Win 8 Metro interface - turn-off or disable?

ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it and the metro interface is driving me mad, so any way to disable it, turn it off or remove it?

I've got classic shell running and have a start button, but even so moving the mouse the wrong way or clicking at the wrong time launches an app and the only way back to the desktop is through the metro interface and then launch task manger to kill the app - its pissing me off - I wanted to highlight some text on a web page to copy it and every time I tried holding the left-button and dragging this bloody app launched instead even though there's no shortcut assigned to it.

Cheers

Happened 3 times while I was trying to type this post.

Comments

• wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it can't be disabled.

If you go to settings then 'Change PC Settings', is 'When I swipe in from the left edge, switch to my most recent app' under 'General' enabled? If I'm understanding you correctly, turning that off should stop the app from launching all of the time.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a common problem in W8. Check if there's an option in Classic Shell to disable the charms. If not, or if it doesn't work, then try Googling for:
    disable charms
    disable charm icons
    disable charm bar
    (etc)
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilt wrote: »
    No, it can't be disabled.

If you go to settings then 'Change PC Settings', is 'When I swipe in from the left edge, switch to my most recent app' under 'General' enabled? If I'm understanding you correctly, turning that off should stop the app from launching all of the time.

Cheers, that sorted it.
    John259 wrote: »
    This is a common problem in W8. Check if there's an option in Classic Shell to disable the charms. If not, or if it doesn't work, then try Googling for:
    disable charms
    disable charm icons
    disable charm bar
    (etc)

Cheers, I'll do that.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    This is a common problem in W8. Check if there's an option in Classic Shell to disable the charms.

There is! :D

Glad he sorted the swipe issue too!
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disable charms
    disable charm icons
    disable charm bar
    (etc)

MS should make one, too:

disable moaning about charms
    disable moaning about startscreen
    disable moaning about start button

and a power option

love Windows 8 (current user only/all users) :D
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    MS should make one, too:

disable moaning about charms
    disable moaning about startscreen
    disable moaning about start button

and a power option

love Windows 8 (current user only/all users) :D

You should rename yourself msnbcwatcher
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    You should rename yourself msnbcwatcher

That bad?
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be nice if MS would let people choose if they want a tablet interface on their computer. It would certainly silence all the critics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if MS would let people choose if they want a tablet interface on their computer. It would certainly silence all the critics.

I think they want people to use apps and marketplace, maybe buy something, watch ads, even if only by mistake. That would not be possible if they removed the metro part completely from view.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    I think they want people to use apps and marketplace, maybe buy something, watch ads, even if only by mistake. That would not be possible if they removed the metro part completely from view.

All not having that option does for me (and I suspect many others) is make me more determined not to use Metro OR any Microsoft tablet, and to consider alternative operating systems to Windows in case they disable the Classic Shells of this World. The words foot, in, the, shooting and themselves come to mind, not necessarily in that order.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It would be possible if they created a winforms equivalent of their App Store. Or maybe an official means of running RT apps within a tradition winform (it can be done.. there's already 3rd party software which does just this).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an interesting screenshot in this article with some W8.1 settings

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/24/4461600/windows-8-1-start-button-shut-down-options-hot-corner-controls
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another Win 8 thread. I wonder how many replies this one will get?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being harder to avoid, it is a much bigger issue than IOS maps ever was.
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:yawn:

Why can't people just avoid reading threads they are not interested in? Especially when the subject is obvious from the thread title!
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am more interested in the number of defenders this will get?
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am more interested in the number of defenders this will get?

Because it's wrong to be allowed to like Windows 8? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Metro is like a rapist with a knife, it forces you to embrace it, even if you don't want to.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :yawn:

Why can't people just avoid reading threads they are not interested in?

Oh, I'm still interested in it - more out of amusement though. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running Win 8 and Classic Shell gets rid of 90% of the Metro nastiness - I never see it now that I have uninstalled the (cr)apps.

I set WMP to handle all music, Windows Picture and Fax viewer or whatever it's called for pictures and installed Foxit Reader for PDFs.

I set CS to disable the hot corners and skip the Metro screen etc. I then Googled how to uninstall the crap apps and it was just a couple of lines to enter into the command prompt. I haven't noticed any ill effect from uninstalling them but YMMV...