How many Abba tours were recorded?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Only reason I ask is when I click on youtube seems loads of performances like in Japan but when I search for Live DVDs via amazon I hardly get any results.

Comments

• gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't think any of their tours were filmed in their entirety unfortunately. the performances you speak of are perhaps from the "abba in japan" dvd? there also was an "abba in concert" dvd released with highlights of their 1979 tour which was filmed in wembley, london and also there was concert footage filmed/used in "abba the movie" from the 1977 australian tour.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i don't think any of their tours were filmed in their entirety unfortunately. the performances you speak of are perhaps from the "abba in japan" dvd? there also was an "abba in concert" dvd released with highlights of their 1979 tour which was filmed in wembley, london and also there was concert footage filmed/used in "abba the movie" from the 1977 australian tour.:)

Yeah I searched Amazon and only 3 listings came up. The Japan one, the concert one which is really a documentary and the movie.

Sad really not more footage is about as other band like Queen have aired a few live stuff.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I searched Amazon and only 3 listings came up. The Japan one, the concert one which is really a documentary and the movie.

Sad really not more footage is about as other band like Queen have aired a few live stuff.

yeah, it is sad. i read somewhere touring and live performances wasn't their favourite part of being a pop act. apparently, they found it difficult to recreate the studio sound live and agnetha recently noted that live performances wasn't her strong point.
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only did 3 tours didn't they? And only their third and last was worldwide. The first was European and the second Europe and Australia.

They weren't really that into it, I think Frida was the only one who genuinely enjoyed performing live.

Also they weren't prepared to play second fiddle. Generally you started out you 'touring career' as an opening act for a more seasoned headline act who had established themselves on the circuit. Particularly European acts wanting to tour the US for example. To test the water so to speak as back then there was a much bigger divide between touring acts and studio acts, they were two very different entities.

ABBA would not agree to open, they would only agree to headline and so there was a bit of a stalemate because international promoters were not prepared to invest in a headlining act who had not paid their dues and proved themselves through opening for others and therefore were an unknown quantity.