stories to the press ? I subscribe to Google Alerts for Dancing On Ice and you want to see the drivvle I get sent. There was about 10 Dancing On Ice stories today, one was about Brianne "Getting her leg over" and there was a picture of her doing an exercise with Sam. The report went on to say that she was dating Danny Young, again this is incorrect as I believe they have separated recently.

The press will no doubt be picking up on every little comment all the celebs says and making a story out of them, that's how they fill their papers every day.

That said, I'm not a fan of Katona and I think she will be out relatively soon, despite Dan Whiston's popularity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TipToeTil wrote: »
    Playing "Devil's Advocate" here, does anyone actually know that her management are feeding these stories to the press ? I subscribe to Google Alerts for Dancing On Ice and you want to see the drivvle I get sent. There was about 10 Dancing On Ice stories today, one was about Brianne "Getting her leg over" and there was a picture of her doing an exercise with Sam. The report went on to say that she was dating Danny Young, again this is incorrect as I believe they have separated recently.

The press will no doubt be picking up on every little comment all the celebs says and making a story out of them, that's how they fill their papers every day.

That said, I'm not a fan of Katona and I think she will be out relatively soon, despite Dan Whiston's popularity.

'actually know that her management are feeding these stories to the press'

hey TTT not wanting to patronise you, but its a little naive to think otherwise. I think that their approach is to get stories in the press everyday even if there is actually no story. I guess (!) they think that greater exposure = greater votes, but the maths doesn't always work.
    Forum Member
    'actually know that her management are feeding these stories to the press'

hey TTT not wanting to patronise you, but its a little naive to think otherwise. I think that their approach is to get stories in the press everyday even if there is actually no story. I guess (!) they think that greater exposure = greater votes, but the maths doesn't always work.

Hey HD I don't believe you ;) I could say I KNOW that her management are NOT !! I suspect you're one of these that says I KNOW THIS I KNOW THAT when in reality you know nothing and are just guessing (!) :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey HD I don't believe you ;) I could say I KNOW that her management are NOT !! I suspect you're one of these that says I KNOW THIS I KNOW THAT when in reality you know nothing and are just guessing (!) :rolleyes:

I'll give you more credit than that.:p
    Forum Member
    I'll give you more credit than that.:p

Thanks but I don't need your credit HD ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks but I don't need your credit HD ;)

You can't please everyone :) although I don't 'just say these things' - Someone was talking about a WAG being in the show, I pointed to Elen Rivas and someone doubted me claiming it was Claudine Keane......
  • KMXKMX Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a bad feeling she will do quite well.

Personally I can't stand the woman and neither can anybody I know, she is a mockery in the UK these days. However these shows can have a habit of working in somebody's favour. In 2004 she won IAC so there was something about her then that people liked - if she can show that same person and put in some good performances on this show she will go quite far. The public have short memories so all of her negative aspects could be forgotten.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's a nice girl. When she won the jungle show people liked her as she came across well. Since then she's made a hash up of her life, sold her soul to the media and married a complete XXXX (make up your own mind). Maybe she's back to being the old Kerry that people liked in the jungle show, as she's now clean of the hubby and the drugs.

I just wish the media would stop making crap telly about celebs lives. I'm not interested. We've those bloody Osbournes to blame for this current crop.
  • -Felicity--Felicity- Posts: 4,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna watch her with an open mind and just see how entertaining she is when skating :)

I had the same reservations with Daniella last year but I ended up loving her! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Felicity- wrote: »
    I'm gonna watch her with an open mind and just see how entertaining she is when skating :)

I had the same reservations with Daniella last year but I ended up loving her! :D

Don't Northerners love their own unreservedly though, maybe the Welsh and Irish too. Whilst I'm on a roll with sweeping generalisations, I think Southerners tend to have a general indifference to people from their 'own' area as there is an ever increasing homogenization of society and diminishing sense of identity...............or maybe thats just me. Personally I don't care for peoples pasts that much, I like to judge them on their current actions/behaviour but sadly nothing seems to have changed with Ms Katona.......still covets publicity for the sake of publicity and seems to air loads of her dirty laundry in public - you can't really compare her with Daniella in that respect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eviesmum wrote: »
    I think she's a nice girl. When she won the jungle show people liked her as she came across well. Since then she's made a hash up of her life, sold her soul to the media and married a complete XXXX (make up your own mind). Maybe she's back to being the old Kerry that people liked in the jungle show, as she's now clean of the hubby and the drugs.

I just wish the media would stop making crap telly about celebs lives. I'm not interested. We've those bloody Osbournes to blame for this current crop.

Thing is... her own PR company CAN produce that crap TV and in doing so they get some of the highest ratings on that channel (thanks to a Mr Andre) and the public are to blame for that, so its not going away any time soon. Its a vicious cycle for an empty vessel and a sorry reflection of society in general. In short what I'm trying to say is a large number of people behave like morons, buying trash magazines, watching trash TV......nullifying the masses.
  • DarcyprincessDarcyprincess Posts: 25,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally, I think that you calling her a rotten apple is a little harsh. Considering her awful upbringing and going from home to home and into care and then having two husbands that used her and Brian dumping her when he was obviously the love of her life, I think that she has had a hard time of it!

At least Kerry is trying to make a better life for therself and her children and I for one will be voting for who is the best skater, not putting the contestants down about their pasts!