Options

Simon Cowell angry with Xtra Factor producers because of dolphin clip.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
Forum Member
Last weeks Xtra Factor showed a clip of this weeks show where contestants were shown playing with dolphins at Judges houses. Since the clip was shown last week as a ‘coming up’ extra, members of the public were outraged with the show, tweeting, starting petitions and sending hate to fellow Judges.

Simon has demanded an edit on the show.

Source: http://www.twitcelebgossip.com/8587-simon-cowell-demands-edit-on-this-weeks-xtra-factor-due-to-dolphins/

Comments

• Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    Erm, what's the big deal about swiming with dolphins? Am I missing something major? How is that cruelty to animals.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get it either.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope he hadn't seen the inbetweeners 2 film
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I don't get it either.

the bit that got me in the article was the mention of showing the pictures would have children pestering their parents to go to seaworld on holiday

you mean unlike the 473 adverts we get during every show that do a similar thing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »

So funny! haha
  • Options
    Sarah_CollinsSarah_Collins Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »

I doubt he has, Simon is not the sort to watch that film, but if he did though haha.
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that those places are thought of as cruel as the dolphins/other creatures are held in captivity in an environment that is not natural for them and forced to perform. I am not sure though, I just guessed that was the reason from the ladies statement. I think they don't want children to grow up thinking it is okay. I don't see the problem as long as the animals are well fed and get medical treatment when needed. Then again I am not an animal lover so I don't know a lot about the topic, I focus on human issues.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those poor dumb creatures being kept in captivity for money. :(

Still at least they got to swim with dolphins. :)
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
  • Options
    istersayistersay Posts: 297
    Forum Member

lmao, good one
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hahaa! Love this. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wise-up wrote: »
    I think the problem is that those places are thought of as cruel as the dolphins/other creatures are held in captivity in an environment that is not natural for them and forced to perform. I am not sure though, I just guessed that was the reason from the ladies statement. I think they don't want children to grow up thinking it is okay. I don't see the problem as long as the animals are well fed and get medical treatment when needed. Then again I am not an animal lover so I don't know a lot about the topic, I focus on human issues.

I agree with the animals being fed correctly but it was naughty of the producers to do it behind Simon's back.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rattie wrote: »
    Erm, what's the big deal about swiming with dolphins? Am I missing something major? How is that cruelty to animals.

Yea, what?! Seems like a bunch of nonsense to me. A news report put out to woo people back to the show.
  • Options
    babyshezbabyshez Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You all need to watch The Cove. Now.
  • Options
    babyshezbabyshez Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rattie wrote: »

Highly intelligent creatures torn from their families (who are most likely slaughtered and falsely sold on as "whale meat", despite it being incredibly toxic due to mercury) are then thrown into a concrete pool forced to perform tricks for dumb human beings. Oh no, there's nothing wrong with that at all.
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the dolphins in captivity are stolen as babies from their families. Each pod has it's own unique communication. Dolphins swim more than 25km a day. They are very sensitive to sound. Being in tiny swimming pool with perpetual noise and echoes literally drives them insane. They are kept hungry so they perform tricks. In the wild they have strong familial bonds with their pods. Keeping such sentient creatures in captivity in tiny pools is cruel.
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babyshez wrote: »
    Highly intelligent creatures torn from their families (who are most likely slaughtered and falsely sold on as "whale meat", despite it being incredibly toxic due to mercury) are then thrown into a concrete pool forced to perform tricks for dumb human beings. Oh no, there's nothing wrong with that at all.
    River_Tam wrote: »
    Most of the dolphins in captivity are stolen as babies from their families. Each pod has it's own unique communication. Dolphins swim more than 25km a day. They are very sensitive to sound. Being in tiny swimming pool with perpetual noise and echoes literally drives them insane. They are kept hungry so they perform tricks. In the wild they have strong familial bonds with their pods. Keeping such sentient creatures in captivity in tiny pools is cruel.

I wasn't aware of all this. Makes sense why people are upset. Why isn't it illegal though?
  • Options
    LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't aware of all this. Makes sense why people are upset. Why isn't it illegal though?

Because it's exaggerated nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because people make money out of it and people need time to realise it is cruel. There are now no longer any dolphins held in captivity in UK. There used to be.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that those places are thought of as cruel as the dolphins/other creatures are held in captivity in an environment that is not natural for them and forced to perform.

So just like X Factor contestants then :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it's exaggerated nonsense.

no it isn't.

It is dolphin hunting season in Taiji you can see for yourself on sea shepherd and cove guardian live stream. http://www.seashepherd.org/

last year I watched the live steam while about 350+ dolphins were kettled into a shallow cove for about 5 days while "trainers" from dolphinariums around the world picked out the babies they would like. Including a rather conspicuous baby albino dolphin. Once those selections were made the rest were hearded into the killing cove and slaughtered "for meat". Why they needed to be held for five days while the pretty babies were picked out doesn't make much sense if this practice is purely for meat.
    A few days later Taiji dolphin centre announced it had a new exhibit. A baby albino dolphin they claimed had been found abandoned at sea all alone, they rescued her.
    No they did not, they stole her and slaughtered her family.
    I watched them.

If you saw the size of the pool she's in you'd weep, Bond villians have bigger fish tanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    So just like X Factor contestants then :p

exactly and even Simon Cowell can understand it is cruel to do that to dolphins!
  • Options
    Guapacha2007Guapacha2007 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good that this has been cut, dolphins shouldn't be kept in captivity like that, they are very intelligent.

However ITV's other successful reality show at this time of year, "I'm a celebrity... get me out of here" seems to feature constant mistreatment of animals, insects and reptiles, so surely if they can cut animal cruelty out of Xtra Factor, they should not include it in I'm a celeb either.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good that this has been cut, dolphins shouldn't be kept in captivity like that, they are very intelligent.

However ITV's other successful reality show at this time of year, "I'm a celebrity... get me out of here" seems to feature constant mistreatment of animals, insects and reptiles, so surely if they can cut animal cruelty out of Xtra Factor, they should not include it in I'm a celeb either.

Insects and reptiles are both animals ;-)