The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    eterry21 wrote: »
    Must been 5's best Saturday in a while, and it good to see in the face of competition from left right and centre ( lets dance/ takeaway...) what was their average prime time share do you know??
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    SNT propped up an ailing ITV last night, does anyone know the channels peak time shares?

Primetime shares (19:00-23:00):
    BBC One - 22.25%
    BBC Two - 5.1% (BBC HD: 0.13%)
    ITV - 20.8% (inc +1: 22.4%)
    Channel 4 - 4.1% (inc +1: 5.1%)
    Channel 5 - 4.8% (inc +1: 5.0%)
    Others: 42.95% (exc +1s for ITV/C4/C5: 40.15%)
    [ITV2: 2.4% inc +1]
    [ITV3: 3.6% inc +1]

Jonathan Ross dragged down ITV's share majorly with his 14.3% (15.3% inc +1).

All-day shares (06:00-26:00)
    BBC One - 25.2%
    BBC Two - 4.3% (BBC HD: 0.19%)
    ITV - 12.3% (inc +1: 13.4%)
    Channel 4 - 4.0% (inc +1: 4.8%)
    Channel 5 - 3.9% (inc +1: 4.25%)
    Others: 50.3% (exc +1s for ITV/C4/C5: 48.05%)
    [ITV2: 3.5% inc +1]
    [ITV3: 3.1% inc +1]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Primetime shares:
    BBC One - 22.25%
    BBC Two - 5.1% (BBC HD: 0.13%)
    ITV - 20.8% (inc +1: 22.4%)
    Channel 4 - 4.1% (inc +1: 5.1%)
    Channel 5 - 4.8% (inc +1: 5.0%)
    Others: 42.95% (exc +1s for ITV/C4/C5: 40.15%)
    [ITV2: 2.4% inc +1]
    [ITV3: 3.6% inc +1]

Jonathan Ross dragged down ITV's share majorly with his 14.3% (15.3% inc +1).

All-day shares:
    BBC One - 25.2%
    BBC Two - 4.3% (BBC HD: 0.19%)
    Channel 4 - 4.0% (inc +1: 4.8%)
    Channel 5 - 3.9% (inc +1: 4.25%)
    Others: 50.3% (exc +1s for ITV/C4/C5: 48.05%)
    [ITV2: 3.5% inc +1]
    [ITV3: 3.1% inc +1]

Thanks for this. Channel 5 beat Channel 4 if you exclude +1 which I'm happy about! Even in the all day shares, it came close to winning excluding +1 again. Looking good.

What were the ratings for C4's individual programmes?
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I think your post explains why ITV got it so cheaply last time. But the point is next time may be different. Suppose, hypothetically BT outbid Sky for all its CL rights. In that situation I can't imagine Sky letting ITV continue to keep the EL for peanuts.

Or alternatively if BT doesn't want to spend a huge amount challenging Sky for the CL, the EL is there as a good second prize for incredibly good value.

I dunno, though, I don't think it'll be a priority for either pay channel. If Sky lose the CL that's going to look pathetic being reduced to the Europa League. And of course BT and Sky have live Premier League games and I'm sure Liverpool or Chelsea vs whoever in the Premier League would probably get higher ratings than, as if often the case in the Europa League, Liverpool Reserves or Chelsea Reserves vs someone you've never heard of. They'll have enough matches involving the Europa League teams. Different for a free channel as they take every opportunity they can get to show live football.
    MinxyRach7 wrote: »
    I'm watching but it's very meh so far. Would have preferred to see them try something new/different. :o

Well, I enjoyed Takeaway, a million times more than I did Push the Button because I want to see Ant and Dec, not some irritating members of the public I don't know getting in the way. I thought it was a decent revival, without relying too much on nostalgia for the original run and boring new viewers (though Dec clearly has the Win The Ads rules stuck in his head given his reference to "ITV1"). The product placement I found quite remarkable but at least they seem to have toned down the excessive ITV cross-promotion which at times - their Christmas show was a great example - was outrageous.

I also enjoyed the return of my favourite bit, where Dec asks if they'd seen the ITV show the ads are coming from, and the contestant says "no". Every single time.
    SouthCity wrote: »
    There is no contractual obligation. Scotland v France was shown on BBC2 last year.

Yes, and I'm certain that France vs Scotland will be on BBC2, there's virtually no chance of them showing it on BBC1. The only time they'd do that if it was France vs England, which is not because they're a bunch of Sassenachs at the Beeb who hate Scotland but because it's obviously a much bigger match. Scotland were never going to do anything.
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You are right about ITV snatching Ant and Dec. They did it back in 2002 when they were fronting Friends Like These and recognised their potential.

They didn't snatch them. though, in 2000 they were doing SMTV for ITV and Friends Like These for the Beeb and both channels offered them exclusive contracts. The reason they went for ITV is because they enjoyed doing SMTV so much and also they wanted to do a live Saturday night show which the Beeb were prepared to give them but would rather they did more Friends Like These first, whereas ITV would let them do it there and then, though that is a given they didn't have any other format for them at the time. It worked out for them but of course Slap Bang was a complete disaster and was thrashed by Friends Like These so initially you could argue the Beeb were right.
    iaindb wrote: »
    BBC tried a NHP / SNT format with Johnny Vaughan and Denise Van Outen which didn't do too good. This may have put them off trying another. Although perhaps last night's performance of Takeaway will make them think again. Fancy a revival, Noel?:D

Didn't work for Totally Saturday, did it, although both that and Johnny and Denise had items which could have fallen straight out of Takeaway and had they been on Takeaway they'd probably have done just as well. However Johnny Vaughan is always going to be an acquired taste and to package him as a primetime entertainer was always going to be a risk.

Similarly Totally Saturday had similar items to Takeaway but had a complete lack of confidence. When they invited members of the audience to dress up, Graham seemed embarrassed asking them and the contestants seemed embarrassed having to do it, and so you felt embarrassed watching them. They weren't confident enough in the format, unlike Ant and Dec.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Also not factoring in the stv impact, but it's a nice stir on what must be a disappointing day
    All-day shares:
    BBC One - 25.2%

Not really a disappointing day, just a disappointing slot.:p;)
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Confirmed start date of 4th March for Comic Relief Does Glee Club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight at 6.05pm on BBC1, Deadly 60 On A Mission. (New series. 1 of 8.)

Is this a CBBC programme in a primetime slot on BBC1? Interesting scheduling. Wonder how it'll do in the ratings. The Penguin repeat preceding it at 5pm rated 3m last Sunday.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this a CBBC programme in a primetime slot on BBC1? Interesting scheduling. Wonder how it'll do in the ratings. The Penguin repeat preceding it at 5pm rated 3m last Sunday.

The first series was in February 2011 in a Friday, 19:30 slot, if I recall it had ~3m.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Also not factoring in the stv impact, but it's a nice stir on what must be a disappointing day

It's come to something when you're saying its a disappointing day for BBC1 when it has a 25% share :eek:. If that's disappointing, ITV's 12% share must be utterly disastrous?!
    Forum Member

Maybe they've reworked it for a primetime audience. In all fairness it would provide decent promotion for the show on CBBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people are talking about the France v Scotland six nations game being moved to BBC2. As things stand, Scotland could still be playing for the title in that game (says the over-optimistic patriotic Scot.:D)

Seriously, the BBC won't know for certain that the France Scotland game will be a dead rubber when they draw up the schedule for the 16th of March so they won't be able to put the game on BBC2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, the BBC won't know for certain that the France Scotland game will be a dead rubber when they draw up the schedule for the 16th of March so they won't be able to put the game on BBC2.

I think they will, because it doesn't matter if they win the title on BBC2 anyway.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    What seems extraordinary about last night's ratings is that England rugby internationals on BBC1 now seem to be out rating England football internationals on ITV :eek:.

How on earth has that happened? Football is by far the more popular sport?! :confused:

I'm no rugby expert, but isn't the Six Nations more high profile in the world of rugby than the Qualifiers and Friendlies that ITV are showing in football.

The rugby ratings are still way down on what World Cup & Euros matches get on BBC1/ITV1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I can think of one who as soon as you say anything slightly critical of ITV goes off on one. It's only a not very good television station, after all, and for all I do praise some of what they do, I will comment if some tripe like Red or Black fails, same as when the BBC make a mistake.

There are many people here where if you say anything remotely positive about ITV, they are on hand to quote a list of reasons why the rating is in fact negative.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They didn't snatch them. though, in 2000 they were doing SMTV for ITV and Friends Like These for the Beeb and both channels offered them exclusive contracts. The reason they went for ITV is because they enjoyed doing SMTV so much and also they wanted to do a live Saturday night show which the Beeb were prepared to give them but would rather they did more Friends Like These first, whereas ITV would let them do it there and then, though that is a given they didn't have any other format for them at the time. It worked out for them but of course Slap Bang was a complete disaster and was thrashed by Friends Like These so initially you could argue the Beeb

Slap Bang was essentially SMTV in the evening, I think they carried over a segment from it but ITV did have faith in them to try another format because I imagine a commissioner would understandably be nervous to try again, look at how formats Graham Norton did before they found the ALW shows plus the chatshow and his radio show. I'm surprised theyve not asked Graham to do another Saturday night format but I guess they're happy with his current duties,

Tonight's the Night with John Barrowman did okay but I think with him on Arrow, there's not going be another series, I liked the format but Barrowman as a presenter was a little OTT for my liking,
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    There are many people here where if you say anything remotely positive about ITV, they are on hand to quote a list of reasons why the rating is in fact negative.

Might some people on here actually work for these broadcasters? I tend to promote good ratings wherever they come from.
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I enjoyed Takeaway, a million times more than I did Push the Button because I want to see Ant and Dec, not some irritating members of the public I don't know getting in the way. I thought it was a decent revival, without relying too much on nostalgia for the original run and boring new viewers (though Dec clearly has the Win The Ads rules stuck in his head given his reference to "ITV1"). The product placement I found quite remarkable but at least they seem to have toned down the excessive ITV cross-promotion which at times - their Christmas show was a great example - was outrageous.

Too much on nostalgia?? Undercover is back, Little Ant and Dec recast, What's Next has returned (albeit in the guise of Ant vs Dec: Into the Unknown). The 4-year break was meant to be to create new ideas, but they have just rehashed the old ones.
    • Twitter 'opener' was slow and lacked humour.
    • Little Ant and Dec sketch was ok, but the ahh... factor died after about 20secs. Seemed a little 'Comic Relief' like.
    • Ant vs Dec has basically turned into What's Next. Ashley Roberts was ok, but she's no Kirsty Gallacher. Tyldesley was ok, even at times witty.
    • 'Get out of my Ear' with Louis Walsh was very funny. A little like Impractical Jokers though (a coincidence, surely, that they share a producer?!).
    • Super-Computer nicked from Celebrity Juice. Seems like an ok idea. Obviously it will be like a hidden camera/public participation style segment. Not quite Jiggy Bank though.
    • Win the Ads seemed a little better than in the original. Should've been the thing to close the show with though. Product Placement was ok, although no PP logo featured at any point during the show.
    • End performance was (pardon the pun) damp. Copy of a BGT performance in 2008.
    All of this begs the question, why did they take a 4-year break? With very little 'new' ideas, and some even nicked, there really was no need for the break. I love SNT, but I came away disappointed last night. Didn't feel the same, and it all felt a little lacklustre. Watching it back today, I still feel the same. I really hope it picks up next week, although I feel I will get bored pretty quickly.

For the record, I thought the first series of Push the Button was excellent. The variety of games was great, the concept was well executed and the families were not as bad as you make out Steve. The second series was basically lots of pre-recorded stuff, the same games over & over and the chance to win the money back (defeating the whole purpose of the show). If they took the first series, broadcast it live and added a music performance into it; it would have worked very well.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    The first series was in February 2011 in a Friday, 19:30 slot, if I recall it had ~3m.

Deadly 60 on a Mission, BBC One
    Overnight ratings

Special
    Fri 25/02/11, 19:30: 3.09m (14.1%)

Series 1
    Ep 1 - Sun 07/08/11, 18:00: 3.03m (17.7%)
    Ep 2 - Sun 14/08/11, 18:05: 2.36m (14.8%)
    Ep 3 - Sun 21/08/11, 18:00: 2.01m (12.7%)
    Ep 4 - Sun 28/08/11, 18:05: 2.68m (15.5%)
    Ep 5 - Sun 04/09/11, 18:00: 2.43m (14.0%)
    Ep 6 - Sun 25/09/11, 16:00: 1.36m (10.6%)
    Forum Member
    Deadly 60 on a Mission, BBC One
    Overnight ratings

Special
    Fri 25/02/11, 19:30: 3.09m (14.1%)

Series 1
    Ep 1 - Sun 07/08/11, 18:00: 3.03m (17.7%)
    Ep 2 - Sun 14/08/11, 18:05: 2.36m (14.8%)
    Ep 3 - Sun 21/08/11, 18:00: 2.01m (12.7%)
    Ep 4 - Sun 28/08/11, 18:05: 2.68m (15.5%)
    Ep 5 - Sun 04/09/11, 18:00: 2.43m (14.0%)
    Ep 6 - Sun 25/09/11, 16:00: 1.36m (10.6%)

Most of those actually did better than Secret Service was doing in that slot a couple of weeks ago, and On a Mission was in the summer.
  • rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't.

How boring, another +1 debate. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's a great start for Takeaway. It was a really good show too so I think it might hold around the 7m mark. Could possibly be a bit of a worry for The Voice when that returns and whoever it was that said that Doctor Who would be trouncing it appears to be quite wide of the mark.

if the bbc,s revamped (the voice) flops again after a strong start guess the bbc would not be able to justify spending another 22 million on a new contract as the two year one to screen it runs out this year. would itv or channel 5 or even sky want it if the bbc revamp flops???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rivkin wrote: »
    if the bbc,s revamped (the voice) flops again after a strong start guess the bbc would not be able to justify spending another 22 million on a new contract as the two year one to screen it runs out this year. would itv or channel 5 or even sky want it if the bbc revamp flops???

Doubt Channel 5 could afford to screen the show going by that cost...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    Too much on nostalgia?? Undercover is back, Little Ant and Dec recast, What's Next has returned (albeit in the guise of Ant vs Dec: Into the Unknown). The 4-year break was meant to be to create new ideas, but they have just rehashed the old ones.

It's a perfectly good way of doing business if you ask me.

A show is getting stale and everyone says it needs axing. So stop doing it, then everyone says their replacements are not as good, demanding they bring back SNT, a few years later bring it back and everyone loves it again.

Noel's House Party could have lasted much longer if they'd done the same.

Also lots of the features were from the early series of takeaway, so they've been away longer than the series has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Slap Bang was essentially SMTV in the evening, I think they carried over a segment from it but ITV did have faith in them to try another format because I imagine a commissioner would understandably be nervous to try again, look at how formats Graham Norton did before they found the ALW shows plus the chatshow and his radio show.

Yeah, they had Challenge Ant in Slap Bang and also Chuns was rehashed as Beers but it never worked because if you watched SMTV, they did the features better on that, and if you didn't watch SMTV, you didn't know what the hell it was. And they admit now that there simply wasn't a format to it. It was simply a question of transplanting them to primetime without thinking about what the new audience would make of it. It was Pop Idol that endeared them to the primetime audience and allowed them to have another crack with Takeaway.

The thing about Graham Norton is that when he moved he said he wanted to try new things and go into the mainstream, which he wouldn't have been able to do on Channel Four, though in the end what we've got is what he was doing on Channel Four. But clearly that's a format he likes, and what people like to see him doing. I suppose seeing Graham Norton doing primetime entertainment is like Ant and Dec doing a quiz, they can do it but it's better to see them in a looser format where they can mess around.
    jda135 wrote: »
    Too much on nostalgia?? Undercover is back, Little Ant and Dec recast, What's Next has returned (albeit in the guise of Ant vs Dec: Into the Unknown).

If they took the first series, broadcast it live and added a music performance into it; it would have worked very well.

Oh, I dunno, I'm afraid I really didn't like Push The Button and I'm not sure if the addition of music woulod have helped out because that would surely have confused the format more - was it a game show or a light entertainment show? The bit I liked on Push the Button were the Wonkey Donkey-style games that allowed them to mess about, but they were few and far between. I think it was too rigid a format.

And I don't think Takeaway this time was trading too much on the old format, to the extent it would make no sense if you'd not seen it before. Something like Ant vs Dec is good because you can do absolutely anything under the banner (although I wish they wouldn't do so many stunts like that, I always worry they're going to die). I never thought things like the Jiggy Bank were that good, it may have been fun if you were playing it but it never worked on screen. If you get too far into game show territory with all its terms and conditions then you constrict Ant and Dec too much.

I know the opening game was a bit rubbish, but they'll hopefully get better. The other point I was going to make it that while the last series was on later, I think 7pm is the perfect time for it. In the past it's started after eight o'clock. which is ridiculous, it's a family show.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    It's a perfectly good way of doing business if you ask me.

A show is getting stale and everyone says it needs axing. So stop doing it, then everyone says their replacements are not as good, demanding they bring back SNT, a few years later bring it back and everyone loves it again.

Noel's House Party could have lasted much longer if they'd done the same.

Also lots of the features were from the early series of takeaway, so they've been away longer than the series has.

My feeling is with DOND sinking in the ratings and Noel bringing in LE elements to it that he could be back hosting Saturday night shows again. I did hear he was in talks with the BBC last year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they will, because it doesn't matter if they win the title on BBC2 anyway.

I think it would matter to the six nations authorities.

And it doesn't make sense to show all of this tournament on BBC1 then dump the very last game on BBC2. Because even without France having a disastrous season, there's still a risk the title is won before that final match is played (particularly with the England France clash being at Twickenham this year)

Scotland v France was on BBC2 last year because it clashed with the League Cup Final.
  • JackkJackk Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I preferred the second series of Push The Button because it was live and I quite liked The Accumulator game (I think that's what it was called), but they ruined the DAVE game at the end.

Takeaway's their best show though. I hope if this series is successful they commission another one for the autumn this year. Could run it alongside the early stages of X Factor from the end of August till the start of October, giving them enough of a break either side of the series between BGT and IAC. Saturday Night Takeaway followed by X Factor and then Jonathan Ross. Not a bad line-up for ITV.
This discussion has been closed.