Options

Taking money from a registered credit card

PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We requested a company to come and service our boiler and they asked for our credit card details. The company has been useless, we have had to get them out several times as they have messed up everything. We even asked them to come at certain times, which they agreed to do, and when I got home from work I found a card through the door saying they have been but couldn't gain access, this happened twice. We are worried that they will take money from our credit card, we don't intend to pay for all the call-outs as it was their fault. Can they just take the money from the card?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puddleduck wrote: »
    We requested a company to come and service our boiler and they asked for our credit card details. The company has been useless, we have had to get them out several times as they have messed up everything. We even asked them to come at certain times, which they agreed to do, and when I got home from work I found a card through the door saying they have been but couldn't gain access, this happened twice. We are worried that they will take money from our credit card, we don't intend to pay for all the call-outs as it was their fault. Can they just take the money from the card?

Yes they can. Just cancel the card and ask for a replacement. My card was used fraudently and I just cancelled the card and received a new one.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there has been no fraudulent use cancelling the card may not solve the problem as the account will remain open for a while or be connected to your new card number if you request a new one. You don't need to cancel the card, even if you have given a continuous payment authority to this company your card provider must accept your instruction to stop it, if they fail they must refund you.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Yes they can. Just cancel the card and ask for a replacement.

Or keep the card and ask the bank for a chargeback, on the basis that you haven't authorised the transaction (which you haven't - this doesn't even sound like a continuous payment authority).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Or keep the card and ask the bank for a chargeback, on the basis that you haven't authorised the transaction (which you haven't - this doesn't even sound like a continuous payment authority).

Doesn't giving the card number authorise payment?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Doesn't giving the card number authorise payment?

Not necessarily, it depends what the terms of the agreement are. Lots of people have my credit card number, it doesn't mean they can just help themselves as and when they feel like it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Not necessarily, it depends what the terms of the agreement are. Lots of people have my credit card number, it doesn't mean they can just help themselves as and when they feel like it.

This post reminded me of something that happened a few years ago and is a warning to check your credit card statement every month. I made a payment by phone to a registered charity, having checked out the registered number via the charity commissioner's website. A few months later I noticed that the same amount had been paid to the charity again. I rang them immediately and complained; they were very apologetic and refunded the payment within a few days. Then, a few months later it happened again. I was very annoyed and rang their head of fund-raising. I told him I had complained to the charity commissioner, and would also contact the Data Protection Registrar if it happened yet again - it didn't.

Just to be on the safe side I had my credit card number changed.