Options

anyone watch "The Sculptress" on ITV3?

trawets09trawets09 Posts: 1,612
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not watched it since it first came on TV in the 90s but was mesmorised all over again. What a great Mini series, Pauline Quirke's performance was Oscar worthy.

I also cant make up my mind if Olive Martin did it or not. I guess we as the viewer/reader have to decide for ourselves.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    i think she did it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kay-x wrote: »
    i think she did it

Im unsure
  • Options
    celebmaniacelebmania Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't it estabished that the neighbours wife was the murderer? I didn't see it on ITV3 but have the DVD
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    I thought it was great. I think we're supposed to assume she did it at the end - by the sly look she threw at the ex-detective.

I think the point being was that the writer woman is too swayed by her own sense of unfairness at the loss of her child, she has been manipulated by The Sculptress too easily. She also knew the neighbour is an emotional wreck and an easy target to appear to take the blame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never saw it when it was first shown and only caught it this time my chance. I though it was well paced with enough intrigue and plot movement to sustain the four hours and an ending that was not "all sown up", an annoying twist or an unsatisfying hurried conclusion with missing links. Perhaps didn't need to have the author's explanation to the crowds on the steps.
    One thing I did happily notice was that back in the 90's there was no pre-introduction which foretold what was about to happen in the programme, no "in the next episode" preview of what will happen and no resume up at the start of the second showing with 10 minutes of what we had already seen. When did all of that annoying padding start to be injected into almost every tv drama (in fact most episodic tv programmes)
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    That's a very interesting point Goveo - I bet the end credits are nice and easy to read as well, and don't rush past in the blink of an eye!
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first time I have watched & I loved it, though the 2nd episode seemed a bit dragged out.

I wanted her to be innocent, but could understand her going over the top and getting back at her mum & Amber. Also the old woman next door never confessed, she just got words put in her mouth by the writer.

Could anyone work out what the vicar was up to? I am not sure if he fancied her/hated her or just wanted to save her soul.

Good watch though. I love ITV3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    hi all....i taped the last episode...and it didnt tape the last bit when the vicar asked her if she did it...please can anyone tell me what happened after that....

thanks in advance...i am in agony:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heebs wrote: »
    hi all....i taped the last episode...and it didnt tape the last bit when the vicar asked her if she did it...please can anyone tell me what happened after that....

thanks in advance...i am in agony:confused:

She said nothing to the vicar just turned around and left but gave him a gift of one of the sculptures she made which he dropped and it broke.

She is then freed and the very last scene see's her hugging Roz and giving Hal a lingering stare (he is behind Roz) and Hals eyes widen with worry that she may infact have did it. Olive then smiles - the end
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minette Walters (who wrote the novel the tv series was based on) has always stated that she intended the ending to be deliberartely ambiguous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that just because she couldn't work out an ending. Shouldn't the writer know one way or the other. I hate things like that when she has to be shy then nasty . It just seems to be a get out clause why write the story if you can't have a real ending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    trawets09 wrote: »
    She said nothing to the vicar just turned around and left but gave him a gift of one of the sculptures she made which he dropped and it broke.

She is then freed and the very last scene see's her hugging Roz and giving Hal a lingering stare (he is behind Roz) and Hals eyes widen with worry that she may infact have did it. Olive then smiles - the end

Hi...lots and lots of thanks...i can breathe easy now...must change the settings on my V+ recording box....i cant believe i missed so much...God...I think she did do it...:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Having read the book as well it really isn't clear about Olive's guilt at all. My gut feeling is that she was guilty though and Hal face at the end says it all - complete horror.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being repeated tonight on BBC4, 10pm. Part 2 is on tomorrow.