Options

The Apprentice is now a Different show

PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
Forum Member
✭✭
It seems LS is only now looking for entrepreneurs like Tom and Susan, so the BBC better make that clear to all candidates wanting to apply and not waste their time over 12 weeks.

Comments

• Options
    James TJames T Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I think that has been made clear all along. In fact, what I found surprising was that it WASN'T a different show — it followed very much the usual format until the very last minute. I think may be they need to adjust the tasks more to fit with the final prize.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Well they should probably rename the show to 'Sugar's enterpreneur' or the 'Business planner'.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly believe the show is rigged after this atrocious final.

Really shocked.

I know people keep going on about it but what is the point in the tasks any more and the PM role.

Helen Wins 10 Tasks and Wins 3 times a PM = Winner to me

Tom Loses 8 Tasks and constantly avoids the PM role until he is forced on Week 8 and Fails = Loser.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »

Really shocked.

I know people keep going on about it but what is the point in the tasks any more and the PM role.

Tom Loses 8 Tasks and constantly avoids the PM role until he is forced on Week 8 and Fails = Loser.

How can it be fixed - the winner is 100% Lord Sugar's choice. He picks the person HE wants - based on what he has seen over the process and their business plan. He gets what he wants - as its his £250k.

Sorry - Tom is an inventor and a creative person. Helen is a great PA - but has never run a business or invented anything.

You might agree that the winner didn't correlate to who did best in the past 11 shows - but Lord Sugar wanted a new entrepeneur and not an apprentice. Helen may be lots of things - but that she isn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Its the end of the apprentice. Dont expect another one next year. Unless the business plans are vetted at the beginning and all are viable to begin with. Meaning LS agrees to go with the winner of the tasks. This wont happen so good by apprentice.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    How can it be fixed - the winner is 100% Lord Sugar's choice. He picks the person HE wants - based on what he has seen over the process and their business plan. He gets what he wants - as its his £250k.

Sorry - Tom is an inventor and a creative person. Helen is a great PA - but has never run a business or invented anything.

You might agree that the winner didn't correlate to who did best in the past 11 shows - but Lord Sugar wanted a new entrepeneur and not an apprentice. Helen may be lots of things - but that she isn't.

Your right. It is his money.

Just really thought Helen had been fab throughout so just guttered she did not win
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    James T wrote: »
    Well, I think that has been made clear all along. In fact, what I found surprising was that it WASN'T a different show — it followed very much the usual format until the very last minute. I think may be they need to adjust the tasks more to fit with the final prize.

I think your spot on there :)
  • Options
    JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was more like Dragons Den last night to be honest. Pitching ideas to a panel. Surprised they got away with it.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »

Really shocked.

But she had NO business plan at all!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbar wrote: »
    Its the end of the apprentice. Dont expect another one next year. Unless the business plans are vetted at the beginning and all are viable to begin with. Meaning LS agrees to go with the winner of the tasks. This wont happen so good by apprentice.

They are taking applications for the next series now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what? It was a more entertaining series than the last one and it was nice to see a different sort of candidate win.

I don't see why people are so up in arms about the winner. Whenever someone goes out of the process based on something other than pure objective facts, the moaners on here shout 'fix'. Case in point: Glenn's firing when Lord Sugar mentioned that he was an engineer (like Tom in fact).

The tasks are to win a chance at making your pitch to Lord Alan out of 100s of original applicants, just like the tasks in other reality shows which get you 'immunity' from being voted out or whatever. What is wrong with that? In that case it is still a very different show to Dragon's Den where any of the candidates' chances of winning that kind of cash would be slim.

As for the idea that it must be a fix because Lord Alan is a 'product man' or whatever. If someone had come up with a brilliant service sector business plan he would have considered it. Nobody did. End of story.

I think this format is better. The candidates knew when they applied that this was the prize (I know someone who applied for the series). Given the high-pressure nature of the tasks, this is the one thing that genuinely is in their power. Hopefully next year's applicants watched last night and are already putting their business plans with last night's errors and omissions in mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    They are taking applications for the next series now.
    These applicants I am sure will withdraw. Its only today that they found out about what really is involved. If they stay on it can only be for getting a media spot. No one in his right mind can even think of winning just by winning the tasks. What will the tasks be like if they know there is no prize at the end of it. I am sure in the BR they will just be laughing at LS's face all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These applicants I am sure will withdraw. Its only today that they found out about what really is involved. If they stay on it can only be for getting a media spot. No one in his right mind can even think of winning just by winning the tasks. What will the tasks be like if they know there is no prize at the end of it. I am sure in the BR they will just be laughing at LS's face all the time.

Of course those applying wont withdraw!.

You are really having a laugh if you think that the format change will put potential candidates off......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The previous post to mine was posted at the same time as mine. So my question to him/her. How can you expect someone to do well in a task if he has no idea at the end if his business plan will be approved. In other words just if he wins the task means nothing. My answer all along is that all business plans be vetted in advance be LS and only those he accepts should the candidate be allowed to enter. Like this only the tasks will be the decider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course those applying wont withdraw!.

You are really having a laugh if you think that the format change will put potential candidates off......

Please explain! It now seems all along LS wanted Tom. That explains why he never fired him. Being on the show is no different to playing the lottery. Winning a task means nothing for the prize. True if Helen would have a real business plan she may have won. But I am not sure about that either. So please explain for what reason would a candidate go on the show and do his best to win tasks with no prize at the end for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The previous post to mine was posted at the same time as mine. So my question to him/her. How can you expect someone to do well in a task if he has no idea at the end if his business plan will be approved. In other words just if he wins the task means nothing. My answer all along is that all business plans be vetted in advance be LS and only those he accepts should the candidate be allowed to enter. Like this only the tasks will be the decider.

Because then there would be a case to say it is a fix, LS picks 16 business plans but already has a winner in mind? For anyone who thinks it already is a fix I would ask whether they genuinely think LS wanted Tom to win from the start?

The new format is fine. Candidates compete for a chance to pitch to LS. The tasks give LS an impression of who he would like to work with and it all comes together at the end when the last 4 standing get to pitch their idea. Remember it is really just a game show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It now seems all along LS wanted Tom. That explains why he never fired him.

I disagree. Tom called it right on many of the tasks but was ignored. Every time he was in the board room he was not the candidate who deserved to be fired. I'm just glad the ridiculous argument that 'you didn't stop me from making my stupid decision' did not win out this time. Tom was a contender. Unlike so many contestants he did think about profit and loss, he didn't have any egotistical flights of fancy, he played the long game and deserved to survive. With the notable exception of Helen's pitch to La Redoute, he no more lost his tasks than Helen won hers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But surely you must realise that the shows producers decided that leaving the "reveal" of the plans till the end made better TV?.

Lets face it, who thought that Helen a terrific candidate, would come up with such an awful, awful, business plan?.

The whole idea behing this show is to entertain, THAT is why the plans are left till last.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RM83 wrote: »
    Because then there would be a case to say it is a fix, LS picks 16 business plans but already has a winner in mind? For anyone who thinks it already is a fix I would ask whether they genuinely think LS wanted Tom to win from the start?

The new format is fine. Candidates compete for a chance to pitch to LS. The tasks give LS an impression of who he would like to work with and it all comes together at the end when the last 4 standing get to pitch their idea. Remember it is really just a game show.
    I have already said I believe LS did want Tom to win from the start. Why would it be a fix. Just imagine in this series. If all had provided plans which LS had approved of. Then Helen who was the best would have won. What fix is possible. I fail to understand you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But surely you must realise that the shows producers decided that leaving the "reveal" of the plans till the end made better TV?.

Lets face it, who thought that Helen a terrific candidate, would come up with such an awful, awful, business plan?.

The whole idea behing this show is to entertain, THAT is why the plans are left till last.
    If they can get decent candidates to provide this entertainment ok. I cant see that happening or that the huge audience would agree with you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please explain! It now seems all along LS wanted Tom. That explains why he never fired him. Being on the show is no different to playing the lottery. Winning a task means nothing for the prize. True if Helen would have a real business plan she may have won. But I am not sure about that either. So please explain for what reason would a candidate go on the show and do his best to win tasks with no prize at the end for it.

Do not ask me about "why" these people would go on the show, as this is a question you would have to ask the candidates.

And who says that the ones who dont win get no prize?. After all, many of thos from previous series who failed, have gone on to stay in the public eye, and others have used the publicity to boost the career they were in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RM83 wrote: »
    I disagree. Tom called it right on many of the tasks but was ignored. Every time he was in the board room he was not the candidate who deserved to be fired. I'm just glad the ridiculous argument that 'you didn't stop me from making my stupid decision' did not win out this time. Tom was a contender. Unlike so many contestants he did think about profit and loss, he didn't have any egotistical flights of fancy, he played the long game and deserved to survive. With the notable exception of Helen's pitch to La Redoute, he no more lost his tasks than Helen won hers.
    You only say this now after the series and Tom has won. I dont think people on here said it at the time. Tom at the moment his business is losing money. In the past he has lost money and is claiming against a previous employer. He is no businessman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do not ask me about "why" these people would go on the show, as this is a question you would have to ask the candidates.

And who says that the ones who dont win get no prize?. After all, many of thos from previous series who failed, have gone on to stay in the public eye, and others have used the publicity to boost the career they were in.
    Which one of the present candidates would you say would stay in the public eye. None in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they can get decent candidates to provide this entertainment ok. I cant see that happening or that the huge audience would agree with you

If people watch this show, why do they do so?.

Simple really, they want to see people fall on their @rse, thats what they watch for!.

The show has been this way since day one, but if you feel that its not, then that is your right to do so, the rest of us will still enjoy it none the less.