Vegetarian dog food

Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm wondering if anyone's ever fed their dog a vegetarian diet and if so did they see any health benefits? There seems to be a lot of opposing views with regards to this. One side saying that dogs need to eat meat and others saying that unlike cats they don't. Those for, usually cite Bramble, one of the world's oldest dogs, who was fed a vegetarian diet.

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old Benny was a vegetarian, not because I am or because I wanted him to be, he chose it for himself by refusing to eat meat. He had cancer at 6 but the vet always said it was nothing to do with his diet, he over came the odds and lived until he was 13 when he got dementia/Alzheimer's, went blind and then deaf we had to have him PTS. But again the vet thought his diet had nothing to do with any of the ailments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally find it slightly ridiculous to inflict that kind of diet on a dog aside from circumstances such as Molliepops' dog refusing meat. You could make the dog go veggie. But you need to do your research to ensure the dog gets the right vitamins and minerals - this is not the same as what a human needs, but I'm sure you know that.

As an aside, IMO it's a total no no for cats.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I have read about it but personally speaking I believe dogs and cats are meat eaters and should remain so.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    I personally find it slightly ridiculous to inflict that kind of diet on a dog aside from circumstances such as Molliepops' dog refusing meat. You could make the dog go veggie. But you need to do your research to ensure the dog gets the right vitamins and minerals - this is not the same as what a human needs, but I'm sure you know that.

That's the same whether you feed them meat or not. Although as you say dogs needs are different to people's they are still omnivores and a balanced varied diet is best, unlike cats there is nothing special in meat that they must have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I wouldn't do it again unless as I said I had a dog like Benny, we deal with ours very individually and give them what they need and like. Even when feeding meat mine still get a high proportion of veggies because they really seem to enjoy them, if they didn't I wouldn't force them.

One down side for the veggies is the whirl wind that comes with them, often we comment on the fog and have to open a window they are so windy. We laugh about it but some people would find that unacceptable.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you look at the ingredients in so many commercial foods it's probably a far cry to call it 'meat' anyway. My friends in Uganda have raised really healthy dogs on offal and offcuts and bits of veg etc.. They probably dine better than many a pet over here.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs are opportunistic carnivores. Unlike cats who are obligate carnivores, They can survive on a meat free diet but will never thrive on it. Ask a vet. Ask a pet nutritionist. Ask someone who knows what they're talking about and not a random Internet forum.

I'm veggie. I feed my dogs a raw meat diet. They're not vegetarian. Their digestive tract isn't optimised for plant based diets. And the teeth are clearly those of a carnivore. They're not humans. They process food completely differently (take carbs, rice, oats etc. To us it can be nutritious. Dogs convert those to glucose which is why dogs fed a high card diet can have a crazy hour a little after meals because they have a massive dose of sugars) from us and what is healthy for us doesn't automatically make it healthy for them.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/canine-nutrition/dogs-carnivores-omnivores/

http://rawfed.com/myths/omnivores.html

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/vegetarian-diet-dogs-cats?page=1

Given that there are so many options for pets who don't eat meat. I wonder why someone should chose a carnivore for a pet then force them into being an omnivore. It doesn't make sense to me.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make my own dog food in the slow cooker, following an American vets recipe. I know exactly what goes into it and know how healthy it is. I have a Chocolate Lab who always had a smelly bottom, he could clear a room very quickly. Since he's been on this home cooked food there are no smells at all . Result!!
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't eat meat but my dog and two cats do. I'm sure they could survive on a veggie diet if they had to, but since they don't have to...

I do make sure they have good quality food though, I think it pays off in the long run.

I used to feed my dogs on offal (mostly raw) when I had a friend who was a meat inspector in a slaughter house! He used to bring me massive ox hearts, tripe - all sorts and all for free!

Oh, and they were only fed six days a week. One day a week all they got was a couple of dry biscuits (I know - poor things). Much better and more natural, especially on the diet they ate.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with others... they can survive, but many do not do well and develop skin, digestive and behavioural issues.

i am veggie and yet have a freezer full of whole chickens ;-)
  • Percy SugdenPercy Sugden Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Why on earth would you want your dog to be veggie???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would you want your dog to be veggie???

Some dogs simply don't like meat, some may be allergic they are the only real reasons I would do it. But some do through distaste at the idea of feeding meat, or maybe expense of feeding it. My thoughts are as long as the dog is happy and healthy and enjoys it's food then not my place to judge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UOTE=mrsgrumpy49;74952099]When you look at the ingredients in so many commercial foods it's probably a far cry to call it 'meat' anyway. My friends in Uganda have raised really healthy dogs on offal and offcuts and bits of veg etc.. They probably dine better than many a pet over here.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Barkers has 4% meat, the rest is junk off the slaughter house floor. :o Most if not all of the pet food you buy from a supermarket is the same, its just mostly flavoured dust.

You can buy frozen veg nuggets which we use in combination with meat. I would never stop giving my dog meat but some days he just has the veg nuggets with a little gravy.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure there are any health benefits but dogs can live comfortably on a vegetarian diet as long as you are careful they are meeting their nutritional requirement.

As has been noted, cats cannot survive on a vegetarian diet.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you look at the ingredients in so many commercial foods it's probably a far cry to call it 'meat' anyway. My friends in Uganda have raised really healthy dogs on offal and offcuts and bits of veg etc.. They probably dine better than many a pet over here.

My gran bred dogs and was convinced many of today's animal ailments are diet related such as skin disorders, kidney problems, obesity. She couldn't understand why anyone would feed their dog a product containing ash! Her dogs (and some were champions were fed tripe, heart etc)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are important reasons Ash is in dog food http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/dog-food-ash/
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    My gran bred dogs and was convinced many of today's animal ailments are diet related such as skin disorders, kidney problems, obesity. She couldn't understand why anyone would feed their dog a product containing ash! Her dogs (and some were champions were fed tripe, heart etc)

I have the same thinking as your Gran. When I see the ingredients on some dog foods I'm literally amazed that these are classed as dog foods. But sadly the vast majority of people have zero idea what they're putting in their animals. And I'd probably be the same had I not got a dog with stomach and skin issues which lead me to look into and study pet foods.

The one that never fails to astonish me is chappie dry food. Not the wet, I realise the ingredients in the wet are dire but it has been shown to work wonders for some dogs with stomach issues. But the dry literally astounds me.

Chippy dry ingredients.

Cereals (min. 4% Whole Wheat),Derivatives of Vegetable Origin,Meat and Animal Derivatives (min. 4% Chicken),Oils and Fats,Minerals.

Seriously? What is that? Cereals? What cereals? What percentage? What derivatives of what vegetable? What meat? What animal is the meat derived from? What fats? What oils?

The ingredients are so incredibly vague because basically what they do is shove whatever crap is cheapest in it on the day it's being made, an vitamins and minerals to make it complete and sell it for £20 a bag. It's outrageous.

Wheat is known to be a massive allergen to dogs. Some foods (bakers) even contain BHT and BHA which are known cancer causing carcinogens. Why would they out that in a food fed to pets? Sad thing is most pet owners have no idea they're feeding things like that to their pet. It's like feeding your child McDonald's every meal.

I just wish people would do a little research, and learn what their pets need before just grabbing a bag of pedigree off the shelf. But when you have massive marketing campaigns by billion dollar companies you can't really blame them for not doing do because those adverts make you think you're feeding top notch stuff to your pets.