2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry but whats wlan?

This is turning into a pain in the bum.

Just to mention - im trying to send all his music and pictures he had stored on my mac.

Can i use a Ipod as a storage device to move things over?
    If so does it need to be pc formatted or mac or does it matter?

Or just buy a load of dvd's or dvrw and just do it this way - might be quciker at this rate.

My understanding of Windows and Mac's is not great esspcially when it comes to networks.

Im now worried that ive got both computers exposed where i changed the settings for sending and reciving software.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LAN is local area network, i believe the WLAN is wide local area network or maybe the W = world.., hmmm.. not sure... and i'm not sure what the difference is between them either. anyway, i think the differernces are miniumu so it shouldnt make any difference which you usei... under these circumstances, unlesss we can idenitify the problem then we might be in trouble
  • Options
    paulbeattie87paulbeattie87 Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The easiest option for you by the sounds of things is to buy an external hard drive, format it, copy across the data forgetting any nuances with FAT32. Setting up network sharing and transferring files is going to be too confusing for you. Added to that you're using a WLAN to transfer data which means it will take an extremely long time.

As for a WLAN that's a Wireless Local Area Network. Wi-Fi, sure you've heard of that. Well Wi-Fi in real terms means nothing, well it means Wireless Fidelity which in turn means nothing.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The easiest option for you by the sounds of things is to buy an external hard drive, format it, copy across the data forgetting any nuances with FAT32. Setting up network sharing and transferring files is going to be too confusing for you. Added to that you're using a WLAN to transfer data which means it will take an extremely long time.

As for a WLAN that's a Wireless Local Area Network. Wi-Fi, sure you've heard of that. Well Wi-Fi in real terms means nothing, well it means Wireless Fidelity which in turn means nothing.

duh i should have known that... although i never refer to it as WLAN... just wifi. got it confused with a WAN....
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvwatcher wrote: »
    sorry but whats wlan?

This is turning into a pain in the bum.

Just to mention - im trying to send all his music and pictures he had stored on my mac.

Can i use a Ipod as a storage device to move things over?
    If so does it need to be pc formatted or mac or does it matter?

Or just buy a load of dvd's or dvrw and just do it this way - might be quciker at this rate.

My understanding of Windows and Mac's is not great esspcially when it comes to networks.

Im now worried that ive got both computers exposed where i changed the settings for sending and reciving software.

Depending on how your ipod is formatted. I used fat32 and can use it as a portable drive with PCs. But if you use it with a MAC normally you will probably have to reformat the whole thing.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mobile phone (Samsung) is treated by PC as an extra HDD. Drag and drop.

Needs a USB cable, Bluetooth is a pain in the arse.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    LAN is local area network, i believe the WLAN is wide local area network or maybe the W = world.., hmmm.. not sure... and i'm not sure what the difference is between them either. anyway, i think the differernces are miniumu so it shouldnt make any difference which you usei... under these circumstances, unlesss we can idenitify the problem then we might be in trouble

WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network.

Oops, sorry I didn't see paul's post :(
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    you can't just plug 2 machines together like that, at least not with an ethernet cable.

Yes you can - I've done it myself when I wanted to transfer MP3 files from a Mac iBook to a laptop running Windows. Just set up a "shared" folder and drag the files across. Easy peasy (but still took several hours).
  • Options
    paulbeattie87paulbeattie87 Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can - I've done it myself when I wanted to transfer MP3 files from a Mac iBook to a laptop running Windows. Just set up a "shared" folder and drag the files across. Easy peasy (but still took several hours).

Generally speaking you can't. The pins on the Ethernet port will be the wrong way around. Pin 1 needs to connect to Pin 8 on it's opposite number etc. Some NICs have the ability to sense when somebody has connected the "wrong" cable and switch the pin electrical assignment within the NIC meaning you can use a straight through cable. This is the case on the Xbox 360, not sure how prevalent it is on desktop computers though.

Going by current standards you cannot directly connect two computers together unless the cable is crossover. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can assure you, you can do it on a crossover cable and it links my W7 laptop to my upstairs XP Tower PC.

I am doing it while we speak. So There.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spending £4 or so on a USB flash drive must suit the OP if struggling following the good advice

Going off topic some we could have the PC saying 'I can't get no satisfaction' and the Mac saying 'well Mick Jagger owns me'.

Any better quality stuff?
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally speaking you can't. The pins on the Ethernet port will be the wrong way around. Pin 1 needs to connect to Pin 8 on it's opposite number etc. Some NICs have the ability to sense when somebody has connected the "wrong" cable and switch the pin electrical assignment within the NIC meaning you can use a straight through cable. This is the case on the Xbox 360, not sure how prevalent it is on desktop computers though.

Going by current standards you cannot directly connect two computers together unless the cable is crossover. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

which is what all current macs can do

so in the terms of this thread/problem
    then you can just join them together