How much would Sony charge to fix my PS3?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
Forum Member
Hi guys, so my PS3 (40gb "fat") from 2008 has started constantly crashing and giving me the red blinking light, I've hoovered it and let it cool down (it had only been on 15 minutes tonight to so I can't see it being an overheating problem unless the fan is knackered) but to no avail. I'm just wondering how much Sony are likely to charge to fix it if I contact them? Would I be better off just buying a new slim console?

Comments

• ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The repair price is normally half the RRP of one of the models, possibly the lowest capcity model (currently 12GB) which is somewhere between £180 - £190, so you should expect to pay around £90 - £100.

Note that they usually offer a 3 month warranty on a repaired console so I think you'd be better off going for a new model.

If you have the chance, try putting in a different HDD to see if the problems stop. Putting in a different HDD should not interfere with your old one (it doesn't on my 60GB model).
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's 135.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    The repair price is normally half the RRP of one of the models, possibly the lowest capcity model (currently 12GB) which is somewhere between £180 - £190, so you should expect to pay around £90 - £100.

Note that they usually offer a 3 month warranty on a repaired console so I think you'd be better off going for a new model.

If you have the chance, try putting in a different HDD to see if the problems stop. Putting in a different HDD should not interfere with your old one (it doesn't on my 60GB model).

Seconded. Could be your HDD has gone bad.

If not I wouldn't personally pay to repair it! Might as well replace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys, if i just take out the HDD will the console still startup (like the Xbox 360 does if you start it up without the HDD) or would it just not work at all without it?

The problem has become worse since i posted my original post, now it just wont turn on at all. I press the standby button to turn it on, it whirs as if it's turning on and then suddenly clicks off, briefly showing an amber light before switching the the flashing red light.

I have had HDD problems before, for the last few years or so it occasionally wouldn't find the HDD (the yellow light indicator to show that it's reading the HDD wouldn't flash and the console wouldn't load) then i'd have to power off completely and restart it,so i'm hoping it is the HDD. Any way to test if it's the HDD without actually buying a new HDD? If it's the console i'd rather not be left with a HDD that i don't need (i probably wont buy a new PS3 if it's the console, seems a bit pointless this close to the PS4 release, especially considering i've played/completed all of the PS3 games i'm bothered about now...i would have liked to play Beyond, but i'm not spending £140 just to play one game).
  • RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I've hoovered it and let it cool down (it had only been on 15 minutes tonight to so I can't see it being an overheating problem
    You've got the yellow light of death for the most common problem on Fat ps3s. The thermal paste on the BGAs seems to dry up and cause the ps3 to overheat very quickly. It ends up getting so hot that it melts some of the solder and the processor or graphics chip no longer makes full connection to the motherboard.

I had mine reflowed/repaired at my local console repair shop for £50.

It works great now.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    You've got the yellow light of death for the most common problem on Fat ps3s. The thermal paste on the BGAs seems to dry up and cause the ps3 to overheat very quickly. It ends up getting so hot that it melts some of the solder and the processor or graphics chip no longer makes full connection to the motherboard.

I had mine reflowed/repaired at my local console repair shop for £50.

It works great now.

You could be brave and buy thermal paste and do it yourself. Think there's one called Artic cool/Freeze or something that's excellent and cheap.

You'd need to look online for instructional videos though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 6 year old fat 80 YOLD'd yesterday. I suppose that in a way the timing was spot on - just Beyond: Two Souls left to play before ownership of the PS4. Would've been nice to finish Puppeteer, though.

The choice now is to pay for repair, buy second-hand or perhaps buy a super slim somewhere down the line.

Thank goodness for the cloud, though. ;)

I just realised how good a media centre the PS3 is - Blu-ray and media streaming..NOOO! :cry: