Options

Cilla, ITV, tngt, looking forward to this... But

Comments

• Options
    ukcarterukcarter Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    The time shifting of the recording of Anyone who had a Heart to the very end of the episode was brilliant.

Absolutely. And on the second watching, I realised just how brilliant. What we see instead of the recording is an expectant father pacing up and down a corridor, nervously smoking and peering through the tiny windows of the operating theatre doors while his wife labours within to produce something wonderful.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm saddened to hear about bobby and cillas fighting. whatever else she is, I always thought they were mad about each other
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched episodes 1&2 back to back.....fabulous, really enjoying this.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have believed all the stuff about her being horrible up until recently when I realised that people would rather believe something bad about someone than something good. It was very sad for her when her baby daughter died. That must have been horrible. If she was that bad, surely Bobby wouldn't have stayed with her that long.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have believed all the stuff about her being horrible up until recently when I realised that people would rather believe something bad about someone than something good. It was very sad for her when her baby daughter died. That must have been horrible. If she was that bad, surely Bobby wouldn't have stayed with her that long.

She was his meal ticket.

As a young singer making her way in showbusiness I'm surprised there was no mention of her appearing on TV to promote "Anyone Who Had a Heart"
    Being "on the telly" would have been a huge thing for her, and she was on Top of the Pops on 5/2/64 when her song was at #24, then the following week when it was #8, (so before she was informed in the phone box it was #1) and then for the following 5 weeks.
  • Options
    fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Misty08 wrote: »
    That should be the final word on how friendly McCartney is with Cilla - Bill Harry knows what he's talking about. Plus, she's never on his guest- list for anything - not just his wedding!

When i saw Paul live in liverpool in 2011, he mentioned Cilla on stage and the crowd booed! He seemed jokingly shocked, and said he can't believe it, and what will cilla think!

Lets remember Bill Harry (who is great for knowing the early Beatles days, and i met him years ago and is a good bloke yes) didn't spend time with the Beatles after fame took them to london, so may know what Paul thought of Cilla in the Cavern days, but not after, and Paul liked her enough to spend time doing "step inside love" for her and encouraging her at those times. I think professionally paul is happy to associate with Cilla, but yeah that doesn't make them bossom buddies ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not sticking up for Cilla and her fake accent here as I don't really like her myself. However, I do think that she would have said hair as hurr and there as thurr as I remember that George Harrison spoke in exactly the same way. On his album All Things Must Pass, there is a track called Beware of Darkness and I am always amused when he starts off by singing; Watch out now, take curr, buwurr.

Yes exactly! Glad someone else says that about George :)
    On the reissue of All Things Must Pass in 2001 George even comments on his saying of "hurr" on the booklet notes, for the song "let it down".
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    Yes exactly! Glad someone else says that about George :)
    On the reissue of All Things Must Pass in 2001 George even comments on his saying of "hurr" on the booklet notes, for the song "let it down".

My sister and I were talking about this 'fur hur' thing (we and most of the people from Liverpool I know would have pronounced it 'fir hir'). Sister suggested - and I think I agree - the 'fur hur' pronunciation is scousers trying to put on a posh accent - or for people who expect scousers to speak like that. When I recall one of my aunties - it makes sense - she had an accent for nearest and dearest and an accent when she occasionally went into Marks & Spencer!

Anyway - I don't buy the 'fur hur' thing at all.

Still am loving this series though!
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm saddened to hear about bobby and cillas fighting. whatever else she is, I always thought they were mad about each other

Like everything in showbiz everything about them was a mirage, a story I heard at LWT regarding 'surprise surprise' there was a woman who had a younger brother from Brighton who was searching for his older sister and brother who lived in Scotland, well apparently Cilla hates Scots more than her own fellow scousers so once filming was over for the particular episode went absolutely nuts about having another couple of 😱 I refuse to say what she actually called them while Booby stood laughing at her comments.

I was also told that Nick Elliot tv executive and producer at LWT hated her guts and it was only the popularity of 'Blind Date' that prevented her being sacked.

As for Bobby im rather surprised he has not been the subject of a complaint to the Yewtree team if the rumours about him are true. He was an utterly vile man, hated being in his company while at LWT.😡
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i saw Paul live in liverpool in 2011, he mentioned Cilla on stage and the crowd booed! He seemed jokingly shocked, and said he can't believe it, and what will cilla think!

Lets remember Bill Harry (who is great for knowing the early Beatles days, and i met him years ago and is a good bloke yes) didn't spend time with the Beatles after fame took them to london, so may know what Paul thought of Cilla in the Cavern days, but not after, and Paul liked her enough to spend time doing "step inside love" for her and encouraging her at those times. I think professionally paul is happy to associate with Cilla, but yeah that doesn't make them bossom buddies ;)
    Professionally he has had nothing to do with her since "Step Inside Love"-which was 1968!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My sister and I were talking about this 'fur hur' thing (we and most of the people from Liverpool I know would have pronounced it 'fir hir'). Sister suggested - and I think I agree - the 'fur hur' pronunciation is scousers trying to put on a posh accent - or for people who expect scousers to speak like that. When I recall one of my aunties - it makes sense - she had an accent for nearest and dearest and an accent when she occasionally went into Marks & Spencer!

Well here's a demo of let it down - skip to 2 min 05 sec for "let your hurr hang all around you"!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6sPkLm0pWU

(The album version doesn't seem to exist on you tube)

Anyway, that's just to show that some did sing hurr, and George certainly never tried to sound posh, and was known to be the only beatle that actually had a heavy accent in the early years - the others put it on slightly (John esp!). Accents vary from person to person, and do evolve over the years.

Enough Beatles talk though yeah ;)

I'm enjoying the prog, you can't expect any tv biopic to be mean about its subject btw - so i dont see the issue.

Misty08 wrote: »
    Professionally he has had nothing to do with her since "Step Inside Love"-which was 1968!

True! I just meant when she gets brought up to him in interviews he always talks well of her.
  • Options
    WeeJintyMcGintyWeeJintyMcGinty Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry but I completely disagree, in fact it's probably the opposite - people were more likely to try not to say hurr/furr in an effort to appear less common and less scouse. :D You say they may have said 'hurr/furr' for people who expected scousers to speak that way, yet on another thread you rather bizarrely denied such a scouse pronunciation ever even existed beyond Cilla Black, despite all evidence to the contrary. :D Check out the 'scouse' wiki page and it covers the whole hurr/furr thing and in reference to it suggests that 'Brian Epstein's influence led to his artists adopting a softer Liverpool accent to appeal to a wider audience'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouse

I know wiki can't be relied on as being totally accurate but it's pretty obvious from reading that page that it's controlled and edited by an expert in dialects and accents, probably Andrew Hamer from Lpool Uni I'd guess, who speaks extensively on the subject and is probably the ultimate expert on the scouse accent and it's evolution...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/articles/2005/01/14/voices_linguist_feature.shtml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, that's just to show that some did sing hurr, and George certainly never tried to sound posh, and was known to be the only beatle that actually had a heavy accent in the early years - the others put it on slightly (John esp!). Accents vary from person to person, and do evolve over the years.

Enough Beatles talk though yeah ;)

:o You can never have enough Beatles talk. :D George and Ringo were the two Beatles from the most typically scouse backgrounds* and had the strongest working class accents. John, despite his strong working class background, had fallen under the influence of his slightly snobby middle-class aspiring Aunt Mimi but I think it was Paul who put on the accent the most - his Dad apparently used to give him grief about it in the early days of the Beatles. :D

*They both still pale into insignificance next to Cilla's upbringing. You don't get more scouse than being brought up on Scottie Rd, daughter of a docker and a Paddy's Market second hand clothes seller. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :o You can never have enough Beatles talk. :D

well, true! :D i love em!
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Having a quick look through the thread, I am looking for a new drama to watch, would you recommend this? I am not much of a Cilla fan, but I noticed Anuerin Barnard was in it, he was pretty impressive as Richard III in thw White Queen.

Cilia is an enjoyable drama and worth watching, as is Our Zoo which is brilliant IMHO and is also based on a true story, see show discussion here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1999932
    Airs on Wednesdays at 9pm. Three previous episodes available on iPlayer.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    I loved him in The Cops.

As for Sheridan, I never expected her to sing the songs, rather lip-sync. But she was great.
    Now there's a series I would dearly love to see again.

The programme was great by the way - I've only just watched it. Quite remarkable in fact considering it's on ITV.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I lived in Liverpool for 9 years, and can honestly say that I never heard a single scouser speak in an accent like Cilla's..... The way she said hurr for hair and thurr for there etc is not scouse - the say it with a very long a, sort of like saying Aero without the O at the end and a slightly longer a.....
    You've obviously never heard George Harrison speak then. in any of the early film clips of the Beatles :D

I don't like Cilla purely because she's a Tory, but at her age at the time portrayed in this film, I can quite believe that she would have acted more or less like the way she is shown here.

I feel confident that the story is being told quite accurately and it captures the period feel brilliantly. I really can't see how it would have helped this film if people with grudges had been allowed to influence her character, any more than a similar one of The Beatles at this time would be improved by concentrating on all the many personal flaws in John Lennon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for Bobby im rather surprised he has not been the subject of a complaint to the Yewtree team if the rumours about him are true. He was an utterly vile man, hated being in his company while at LWT.😡

If you have evidence of him being a paedophile then make a report to the police rather than posting snidey, cowardly innuendo on the internet about a dead man who is unable to defend himself. Tbh I'm surprised Digital Spy are happy to host posts like this... and you have the gall to call him 'vile'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have evidence of him being a paedophile then make a report to the police rather than posting snidey, cowardly innuendo on the internet about a dead man who is unable to defend himself. Tbh I'm surprised Digital Spy are happy to host posts like this... and you have the gall to call him 'vile'.

You better wind your neck right in, I never called him that, you did. I did seem him inappropriately behave while at LWT, considering the behaviour that was apparently accepted at that time I'm surprised that no complaint has been made in retrospect.

Frankly I am appalled and still am at the vile attitudes and behaviour from certain people back in the day and yes I am really pleased victims are finally being heard and seeing justice finally being done. As for the snidey cowardly comments, you think of me as you see fit but if people are interested in hearing of my time at LWT and various other broadcasters and what went on then I shall be happy to post them.

And I'm pretty sure even you must be aware that you cannot libel the dead, that's why DS have allowed my previous post which may I add would have been scrutinised. My only regret is people like him were not taken to task while alive for their sexist attitudes towards females. People should be encouraged and helped to talk about what happened in the past so we can all stop seeing it through rose coloured spectacles.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dont like her cause shes a Tory?
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    My sister and I were talking about this 'fur hur' thing (we and most of the people from Liverpool I know would have pronounced it 'fir hir').

What's the difference between fur hur and fir hir? :confused:
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You better wind your neck right in, I never called him that, you did. I did seem him inappropriately behave while at LWT, considering the behaviour that was apparently accepted at that time I'm surprised that no complaint has been made in retrospect.

Frankly I am appalled and still am at the vile attitudes and behaviour from certain people back in the day and yes I am really pleased victims are finally being heard and seeing justice finally being done. As for the snidey cowardly comments, you think of me as you see fit but if people are interested in hearing of my time at LWT and various other broadcasters and what went on then I shall be happy to post them.

And I'm pretty sure even you must be aware that you cannot libel the dead, that's why DS have allowed my previous post which may I add would have been scrutinised. My only regret is people like him were not taken to task while alive for their sexist attitudes towards females. People should be encouraged and helped to talk about what happened in the past so we can all stop seeing it through rose coloured spectacles.

Yewtree as you well know is associated with an investigation into the abuse of minors, you have used it to have a dig at a dead man that cant answer back. Low life.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't understand how anyone would be shocked by the stories that Cilla isn't a nice person. She's completely unlikeable in interviews these days- she comes across as a cold,charmless, humourless, deluded old harriden.I would be shocked by stories that she was warm and friendly in private!

I must say. Bobby is being made to look a bit of a prat in this drama!
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may not be able to libel the dead but I bet surviving, rich relatives could raise merry hell and make life awkward.

JS's relatives didn't seem to like him enough to defend him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yewtree as you well know is associated with an investigation into the abuse of minors, you have used it to have a dig at a dead man that cant answer back. Low life.

If I'm a low life then what does that make vile creeps like him? I along with many others involved in the tv industry have been around people like him and her long enough to know what they are really like. You need only scratch the surface with people like them and you would see the nasty vile odious personalities they really are.

There is a few good reasons why Black gets no mainstream TV work, being an utter bitch is just one of them and her and Blobby were well suited and it's nice to see her eldest son has the same redeeming qualities as his mother.