Options

Dragons' Den

andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
Forum Member
First time I got to see this programme last night so I'm sorry if this series has been discussed here before.

Like the format of this show. The investors are real hard nosed business people with straight forward attitude and straight to the bottomline. I hope they do an update later on to see how those entrepreneurs are doing.

So that's how Peter Jones looks like!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, brilliant show and also a very good way of getting investors to meet people with great ideas.

I hope the BBC does a followup show that follows the ideas through to being marketed. Could be a very nice series :)
  • Options
    nemitynemity Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Love this show too. Definitely agree we need a follow up show/series with cameras following the dragons and their investors trying to make their ideas into reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I love it, brilliant show and also a very good way of getting investors to meet people with great ideas.

I hope the BBC does a followup show that follows the ideas through to being marketed. Could be a very nice series :)

Excellent idea! I also think with a lot of rubbish shows out there, this programme is by far quite superior in its concept, with great substance while entertaining at the same time.

I'll definitely make a point not to miss this again until the end of the series.
  • Options
    wizard_ukwizard_uk Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I looked at that website of thay guy who setup the umbrella vending machine business with help from this show back in 2003 and seems to be doing very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wizard_uk wrote:
    I looked at that website of thay guy who setup the umbrella vending machine business with help from this show back in 2003 and seems to be doing very well.

2003??? wonder what took BBC2 almost 2 years to air this show?
  • Options
    wizard_ukwizard_uk Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    2003??? wonder what took BBC2 almost 2 years to air this show?
    I know a strange one, but it definetely said the guy setup in 2003, or unless he went to the investors to get more cash because he'd already established the business?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    great assessment of the show:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1441814,00.html

Having read the above I now think that this was not done in 2003 but created and filmed as recently as last year, I think anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great episode last night. That was some very scheming couple there, worldwide, uk, uk, worldwide! :confused: :rolleyes: I thought Simon Woodroffe made a bad decision there investing in an unproven product however Rachael made a good argument re land investment.

Anyone knows when this series will end and if there's plan for the next one yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    It was the first time I'd seen it too, but wow what a great show.

At first I thought the lady who proposed the tattoo removal was excellent, but it all fell apart at the end didn't it?

I think that guy with the truffles has a really good idea...but 5 to 7 years before the results can be known...?

Oh well, I wish him all the luck. And I really hope (same as all the previous posts) that they do a follow-up show.
  • Options
    DallyDally Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Great show. A real shame they show clips of the dragons comments at the beginning though. I like to try and make my own mind up etc before I get too influenced by the dragons. I tried to turn over last night at the start so I'd miss that bit, but they do during the programme too. Grrr.
    Excellent presenter too - very engaging.
    Think this show is gonna be HUGE (expect lots of poor imitation shows ha ha). Word of mouth it spreading it FAST I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,842
    Forum Member
    yer this show is quality,only good show on tuesdays.
    i thought that truffle investment was pretty good business.also duncan bannatyne is a legend.
    hopefully lots more series to come
  • Options
    Random PosterRandom Poster Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there used to be a show like this on the discovery channel...
  • Options
    digipersondigiperson Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good end to the series tonight, wonder if we will see Wonderland hitting the shops sometime soon?....

digiperson
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any idea if they will run to a second series? I wonder if they'll find 5 new dragons? I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to take part. Would be great to see Richard Branson agree to do it :)
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah I should have read the article linked above, all but Rachel Elnaugh are going to be back for the second series by the looks of it... I guess they will replace her with someone new.

Great show. Loved it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Great show hope when they do a second series they do follow ups on some of the businesses featured during this first series. Those that got their investment and those that the dragons ignored.

Anyone know if entire series is bein repeated?
  • Options
    digipersondigiperson Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night's episode is being repeated tonight on BBC TWO at 11.20, not sure about the whole series though.

digiperson
  • Options
    jzz4jzz4 Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    i've only just seen this as well. what a great show. a repeat would be excellent.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any idea if they will run to a second series? I wonder if they'll find 5 new dragons? I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to take part. Would be great to see Richard Branson agree to do it :)

The producers at BBC Manchester mentioned negotiations are currently on the way for the next series. Apparently they were quite amazed on the positive feedbacks the show received that they'll be surprised if they don't make series 2.

Someone mentioned Rachael might not be back, I for one won't exactly miss her but one successful businesswoman I can think of right now who would be interesting as a dragon would be Jacqueline Gold owner of Ann Summers retail shops.
  • Options
    WingerWinger Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I enjoyed this series too, joining it midway through. Presenter Evan Davies, the BBC's Economics Editor, handles everything in a light but engaging way, and enough not to dominate the programme.

I didn't hold out much hope for the BMX snowboard guys getting their investment from Rachel after semi-insulting her: ("Out the way, Grandma!")
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the snowboard guys and the magazine guy did really well to get the money they were looking for. But the guy with the folding boxes was stupid to value the company at £1.5M before he had aven sold any or got any orders. It serves him right for not getting his investment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I missed all but one of this series.

Has anybody seen it on a torrent site for download?
  • Options
    LemonadeLemonade Posts: 4,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good show. Loving every minute of it, and enjoyed the series. Sorry TimMuzik, but can't find a website on it for downloads.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great show, and I'm not normally into business-y programmes!

The box people - I'm not so sure that their idea is all that orignal. I'm sitting here looking at a fold-up rucksack that I've got - holds a decent amount of stuff, and folds down to the size of an A5 bit of paper. Not exactly the same, but a similar concept.
  • Options
    tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great show.

Much like others I hope they do a follow-up in a few years time .... and I look forward the next series ....