Panorama: America's gun addiction

Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure why we need a programme about something that doesn't even concern us.

It's America's problem not ours.

Comments

• SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    You might as well say that about wildlife programmes filmed in Africa - we don't have lions and elephants, why would we care.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but Panorama generally cover stories related to Britain.

US guns laws have nothing to do with us, and I don't know why our media seem so wrapped up with sticking their noses into all things American?

I just think it's an odd one for Panorama to be dealing with.
  • SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    It's a big thing in the US at the moment, small kids are being suspended from school because they're talking or even joking about guns. It's turning a bit hysterical out there, according to the press but how much of this hysteria is being propagated by the press themselves?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »

US guns laws have nothing to do with us, and I don't know why our media seem so wrapped up with sticking their noses into all things American?

Ever heard the saying, "America sneezes, England catches a cold?"

In case you hadn't noticed, it's a sad fact that America is bleeding into this country. The way people talk and act is more and more influenced by our friends across the pond.

It's an issue we should be worried about as much as them.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crowby1 wrote: »
    No we shouldn't. Our gun laws are far, far stricter than the in the US and we simply don't have the gun saturation in society that they do.
  • SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member

In case you hadn't noticed America is bleeding into this country. The way people talk and act is more and more influenced by our friends across the pond.

If you want to check out the whole stories and mentality behind all of this, you want to educate yourself on the American constitution. Partly we've also been dragged into it because that idiot Piers Morgan got himself entangled in an interview with a bloke called Alex Jones on CNN, who reports on err... alternative media and is a proponent of Americans keeping their guns. The gun debate will be a huge thing in the US and they're only just gearing up to it. They're looking to ban something that was enshrined in the constitution and a lot Americans don't take kindly to that.

They think we're a bunch of sissies for giving up our right to bear arms which happened in the 1920s I believe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Not really, they tend to report on worldwide events/incidents, whether in America, Libya or Syria.
    They do report on British-based issues but it looks like programmes such as Inside Out are covering this bit.
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Agree its program makers out of touch with Britain. Program makers seems to have a hard on for America.

Dont really care about gun ownership in a country far away, maybe next week they should do the gun ownership problem in Afghanistan, Yemen, Iraq.

Let guntards kill other guntards and give them all the guns they want I say.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member

In case you hadn't noticed, it's a sad fact that America is bleeding into this country. The way people talk and act is more and more influenced by our friends across the pond.

You cannot just walk into a shop and buy a gun here like you can in the U.S. There is nothing for us to 'catch'.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    most of the fire-arms from the states, are smuggled into the UK.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just the latest in a long line of "let's sneer at the Yanks" programmes.

Expect to see lots of redkneck Texans talking about their devotion to God and guns. Oh, and you can bet your life that they'll be fat and drive SUVs, too. Because, you know, those Yanks are greedy and stupid and lazy, and are ruining the world for the rest of us. And lots of them are right wing!

Of course, here in the land of Jeremy Kyle, horsemeat sausage rolls, Poundland, Wonga, chavs and ASBOs, we know how to do things properly.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most of them are, are they? So most guns sold in the States are smuggled into the UK? Unlikely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    As this country is obessed with all things american, I am not suprised :rolleyes:.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB makes a welcome change......usually it's the other way round!

"Our friends"! :D:D

I agree with your sentiments though. The 'Americanisation' of the UK.

Spot on "Dude". :rolleyes: Ooops...."my bad". :rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would have thought that Eastern Europe, the Balkans, Iraq, North Africa are the most likely places where guns are smuggled in from.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't say I've noticed this in my day-to-day life. :rolleyes:

Some people on here are just as obsessed about 'America bleeding into the UK' as those who are obsessed with immigrants coming over - even the hard working ones - and I know which is the more silly fear, ie yours.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How can that be possible?
    If that were the case then the UK would have more firearms in circulation amongst the population than the US has.
    Surely that's not what you could have meant?
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    Bushmills wrote: »
    It's just the latest in a long line of "let's sneer at the Yanks" programmes.

Expect to see lots of redkneck Texans talking about their devotion to God and guns. Oh, and you can bet your life that they'll be fat and drive SUVs, too. Because, you know, those Yanks are greedy and stupid and lazy, and are ruining the world for the rest of us. And lots of them are right wing!

Of course, here in the land of Jeremy Kyle, horsemeat sausage rolls, Poundland, Wonga, chavs and ASBOs, we know how to do things properly.

I suspect you are right. I can't remember the last time Panomara did an episode on nothing to do with the UK.

These sort of foreign story reporting are usually done (and pretty well too) on Newsnight and Unreproted World.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

pericom wrote: »
    Agree its program makers out of touch with Britain. Program makers seems to have a hard on for America.

Dont really care about gun ownership in a country far away, maybe next week they should do the gun ownership problem in Afghanistan, Yemen, Iraq.

Indeed.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm- likely that he was bullied by pretty much everyone he knew? I remember *reading* about firearms when my school life was hell...
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady - the term is MAGAZINE!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Typical tea party nutjob prophesying the future collapse of American society and potential marshall law. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are these people for real?
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,146
    Forum Member
    America's a funny country.
  • enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    pericom wrote: »

Aren't we the 'little englander'? How about expanding your horizons? You might learn something.

Unfortunately it's not just 'guntards' that are being killed. It's innocent children.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America's a funny country.

Funny ha ha?......