Euronews coming to Freesat in HD?

Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to this article, Euronews has contracted for live HD video production facilities and are shortly to launch in HD. They already provide a live HD stream on their website. So we may be getting another HD channel shortly.

http://www.sportsvideo.org/ibc2014/news-roundup/euronews-taps-evs-for-live-and-studio-based-hd-news-productions/

Comments

• kerrykerry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    According to this article, Euronews has contracted for live HD video production facilities and are shortly to launch in HD. They already provide a live HD stream on their website. So we may be getting another HD channel shortly.

http://www.sportsvideo.org/ibc2014/news-roundup/euronews-taps-evs-for-live-and-studio-based-hd-news-productions/

Could it happen that it may get locked into the Sky HD pack?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    kerry wrote: »
    Could it happen that it may get locked into the Sky HD pack?

I doubt it as it's a news channel. I daresay that Sky would try and hoover up a new HD entertainment channel though to bolster its own suite of HD channels and, of course, to act as a spoiler to stop Freesat getting access.

By the way, has anyone heard from Al Jazeera about an HD variant of their English language news channel?
  • Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Hoover is a brand name, not a verb.

Not wanting to be pedantic but 'hoover' is both a noun and a verb according to the Oxford Dictionary of English [suck something up with or as if with a vacuum cleaner]. :p

How off-topic can we get?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member

Either you're not from the UK or you've just emerged from cryostasis after 80 years.

Education is a wonderful thing.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not wanting to be pedantic but 'hoover' is both a noun and a verb according to the Oxford Dictionary of English [suck something up with or as if with a vacuum cleaner]. :p

How off-topic can we get?
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    Either you're not from the UK or you've just emerged from cryostasis after 80 years.

Education is a wonderful thing.

LOL lol and more lol :D:D:D So 'Hoover' is the company, 'hoover' is a noun and a verb!

I wonder how long it would take the mods to just say this is way off topic lets delete the thread?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well that sucks.

Dam :(
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    The precept of prior art says that is should be spangler not hoover.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Well Al Jazeera HD has already launched on silly terrestrial COMs that most can't get, but no sign of it on satellite at all. So what hope for this channel?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Interesting.

My Oxford dictionary says:

Hoover n [P] a kind of vacuum cleaner. hoover v.t. clean with a vacuum cleaner.

However neither applies to the statement "I daresay that Sky would try and hoover up a new HD entertainment channel" in post 3.

It's very simple. I've never actually met anyone who couldn't grasp the concept before.

Wherever you can use "vacuum" (verb) you can use "hoover" (verb). The two words are synonymous.

"I daresay that Sky would try and vacuum up a new HD entertainment channel" -

Hoover up/vacuum up: 'suck up and capture, exclusively'; snatch up; gobble up.

You better be a genuine idiot and not trolling me. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the same way, unfortunately, that the word Sky has become synonymous in everyday English with satellite TV in the UK - fortunately it is not yet in the Oxford Dictionary in this context.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the same way, unfortunately, that the word Sky has become synonymous in everyday English with satellite TV in the UK - fortunately it is not yet in the Oxford Dictionary in this context.

I agree there sky does not = satellite!
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Id be surprised (If EuroNews HD was to launch) that it would go into an encryption deal with Sky.
    Its EBU-owned is it not? And they're not what id call a 'pay-tv' outfit?

And can this thread stay on topic perhaps?
    No one cares if you think hoover doesn't fit what you want it to. Its meant sucking up/suction for years before the company came along.. Deal with it!
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enough of this, I'm off to dyson the living room carpet and to henry the stairs and landing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    ....Its EBU-owned is it not? And they're not what id call a 'pay-tv' outfit?
    Euronews is a private company and was founded in 1992 by 10 members of the EBU (there are currently 73 members in 56 countries). The 4 major shareholders are France Télévisions (France), RAI (Italy), VGTRK (Russia) and TRT (Turkey) who together own 78% of the shares. The operating company, Euronews SA, is registered in Lyon, France. EBU members including the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and STV provide content.
    Some of its funding comes from the European Commission for "helping to create a European public space for debate and discussion" although actual details of the level of financing are hard to find.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about nouns then? Would you say a CRT has a hard hoover.

I wouldn't say CRT is a noun anyway. It's an abbreviation possibly for a device called a Cathode Ray Tube (among other things it could also refer to The Canal And River Trust, or a pacemaker device), it only become obvious when the context it's used in makes it obvious (certainly doesn't apply to your post). Rather pathetic really, everyone knows what what hoovering means, when the context in which it's used makes it obvious to most of us. :o
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, has anyone heard from Al Jazeera about an HD variant of their English language news channel?

And what about CNN? There was a hint of that a year or so ago.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be good to get back on topic rather than argue among ourselves about vacuum cleaning products.>:(>:(>:(
  • johnboy726johnboy726 Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :(:o god this platform is getting a joke now we need decent HD Channels now IE: ITV2,3,4, E4 HD, Etc.....(these are all FREE), but when they keep getting HD Channels like news channels they will never get the customers they require , I have been a freesat customer for a couple of years, and since then I have not seen much move in getting decent HD on here atm.... :(
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnboy726 wrote: »
    :(:o god this platform is getting a joke now we need decent HD Channels now IE: ITV2,3,4, E4 HD, Etc.....(these are all FREE), but when they keep getting HD Channels like news channels they will never get the customers they require , I have been a freesat customer for a couple of years, and since then I have not seen much move in getting decent HD on here atm.... :(

They aren't free they are all encrypted (Videoguard) , you have to have subscription and a card to decrypt them on a Sky Box.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    johnboy726 wrote: »

I don't think that's entirely being fair to Freesat. You get broadly the same amount of entirely free HD channels that you get on Freeview (free, of course), Virgin Media's M+ pack (paid-for) and freesat from Sky (paid-for viewing card) plus you get better overall standard definition programmes compared with, for example, Freeview.

There is the malign presence of Sky in the background trying to prevent HD channels becoming available on Freesat by tying up broadcasters with exclusivity deals but, as Freesat becomes more and more popular, I have no doubt that more HD channels will eventually become available.
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    I don't think that's entirely being fair to Freesat. You get broadly the same amount of entirely free HD channels that you get on Freeview (free, of course), Virgin Media's M+ pack (paid-for) and freesat from Sky (paid-for viewing card) plus you get better overall standard definition programmes compared with, for example, Freeview.

There is the malign presence of Sky in the background trying to prevent HD channels becoming available on Freesat by tying up broadcasters with exclusivity deals but, as Freesat becomes more and more popular, I have no doubt that more HD channels will eventually become available.

Couldn't agree more and the point about Sky's involvement is true too. I think though that, as Freeview now has spectrum for many more channels, they realise they'll need deep pockets to keep buying out the PSB's. Channel 5 HD has to be one of the next contenders for the platform. Already Viacom have, this week, jumped on to the debate about retransmission fees the other three PSB's have come to an agreement with Sky on.