Options

IS terror plot on UK foiled

The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The first alleged Isil-linked terror plot on UK soil has been foiled by police and MI5 amid fears jihadists are returning from Syria to carry out beheadings on British streets.

Four men were arrested in dramatic armed raids in London during which one suspect had to be Tasered by police.

The men are feared to have been in the “early stages” of planning a “significant” attack and it is understood one line of inquiry is whether they wanted to emulate the sort of brutal execution that has become Isil’s hallmark on a British street.

Police and intelligence agencies have become increasingly concerned that the terror group, which has already beheaded four Western hostages, is encouraging similar attacks overseas.

Fears have heightened further after the UK joined air strikes against the terrorists.

Last month police in Australia arrested 15 suspected Islamist extremists amid fears they were planning random killings, including a public beheading.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11147495/First-alleged-Isil-terror-plot-on-UK-foiled-amid-growing-fears-of-beheadings.html

I wonder how long it will be before they fail to stop an attack?

I hope those arrested are jailed for at least 50 years.

Comments

• Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Good job on getting them in time.
  • Options
    TerryallgoldTerryallgold Posts: 1,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Islamic extremist warns there will be more Lee Rigby-style killings on the streets of Britain

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/islamic-extremist-warns-more-lee-4368546
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Islamic extremist warns there will be more Lee Rigby-style killings on the streets of Britain

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/islamic-extremist-warns-more-lee-4368546

Only in Britain would an anti-social behaviour order be used to combat bombers and beheaders.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The men are feared to have been in the “early stages” of planning a “significant” attack and it is understood one line of inquiry is whether they wanted to emulate the sort of brutal execution that has become Isil’s hallmark on a British street.

I would love to see the evidence they had.

I wonder will we hear any more about these men, including their fair and impartial trial before a jury of their peers. Or will due process and justice go out the window because "national security"?
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or: IS terror plot on UK foiled?

If you get my drift.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Have to be honest, I dont fully believe that there was a genuine threat. I think that this might have been cooked up to strengthen the Government's case for the ISIS war.

Need to see the evidence or I suspect that these loonies might be quietly released in a few weeks
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see the evidence they had.

I wonder will we hear any more about these men, including their fair and impartial trial before a jury of their peers. Or will due process and justice go out the window because "national security"?

The men will probably be cleared and released without a fanfare and we will hear nothing about it.

Security theatre at its finest.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to be honest, I dont fully believe that there was a genuine threat. I think that this might have been cooked up to strengthen the Government's case for the ISIS war.

Need to see the evidence or I suspect that these loonies might be quietly released in a few weeks

I agree it is odd that this particular case has been deliberately reported to the press. However, the security services may feel this is discouraging to other potential terrorists in the UK, who might now think twice before starting any trouble.

One thing I can tell you for sure though: the threat of terrorist attacks on British soil is very real. It's reassuring to see the police and MI5 are doing such a great job.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Only in Britain would an anti-social behaviour order be used to combat bombers and beheaders.

Well that is definately anti-social
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The men are feared to have been in the “early stages” of planning a “significant” attack...

How do MI5 know these things? lol

"Abdul"
    "Yeah Jamil"
    "I'm gonna take this knife and behead somebody brother"
    <BOOM>
    "DOWN ON THE FLOOR DOWN ON THE FLOOR"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    I agree it is odd that this particular case has been deliberately reported to the press. However, the security services may feel this is discouraging to other potential terrorists in the UK, who might now think twice before starting any trouble.

One thing I can tell you for sure though: the threat of terrorist attacks on British soil is very real. It's reassuring to see the police and MI5 are doing such a great job.

Anyone who believes this is pretty naive. It is more likely that this will be used as yet more propaganda by extremists to brainwash vulnerable Muslims. It will be made even worse if these men are later revealed to have been innocent in which case WE will be responsible for their radicalisation.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see we have the usual stuff about this all being made up. These people are out there, and they are being convicted.

Why would some of these nuts not be planning attacks at this time? it's more unlikely that they're not.

The security services get it in the neck if they fail to stop an attack, and they get it when they do arrest suspects.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always good to see the police and MI5 being proactive in the public interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who believes this is pretty naive. It is more likely that this will be used as yet more propaganda by extremists to brainwash vulnerable Muslims. It will be made even worse if these men are later revealed to have been innocent in which case WE will be responsible for their radicalisation.

As opposed to another successful beheading in public or another bomb outrage against innocent victims which will help the situation no end.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad these arrogant pigs have been stopped. The sooner IS gets stopped, the better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Always good to see the police and MI5 being proactive in the public interest.

Yes but if you act if you only have a slight suspicion - which in the current situation is completely understandable - then often your fears will turn out to be without foundation.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I enjoy the odd conspiracy theory and websites like Infowars as much as anyone. However, I think you are going a bit far in your mistrust of the police and MI5. They are trying to keep us safe.

If they really thought releasing this information to the press would encourage MORE terrorist activity in the UK, why on earth did they do it?

ISIS is already losing the propaganda war. They are even unpopular among many Muslims. The UK and US governments are very reluctant to get caught up with ground troops in Syria - even at this critical stage of the fighting they are sticking to air strikes. So I don't think they are too worried about swaying public opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Yes but if you act if you only have a slight suspicion - which in the current situation is completely understandable - then often your fears will turn out to be without foundation.

I would imagine there was more than a slight suspicion. It's not like the police have never had a successful preemptive Islamist terrorist arrest.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I don't think it should be reported at all. If something is discovered that is indeed a threat to national security I think it should be dealt with without a fanfare. Maybe it's supposed to be reassuring - maybe the authorities know something is about to kick off and this arrest is designed to prevent something else going off.

I don't think we need to know everything at all times - for security alerts etc. a relevant warning when they have sufficient information is enough IMO.
  • Options
    ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    I see we have the usual stuff about this all being made up. These people are out there, and they are being convicted.

Why would some of these nuts not be planning attacks at this time? it's more unlikely that they're not.

The security services get it in the neck if they fail to stop an attack, and they get it when they do arrest suspects.
    ................... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    I enjoy the odd conspiracy theory and websites like Infowars as much as anyone. However, I think you are going a bit far in your mistrust of the police and MI5. They are trying to keep us safe.

If they really thought releasing this information to the press would encourage MORE terrorist activity in the UK, why on earth did they do it?

ISIS is already losing the propaganda war. They are even unpopular among many Muslims. The UK and US governments are very reluctant to get caught up with ground troops in Syria - even at this critical stage of the fighting they are sticking to air strikes. So I don't think they are too worried about swaying public opinion.

One does not need to read conspiracy websites to smell bullshit. We have seen and heard so much of it post 9/11 that it has become the default output of government, military and law enforcement leaders. Why just this week we had a senior crime agency figure spouting shite about how UK spying powers are not broad enough.

With so much bullshit flying around, it is only prudent to be skeptical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I would imagine there was more than a slight suspicion. It's not like the police have never had a successful preemptive Islamist terrorist arrest.

We don't know. But in the current climate the security services are obliged to act even if they only have suspicions but relatively little hard evidence. It's the precautionary principle in action.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member

It is quite funny, they arrest people the suspect of terrorism and they are making it up. They don't arrest anybody and they aren't doing enough to protect the country. They can't win
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

It is quite funny, they arrest people the suspect of terrorism and they are making it up. They don't arrest anybody and they aren't doing enough to protect the country. They can't win

I know! I am quite astounded by some of theses posts.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One does not need to read conspiracy websites to smell bullshit. We have seen and heard so much of it post 9/11 that it has become the default output of government, military and law enforcement leaders. Why just this week we had a senior crime agency figure spouting shite about how UK spying powers are not broad enough.

With so much bullshit flying around, it is only prudent to be skeptical.

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/the-threats/terrorism/international-terrorism/international-terrorist-plots/arrests-and-convictions.html

332 terrorist convictions since 9/11, upto June 2013. That wont include cases awaiting trial, nor the cases of groups broken up, and prevented from carrying out acts.

That's not bullshit, or conspiracy theories. Those are facts, and it is a good job we have people doing this work.