Gatiss:- I am prepared for backlash

garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
Forum Member
Why did he say this.
The photos we have seen look amazing and credit to all concerned,
Why did he say he is prepared for a Backlash.

Comments

• Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're read this message board, right? ;)
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Bradley doesn't look/sound/act anything like Hartnell/the First Doctor!"
    "DAVID WHITAKER FFS"
    "William Russell should have reprised his role as William Russell!"

Choose your poison. :D
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "...and Susan's ankles were just unbelievably robust looking..."
  • VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Why did he say this.

The photos may look amazing, but the script (being by Gatiss) will be dire.

I think the backlash may already have started.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    The photos may look amazing, but the script (being by Gatiss) will be dire.

You don't know that for sure! His work on Sherlock manages to ascend all the way to passable.

EDIT: also, since it hasn't broadcast yet, there's no forward lash. From here only people who say "making a drama about the beginnings of Doctor Who was an awful idea" are taking part in a backlash.

If everyone sees it and the first community reaction is that the script wasn't very good then that's not a backlash.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    You don't know that for sure! His work on Sherlock manages to ascend all the way to passable.

EDIT: also, since it hasn't broadcast yet, there's no forward lash. From here only people who say "making a drama about the beginnings of Doctor Who was an awful idea" are taking part in a backlash.

If everyone sees it and the first community reaction is that the script wasn't very good then that's not a backlash.

I have a lot of time for Mr. Gatiss, but generally I'm underwhelmed by his scripts (to put it mildly). The Hound Of The Baskervilles was great though - I was genuinely surprised when I realised he'd written it.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's just hope there isn't a Timelash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No-one can know the future, but it is reasonable to extrapolate from the known past. Gatiss's previous Doctor Who scripts have been appalling.

Incidentally, I think Sherlock has been unjustly overrated. I am reminded of what Dr Johnson said about the poet Gray: "he was dull in a new way, and that made people think him great" (quoted from memory, but it's the thought that counts). However, that's probably matter for another forum.

Your edit appeared as I was in the middle of typing this. Surely people who say "making a drama about the beginnings of Doctor Who and entrusting the script to Mark Gatiss was an awful idea" are legitimately taking part in a backlash? I don't want to get bogged down in semantics, though. Let's see what other people say...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your edit appeared as I was in the middle of typing this. Surely people who say "making a drama about the beginnings of Doctor Who and entrusting the script to Mark Gatiss was an awful idea" are legitimately taking part in a backlash? I don't want to get bogged down in semantics, though. Let's see what other people say...

I guess they are — my feeling is that Gatiss is trying to protect himself against judgment of the execution of the idea rather than of the idea itself. If response to the execution is negative he seems to want just to say "yeah, well, you know, there's always a backlash".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess they are — my feeling is that Gatiss is trying to protect himself against judgment of the execution of the idea rather than of the idea itself. If response to the execution is negative he seems to want just to say "yeah, well, you know, there's always a backlash".

It does seem to suggest he lacks confidence in his own product.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree.

If you read the RTD book about scripting Dr Who, it's quite apparent that the creative team can't help 'peeking' online at forums et al.

The sad thing, really, is that the robust creatives can take it all with a pinch of salt, but apparently some (esp new writers) are torched by the whole experience.
  • bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have enjoyed most of the Who episodes that he has scripted. Generally they have been closer to old school Who which is a Good Thing. They also tend to place the emphasis on a creepy sort of fun which is his forte and greatly preferable to soapy angst.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Why did he say this.

I would guess the problem is Hartnell held racist viewpoints, and was not generally fond of gay people either.

AAITAS has a PG rating, so I wouldn't expect it to be dark, but presumably they're going to have to point out William Hartnell had flaws.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No he just knows DW Fans
    "Doctor Who fans exist for the minutiae. They'll complain about everything. They'll probably complain about Verity Lambert's shoes.

Plus as JCR said how Hartnell is portrayed will no doubt bring criticism whatever Gatiss has written.

If there's no (or very little) mention of Hartnells darker side then some people will complain about Gatiss distorting the truth.

On the other hand if he makes a big deal about it other people will complain about him blackening Hartnells name.

To be honest both complaints will probably be made.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are indeed people who think that making this 'drama' is a crap idea. Me, for one. After all, that money could have been used to make actual episodes of Doctor Who in this barren year.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    There are indeed people who think that making this 'drama' is a crap idea. Me, for one. After all, that money could have been used to make actual episodes of Doctor Who in this barren year.

The money for the Docudrama will have come from BBC2's budget so would never have been used for any more episodes of Doctor Who.

If it wasn't being made you may have got an extra episode of Top Gear but not any more DW.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    If it wasn't being made you may have got an extra episode of Top Gear but not any more DW.

Is there any way we could persuade them to make 6–10 Doctor Who docudramas a year?
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    The money for the Docudrama will have come from BBC2's budget so would never have been used for any more episodes of Doctor Who.

Exactly. It bugs me when people think TV budgets are so easily transferable. :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it's more about how the series came about in it's first year than the likeness of used actors to represent the original actors?.

As long as it's factually and visually accurate then that's surely all that matters?. You will never get using any current day actors a true representation of past actors on either a visual or performance front.

At least it was made and should be judged on it's accuracy than anything else.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Let's just hope there isn't a Timelash.

"After watching a Gatiss episode....most people depart with
    a scream!" :D