Emma Chawner - the new Jade Goody? (Part 9)

Comments

• tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's only on Bio HD at 3pm in the afternoons, it doesn't seem to be on the normal Bio channel :(

I'm sure Aldo Zilli wants to take one of his pans and whack Phil round the head with it! :D You can see him getting more and more exasperated!
    I remember watching that - Aldo was teaching him how to make his own pasta. Phil was away with the fairies and not paying any attention until it came to the taste test.

I did think perhaps it was a little ambitious, expecting a man who eats Smart Price sausages by the pan-full, to learn how to make home-made pasta from scratch.

It would have been more sensible to teach him how to cook some healthy, low calorie pasta sauces to serve with ready made Tesco Value spaghetti (9p for 500g as the moment). A tomato and basil sauce or a bolognaise made with Quorn are all very low in calories and yummy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    You are so right tenorlady. I don't think Phil would ever go to a market. They should have taught them how to use everyday veg that you can get as Asda and Tesco. They never seem to have veg do they.

They could have shown them how to do Spag bol with turkey mince, tinned toms and wholemeal spag. Or chilli con carne with mince, toms, kidney beans and brown rice - all with a green salad. I used to put frozen sweetcorn, peas, mushrooms and any other veg I had.

My family lived on these sorts of meals when we had no money and to this day my grown up children rarely like chips, potatoes or roast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    LilAud wrote: »
    You are so right tenorlady. I don't think Phil would ever go to a market. They should have taught them how to use everyday veg that you can get as Asda and Tesco. They never seem to have veg do they.

They could have shown them how to do Spag bol with turkey mince, tinned toms and wholemeal spag. Or chilli con carne with mince, toms, kidney beans and brown rice - all with a green salad. I used to put frozen sweetcorn, peas, mushrooms and any other veg I had.

My family lived on these sorts of meals when we had no money and to this day my grown up children rarely like chips, potatoes or roast.

Come on! Have you forgotten the complete mess they made of a simple stir fry? It took two hours and turned out as a casserole full of salt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Loopzilla wrote: »
    Come on! Have you forgotten the complete mess they made of a simple stir fry? It took two hours and turned out as a casserole full of salt.

True, all true:p:p

:D:D:D
  • tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My family lives on those kinds of meals now, we are skint:D

But it's cheap and healthy, and even Phizzle the Chawn could surely manage to boil water for a pan of pasta without too much trouble?

And seeing as they have never even tasted most fruit and vegetables, I would have had them trying something different every day, like fresh corn on the cob, purple sprouting, kale, and all the different exotic fruits like papaya and mango.

They eat crap because they don't know what else is available. Plus it's simple to fry up a shitload of sausages and ready cut chips.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenorlady wrote: »
    My family lives on those kinds of meals now, we are skint:D

But it's cheap and healthy, and even Phizzle the Chawn could surely manage to boil water for a pan of pasta without too much trouble?

And seeing as they have never even tasted most fruit and vegetables, I would have had them trying something different every day, like fresh corn on the cob, purple sprouting, kale, and all the different exotic fruits like papaya and mango.

They eat crap because they don't know what else is available. Plus it's simple to fry up a shitload of sausages and ready cut chips.

You can make a delicious and healthy lentil daal with rice and home-made chapatis for a fraction of the cost, fat and calories of sausages and chips. It's not hard to search for healthy recipes seeing as they are so google-friendly now they can find themselves on DS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    Some of the student recipes online are very simple but inexpensive.
  • mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We eat whatever is on offer at the supermarket. This week I'm doing a stir fry from Waitrose with fresh, raw prawns for a fiver as it's on offer. Good quality, healthy meal for five of us for a pound each. It won't be a soggy stew either. Clever shopping for healthy food isn't hard. This week Waitrose has a third off all fruit and veg as well so that's where I shopped this week. Next week will be somewhere else that has good offers. It's not rocket science and isn't much more than the packet pasta with sauce that Phil admitted they ate in yesterday's show. I don't think it matters how much help and support they get - they'll still live the same way because they can be bothered to change. As for Aud saying they barely had enough for food and only spend £50 a week all the cheese, scones and fresh cream they buy isn't cheap. I think she's off in fantasy land again although she does just repeat what Phil says. He says he don't like peppers because they repeat on him so she doesn't like them either because they repeat on her. She really has no mind of her own. Same with the girls - they are fat because they were bullied at school for being fat?? They are fat because their parents fed them rubbish all their lives but they can't see it because they've been brainwashed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always astounds me that young adults dont know anything about food, nutrition and cooking. Is it because most mothers have to go out to work these days? If so, they should start learning right from nursery school.

I cant ever remember a time when I didn't know how to do simple cooking and baking or knew what healthy foods were, but I suppose the fifties were a time when there was no convenience food. I vaguely remember Vesta(?) bringing out a dried curry, which has had the effect of me loathing even the smell of curry ever since. :o I have never been in an Indian Restaurant in my life, I cant get past the smell. Love Thai and Chinese though.

From the age of 10 my Mum used to hand over the housekeeping money to me one week of the Summer Holidays. I could keep any money I had left over. It was a great way to learn, although I'm not sure the rest of the family enjoyed constant mince and bread and butter pudding. :D I always made sure I ended up with a profit.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they were already in Somerset to join the girls at fat camp for a few days when Emma took ill. But as they're originally from Somerset they wanted to catch up with their old hairdresser mate.

So the reference to the three hour delay was because they kept their his n hers hair appointment rather than rushing to Emma's bedside.

Heinous parents. That's tantamount to mental cruelty.

Thanks for clearing that up Loopzilla :) I was getting very confused! It's my single most abiding memory of the Chawner's - that they chose to have their hair done rather than rush to their daughter's bedside which would have been the vast majority of parents reaction.

Did you notice though that when Director Dan was asking Phil and Aud what they were going to do Phil kept quite quiet until he went on about what he wanted to have done with his hair? Audrey did most of the talking. I'm sure that was done so he could lay the blame at Aud's door afterwards saying "well it was your mother who wanted to ....." and no doubt the girls would swallow that crap like they do everything else he feeds them. WE didn't see him putting up much of a fight to go though did we? Nasty, sneaky man :mad:
    You really couldn't make it up. Howled when Aud said they didn't need to attend the lectures - 'we already know it all'.

Aud comes across at the moment as just as much of a spoilt brat as Emma. The way they spoke about Mike because he, quite rightly, wanted the doctors to sign Emma fit to go back.

Aud really has no intention of changing anything, but oh, what high hopes we had, first time around, that Emma and Sam were going to educate their parents and change their lives.

Sam really struggles with her reading and comprehension and gets fixated on certain foods - as she evidences later on in series 3 when she has a strop about oil. What none of them seem to realise is that no food is 'bad' in moderation and as long as you have plenty of the right stuff, then it is occasionally ok to have treats.

Thanks Mrs D, I have found the next weeks transmissions and have stopped crying:D

BIB: How did I miss that bit? Oh yeah, like she knows trifle is filling and good for you! :D

They really didn't give a stuff though did they? Absolutely zero interest moaning the room was hot, they couldn't hear at the back (why did they sit there then?). Is it any wonder those girls are the way they are with those two as examples?

BIB2: I'm sure I heard the start of her oil fixation yesterday - she was talking about some food (wish I could remember what it was) and saying something along the lines of it being all oily so not good for you.
    tenorlady wrote: »
    I remember watching that - Aldo was teaching him how to make his own pasta. Phil was away with the fairies and not paying any attention until it came to the taste test.

I did think perhaps it was a little ambitious, expecting a man who eats Smart Price sausages by the pan-full, to learn how to make home-made pasta from scratch.

It would have been more sensible to teach him how to cook some healthy, low calorie pasta sauces to serve with ready made Tesco Value spaghetti (9p for 500g as the moment). A tomato and basil sauce or a bolognaise made with Quorn are all very low in calories and yummy.

It was a bit ridiculous wasn't it? How many people can say hand on heart that they routinely make their own pasta never mind the Chawners! I quite like cooking but I draw the line at that but I do make lots of pasta sauces to go with my dried pasta - mind you I use tinned tomatoes instead of fresh so Aldo Zilli might want to hit ME with one of his pans too :D

And I agree, teaching Phil easier, less complicated good healthy food would have been alot more realistic.
    We eat whatever is on offer at the supermarket. This week I'm doing a stir fry from Waitrose with fresh, raw prawns for a fiver as it's on offer. Good quality, healthy meal for five of us for a pound each. It won't be a soggy stew either. Clever shopping for healthy food isn't hard. This week Waitrose has a third off all fruit and veg as well so that's where I shopped this week. Next week will be somewhere else that has good offers. It's not rocket science and isn't much more than the packet pasta with sauce that Phil admitted they ate in yesterday's show. I don't think it matters how much help and support they get - they'll still live the same way because they can be bothered to change. As for Aud saying they barely had enough for food and only spend £50 a week all the cheese, scones and fresh cream they buy isn't cheap. I think she's off in fantasy land again although she does just repeat what Phil says. He says he don't like peppers because they repeat on him so she doesn't like them either because they repeat on her. She really has no mind of her own. Same with the girls - they are fat because they were bullied at school for being fat?? They are fat because their parents fed them rubbish all their lives but they can't see it because they've been brainwashed.

Spot on MrsD. They have no excuse not to shop around because they have laptops to see who has the best offers that week and a car to take them there. Plus of course they have all the free time in the world to do said shopping. No excuse whatsoever.

And it's just occurred to me - how would Aud know how much the weekly shop costs as she never seems to leave her LazyAud nowadays? The others could tell her any old tripe and she'd believe it while they sit out spending money on Tesco breakfasts and hot drinks.

And I distinctly remember Aud saying in the very first episode that she would eat anything that was put in front of her - she obviously forgot about her pretend dislike of peppers when she filmed that scene! I don't believe it, she's like a human dustbin and will literally eat anything put in front of her and like you say, only said peppers because she had to say something and copied Phil!

Anyway - roll of later when I get my daily dose of Chawnerdom!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was just coming to post this :D

Exactly what I thought - it's as though they expect royalties like proper famous people :D

It is rather boring with no updates from Phil.

BIB: Phil wants to be careful. If he doesn't give his adoring public some entertainment his 'friends' will drop like flies! He's going to have to weigh up the situation - keep saying nothing so those nasty people on DS (who have kept their name in the spotlight long after it should have died out) can't copy and paste his musings or keep quiet and watch his Facebook friends dwindle?

Phil - the choice is yours.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    It always astounds me that young adults dont know anything about food, nutrition and cooking. Is it because most mothers have to go out to work these days? If so, they should start learning right from nursery school.

I think a large part of the problem is lazy parenting, but not on the scale of the Chawners incompetence. I know a lot of younger kids have basic cooking skills and know all about healthy eating thanks to school programmes etc, but their parents will not entertain it at home. As a child, there was no point in trying to persuade my mother to make a decent meal, as Turkey Dinosaurs and chips take less effort and I had no money to buy my own stuff to experiment whe she was out :(

On a happier note: My neighbours are off to the USA for three weeks tomorrow and I am house/pet-sitting for them. I plan on plonking myself down on their sofa and tuning in since I'm positive they have the HD package! :D It's sad to think that I am being paid to watch the Chawners...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil's doing the cooking while telling director Dan whats he's adding. He's adding bailiffs. Only it's not bailiffs it's basil. I missed that the first time - bailiffs.

I didn't notice either just how cruel and shouty Sam is. I think feeling sorry for her stopped me seeing just how nasty she is to Aud.
    Forum Member
    The Aud-Human dustbin comment is so true. When Emma gave her dog food she didn't even realise. :eek:
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »
    The Aud-Human dustbin comment is so true. When Emma gave her dog food she didn't even realise. :eek:

That was true? Bloody hell! I thought you guys were just having a laugh! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    That was true? Bloody hell! I thought you guys were just having a laugh! :eek:

Very true! Even Phil thought that was a step too far & put a stop to it - either that or he was aware of the cameras and how it would look on TV! And you might have guessed it was Emma who was going to feed her mum dog food and thought it was hilarious. (I'd put a rolling eyes smilie but I'm on my phone & don't know how!!!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG I've only been watching it for 5 minutes and I'm in a rant already!

The girls have got home from the fat camp, are raiding the fridge to find forbidden food and have found three large blocks of cheese - who gets it in the neck? You've guessed - Audrey! Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that Audrey did that shopping by herself yet Sam is leaning over practically shouting in her face and going on about her staying fat etc (all true but does she have to be such a bloody banshee about it?). Meanwhile Captain Phil sits back and lets Audrey take all the sh!t (even laughing when she's upset) when he's just as responsible as Aud is, HE could have picked it up and put it back on the shelf! Grrrrrrrrr. :mad: I was going to say that Sam treats her mother like a kid but she's worse - I never, ever talked to my kids the way that they talk to her. Emma was a little bit more reasonable but Sam just shrieks!

Funny moment so far (not that there's many): Audrey - "I'm not fat" :eek::D

And I was very surprised to see Songs of Praise on their TV planner ! Who'd have thought.
    Forum Member
    I've said it from the start, Sam is one violent dangerous woman. After spending the entire of episode 4 screaming in her mother's face, they took themselves off to their usual pensioners bungalow by the seaside for a "break".

Sam, again, was screaming and shouting for her mum to do some exercise. Aud was coming up with all excuses, then Sam screamed "Move your fat @rse!" to which Aud (quite wittily, I thought) replied "Why don't you go first, Sam, you're always first when there's food about"

Go on, Aud, you tell her!!

Anyway, that threw Sam into a red rage. She threw something real heavy at her mum's feet, a handbag at her head and then hit her several times before storming out in tears. Of course, the family rallied round Sam. Why?! She's a nutjob!

It wouldn't have mattered what my mum would have said to me, if I'd have even attempted to just look at her in the wrong way the entire family would have put me in my place. The dynamics in the chawnie family is all wrong.

Sam blames her mum for everything and her dad for nothing.

Lets see what are Sam's problems
    - no life
    - no boyfriend
    - no standard of literacy
    - morbidly obese
    - ill health probably brought on by obesity

Why has she ended up like this? Audrey? Naaaaaaah. Who does the cooking? Who lays down the law about boyfriends? Who has made her a laughing stock at school so her education was compromised?

Congratulations Papa Chawn, you raised one brat and one violent bee-hatch. Good luck with your old age, if its your plan that those two are going to look after you I don't fancy your chances much.

Oh yes, and this episode also contained Audrey's crocodile tears over the girls chucking her cheese away.
    Forum Member
    By the way, is anyone totting up the price of the help they're getting. So far they've had

three sessions and a training plan with Colleen Rooney's personal trainer, Elise.

One consultation and one home visit by Dr Murray ( I know she's NHS but when was the last time YOUR doctor made a home visit? Normal people would have to be practically dying to get a G.P. out of his/her office)

A personal cooking session with Aldo Zilli or gawd's sake!

A consultation with that nutriotionist doctor

4 weeks for two people in Wellsprings, plus travel expenses

A full medical at a Bupa Wellness Centre for two people

Dental work for Aud by the Director of Leeds Dental Clinic

Swimming session in what looked like an empty pool

Several pieces of exercise equipment

Guidance and management of all these awesome gifts by LK and her team.

This is only 4 episodes in. We've still got the France visit to add to all that before the end of the series.

Feel free for anyone to copy and paste this to phil's FB wall when he decides to rant about Bio "using" them. Considering the additional assistance they recieve in future series they owe LK and Bio their souls! Its not Bio's fault the chawn's flung all that help back in their faces!

Makes me livid. Both myself and hubby are working and we can't afford the private doctor which would make the difference between me having prolonged discomfort and ailments for the rest of my life and total alleviation of symptoms. I don't blame the NHS...they're stretched and savings need to be made to save lives. But when ungrateful workshy eejuts like this get private healthcare offered on a gold plate I would expect them to be grateful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    By the way, is anyone totting up the price of the help they're getting. So far they've had

three sessions and a training plan with Colleen Rooney's personal trainer, Elise.

One consultation and one home visit by Dr Murray ( I know she's NHS but when was the last time YOUR doctor made a home visit? Normal people would have to be practically dying to get a G.P. out of his/her office)

A personal cooking session with Aldo Zilli or gawd's sake!

A consultation with that nutriotionist doctor

4 weeks for two people in Wellsprings, plus travel expenses

A full medical at a Bupa Wellness Centre for two people

Dental work for Aud by the Director of Leeds Dental Clinic

Swimming session in what looked like an empty pool

Several pieces of exercise equipment

Guidance and management of all these awesome gifts by LK and her team.

This is only 4 episodes in. We've still got the France visit to add to all that before the end of the series.

Feel free for anyone to copy and paste this to phil's FB wall when he decides to rant about Bio "using" them. Considering the additional assistance they recieve in future series they owe LK and Bio their souls! Its not Bio's fault the chawn's flung all that help back in their faces!

That's only the beginning, they've had a lot more spent on them in the last series. Still none of them have lost much weight.

They really frustrate me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it now - I'm still in shock at those finals scenes.

So it's OK to shout, screech and scream at your mother, telling her to get off her fat arse, boss her around, treat her worse than a kid, have a countdown then chuck cushions at her but woe betide she says anything in return because then SHE is the bad guy :confused:

I don't know if it was the imfamous 'editing' but I hated the way that Dan (or whoever) was questioning Audrey afterwards as if SHE'D done something wrong :mad: He'd just seen a woman being physically abused by her child! Where were the cameras in Sam's face asking her what the hell she thought she was doing assaulting her mother? Oh he brought it up in series 3 when Bio had turned on them when she was all contrite saying she shouldn't have done it but why oh why did no one take Sam to task then and there?

Phil's worse. If I'd talked to my mum the way Sam talked hers (never mind hit) I'd probably have been finding somewhere else to live my dad would have been so incensed! Phil jumped to Sam's defence when Aud said the bit about Sam always being first where food is ("oh that's not very nice!") but didn't think it was out of line to throw things or whack her mother? Didn't see him jumping to Aud's defence there.

Now I hate to sound like I'm defending Aud's (non) exercise regime here but for someone who pretty much sits on their behind all day what she did with that walk along the beach, the walk from the market to the loo three times, down lots of steps and up quite a steep ramp would be exercise. I'm aware that It might not have all been filmed on the same day but she's the very definion of a couch potato so ANYTHING is going to be exercise and tire her out. She is incredibly unfit and the girls don't seem to make any allowances for it or the fact that she's so much older than them and expect her to do far too much IMO. FGS this woman is so unfit that she can't even join a gym! Haven't they heard of 'small steps'? Encourage her to do a little each day and build up from there instead of calling her names, screeching at her, throwing things at her, hitting her and chucking salt on her. It might not work but it's better than the alternative.

And they wonder why she loses herself and lives through the TV. Got to be better than her existence hasn't it? Because that's all it is, an existence, where she's mocked and shouted at with no one else there to defend her.

Makes you wonder what the hell goes on when the cameras aren't there :(
    Forum Member
    I think Sam is incapable of expressing herself in any other way than shouting and physical abuse. It is rather sad and suggests she is this way due to the environment she has been brought up in. I appreciate Emma doesn't act exactly the same but she is the favourite child. Sam's frustration coupled with perhaps lower than average intelligence is very clear to see, she is unable to express herself in a more eloquent way. If she had her own friends and lived away from home she'd soon realise that you cannot reason with people by shouting at them and hitting them. Though I realise this has all mostly been said before.. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe Phil was in such a huff he said he'd rather be dead and stormed off. You could tell Aud was really upset and worried about him but it was all him being a drama queen because he wasn't allowed to go to the gym with the girls. I don't think he even wanted to exercise - more like have a freebie and make everything about him. I know he went in a huff about France and when the girls dared to go for a walk without him but this was just cruel. He must have known how worried Aud would be but he had to make his point that he didn't like being left out. If he was in my gym I can't say I'd be comfortable. He'd be in his build a bear shoes and normal casual clothes all sweaty after 4 minutes walking on the treadmill with his nasal hair flapping about staring at people. That gormless face smirking while other people were working hard to stay/get fit would freak me out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally got to watch my first chawners episode, well I watched half of yesterdays with Phil learning to cook pasta..my friend has the HD channel! A few things made me laugh, Phils massive hands and feet omg they are so huge they are freaky!
    I have seen a good few posts in the threads with people saying they feel sorry for Audrey..but I seriously pity her, Sam was awful to her in todays episode.
    They really are Daddys girls, they just seem to laugh at Audrey or throw things at her..I feel Director Dan is a bit sly in the fact that he obviously encourages the girls to act up against their own Mother for entertainment..just look at Audreys eyes sometimes she looks so sad. The dog is the only one that likes her :(

When is the episode where Sam takes the remote of Audrey and she hits her? she really is nasty, your Mother is your Mother no matter what. I have my friend recording tomorrows episode, is there any more on next week?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - its back on Tuesday at 3pm. You're in for a treat with their makeover. Have a wee before you watch so you don't do an Aud on the chair.
This discussion has been closed.