Options

Going in to work when ill

2»

Comments

• Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll go in if I'm feeling mildly unwell for a couple of days, but if it goes on for longer than that I'll phone in sick.

One time last year I had a really bad cold and was off for 3 days. When I phoned in, I could tell my boss had a cold too! Within a couple of weeks, about 8 of us had had it!
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually when I'm ill its a reaction to medication, so nothing that can be transferred, but if I've thrown up, I have to wait at least 48 hours before going back regardless. I hate being off as its bad for the rest of the team, but being a tour guide, I'm literally no use if I'm on new pills and slurring my words/falling asleep.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    People who get paid when off sick tend to be off more than those who don't.

This.

The bills need to be paid. Unless I can't get out of bed I will be at work. If that's selfish then tough. No-one else is going to keep the roof over my head while I stay at home to make sure no-one else catches a cold.
  • Options
    TangledNemoTangledNemo Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every job I've had had disciplinary procedures if you were off more than 3 times a year. In my last job, I went home early twice because I was sick and had two separate periods of absence after being in a car crash. If I had fallen sick again before October this year, I would have had to go in, especially since the pay in the job was terrible as it was and they only did SSP if you were off for 5days +.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Many people come in when ill as they feel pressured to do so. They live in fear of losing their jobs.

This does not apply to the person I posted about. Our company wouldn't bat an eyelid if someone took time off when genuinely ill. She does it to feel superior, and if anyone else has any time off, she delights in pointing out that she still came in when she was ill.

No thought or care that she may have made them ill in the first place.

Her attitude seems to be "I'm ill, so you all have to be too, but I'll still soldier on (because great and soooo committed), while you weaklings all take time off."
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    This.

The bills need to be paid. Unless I can't get out of bed I will be at work. If that's selfish then tough. No-one else is going to keep the roof over my head while I stay at home to make sure no-one else catches a cold.

So basically you're saying I don't care if someone else gets ill because of me going into ill sick. I don't care if you lose money all I care about is me
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    So basically you're saying I don't care if someone else gets ill because of me going into ill sick. I don't care if you lose money all I care about is me

Exactly what I just said. The OP and others who agree are only interested in not catching cold or sickness from somebody else regardless of whether or not someone may have to come in to work because of their financial situation . The other side of the coin is people need the money and giving someone else a bug is not a priority as compared with being unable to pay their rent and bills..
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    I know there have been threads about this before but I couldn't find them.

People at my work keep making me ill by coming in spreading their germs.
    Now I am feeling ill. Should I lick all the cups in order to spread my illness just to spite them?

Yes and make sure you cough and sneeze not covering your mouth and nose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People who go out when ill do my ****ing head in!

Selfish!
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who go out when ill do my ****ing head in!

Selfish!

Really....II thought... Never mind.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    I blame the Daily Mail personally.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Jimmy Savile has had a hand in this as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Really....II thought... Never mind.

What?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    As some one with no sick pay and not entitled to statutory sick pay either I work unless I am actually dying even then I will struggle on as long as I can. Not best for the company, colleagues or myself but can't afford to just not work.

How can you not be entitled to SSP?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have the same draconian attendance management procedures as many others, these days.

Quite interesting actually, because, as most intelligent people already know, illness is no respecter of rank. Recently one of our senior managers was taken ill, and has been off sick for nearly 2 months. Whether he will be treated in the same way as the average bod who is off ill for that length of time, I have my doubts, but staff are quite rightly curious.