No dance off this week?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wonder whether there's a chance the Beeb will use this week as a 'showcase' week and not have an elimination? They're using 2 new dances, never before seen on Strictly, and not all of the dancers have completed the usual set of dances yet. Perhaps this has been shoe-horned in as a bye week so that we can still have a 3 person final?

Pure speculation - don't shout at me! It's just an idea that popped into my head when I was in the shower. (That's where I do my best thinking).;)

Comments

• quislingquisling Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't shout at you for pinching my idea!!
    What I think they should do (and perhaps they've had this idea too) is whet our appetite for the programme by giving the dancers a couple of new dances to try out (rock'n'roll and charlston) and then - but only after the performances - tell us that we're not going to get a vote this week in order to keep the three couple final.

Simples!!
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1169647

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quisling wrote: »
    I won't shout at you for pinching my idea!!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1169647

Sorry - I did a quick trawl through to see whether anyone else had already thought of this and didn't see that!

:o

Merge away, mods.

:(
  • durnovariandurnovarian Posts: 1,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered that too. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere (BBC site? If not, a thread here quoting the BBC!), before the series even started, that the producers had 'contingency plans' to ensure a 3-way final even if someone dropped out.

To my mind, to do that they've got 3 options - bring the final forward a week, bring someone back, or have a 'no elimination' week.

The first one would cause all sorts of grief for the schedulers, not to mention the listings magazines which have probably already gone to press, so seems unlikely.

They will probably be wary of the second - remember the uproar when C4 reinstated contestants on BB a few years ago?

That leaves the third option which seems the most straightforward to me anyway (but who knows how the producers' minds work!) - and if so, this week seems plausible for the reasons mentioned by the OP.

Here's hoping!
  • quislingquisling Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see there's another forummer who thinks it's a good idea though, it feels like the obvious thing to do to avoid another two couple final.

We ought to work for the BBC!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would certainly explain why Laila feels it's okay to spend three days in Morocco this week.

And equally of course the lack of angst-ridden twitters about the two unknown dances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tonydancer wrote: »
    That would certainly explain why Laila feels it's okay to spend three days in Morocco this week.

Hmmmm - (Apricot adjusts tonydancer's deerstalker and stuffs his pipe:Dsorry:o) - you could be on to something Sherlock...
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've been shouting for this since Jimmy Tarbuck dropped out of Series 4, so I hope the BBC does take a leaf out of the DTWS book on this and scrap the dance off this week, but roll all the scores forward to the next week.

Still going through the 'Moment of Truth' bit tells us who is the weakest two couples going into the following week and really adds to the excitement the next week, wondering if those two bottom couples have done enough to climb out of that spot after dancing in the second show - brilliant!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Curiouser and curiouser.....
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's a good chance there will be no elimination this week. I just hope they announce it at the start of the show and don't spin the public along and then do a shock "nobody is going home this week" at the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yenston wrote: »
    I think there's a good chance there will be no elimination this week. I just hope they announce it at the start of the show and don't spin the public along and then do a shock "nobody is going home this week" at the end.

Sadly, we all know that's probably what would happen, in the same way that the slebs on IACGMOOH don't find out who's doing a trial until 'after the break', or the last two couples on DOI have to endure the 3 minute ad break before finding out who leaves.

:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why do you hope this? "Because it's honest"?

Announcement at the start -> people switch away in droves the first time there's a less than stunning dance.

Announcement at the end -> Dramatic moments, competitors and pros fall into each others arms as at the end of last year's semi (some with more gusto than others). tonydancer comes on here to say I told you so and wind up the "Disgusted of..." faction.

I far prefer that option! :D:D:D:D
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't Claudia have mentioned it on ITT though? I'd like this to happen but it'll probably just go on as normal, unfortunately.
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you hope this? "Because it's honest"?

Announcement at the start -> people switch away in droves the first time there's a less than stunning dance.

Announcement at the end -> Dramatic moments, competitors and pros fall into each others arms as at the end of last year's semi (some with more gusto than others). tonydancer comes on here to say I told you so and wind up the "Disgusted of..." faction.

I far prefer that option! :D:D:D:D

God, no I hated that last year. It was so obvious that was going to happen. I hate things that are contrived and fake. And also they will HAVE to tell the audience at the start of the show if they are going to ask them to still vote.
  • Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I wonder whether there's a chance the Beeb will use this week as a 'showcase' week and not have an elimination? They're using 2 new dances, never before seen on Strictly, and not all of the dancers have completed the usual set of dances yet. Perhaps this has been shoe-horned in as a bye week so that we can still have a 3 person final?

Pure speculation - don't shout at me! It's just an idea that popped into my head when I was in the shower. (That's where I do my best thinking).;)
    Wouldn't Claudia have mentioned it on ITT though? I'd like this to happen but it'll probably just go on as normal, unfortunately.

My ears pricked up last night on ITT when Karen twice used the word showcase and another time stopped herself and changed it to A Smooth - makes me think she was involved in conversations about it that day and it was still on her mind.

*Hmmm - very interesting ( a la Rowan & Martin - Jeez, that's an age giveaway if ever there was one :D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonnie96 wrote: »
    My ears pricked up last night on ITT when Karen twice used the word showcase and another time stopped herself and changed it to A Smooth - makes me think she was involved in conversations about it that day and it was still on her mind.

*Hmmm - very interesting ( a la Rowan & Martin - Jeez, that's an age giveaway if ever there was one :D)

I just thought she was getting mixed up between the show dance (where she recommends big lifts) and the AS (where she doesn't), but I do like the 'Beeb conspiricy' edge that your idea has to it.;):D

No idea who Rowan and Martin are, sorry!:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, no I hated that last year. It was so obvious that was going to happen. I hate things that are contrived and fake. And also they will HAVE to tell the audience at the start of the show if they are going to ask them to still vote.

I don't follow what you mean.:confused:

At the start of the show last year nobody knew that all three couples would go through to the finals. It was only after the tie between Lisa and Rachel following the judges' scores that the problem cropped up that resulted in all three couples going through.

Not sure about that. I think Karen got confused and accidentally used the word 'showcase' instead of 'AS' the second time because she had said earlier that the R&N's lift was normally used in the showcase dance - that's all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just thought she was getting mixed up between the show dance (where she recommends big lifts) and the AS (where she doesn't), but I do like the 'Beeb conspiricy' edge that your idea has to it.;):D

SNAP!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be a good idea! Especially as we've got two new dances and you could argue they are unfair on the pros who haven't done them before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, I do. But only because I'm (ahem! ahem!) a student of ancient TV shows on dodgy satellite channels. Hoping to pluck that cheque out of Tarrant's hand one day, don't ye know!

(Wanders off stuffing hanky into mouth)
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gosh, I didn't know the number after your name was your actual age! :D:D

Just kidding! :p

I sooo hope you're right! I really want a 3 couple final, as it would mean someone I like will be in the final. Whether it's Chris (my favourite!!!!), Natalie or Laila.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy enough to work out what will happen.

Just think, "what's best for the ratings?"

"Simples"

No one to go out this week, we won't know 'til the last minute and there'll be a "dramatic pause" and "boom, boom," music, before the announcement.

Will they have the nerve to announce it after the dance off, as they will need to fill the time.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just reminiscing of the days where there were no dance offs - period.

From a selfish point of view, I reckon I could have had my dream final this year if that was the case!
  • Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Gosh, I didn't know the number after your name was your actual age! :D:D

Just kidding! :p

I sooo hope you're right! I really want a 3 couple final, as it would mean someone I like will be in the final. Whether it's Chris (my favourite!!!!), Natalie or Laila.

Oh - you've cut me to the quick there ;)

As an afterthought, can I just confirm it's not the case and it's not for 1896 either? :o:D

They were American comedians who hosted "The Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" in the late 60s.
    It gave Goldie Hawn her big break amongst others.
    Arte Johnson was the guy whose catchphrase, usually while in hiding behind a plant etc as a spoof German spy (pre PC days :rolleyes:) was "Very interesting.......but stupid".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bonnie. That explains why I have no idea who they are then!

For me a Jade, Ricky and Ali final would have been wonderful (I know there are plenty who'd disagree) but I'd happily see Chris there instead of Jade now that she's had to withdraw. As long as we get a 3 person final!

Please Beeb, please!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I'm just reminiscing of the days where there were no dance offs - period.

From a selfish point of view, I reckon I could have had my dream final this year if that was the case!

:D:D:D

I'll just settle for a 3 couple final!:D:D:D