Options

Would you have Romanians live next door to you?

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
Nigel Farage is standing by his statement that people have the right to be concerned about Romanians living close by:
http://www.ukip.org/ukip_leader_stands_by_his_assertion_that_people_have_a_right_to_be_concerned_if_a_group_of_romanians_move_in_next_door

Apparently, it's not racist to single them out, and suggestions that it is are being pushed by the politically-correct "eilte".

So, a poll to discover who is elite.....

Would you be happy to have Romanians living next door? 140 votes

Yes - After all I sent money to their orphanages in the 80s
35% 49 votes
No - They'll break my wing mirrors and probably cook foreign muck!
59% 83 votes
I dunno - but can I be an "elite" anyway?
5% 8 votes

Comments

• Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my neighbours are friendly, respectful and nice to live next door to then I couldn't give a toss where they come from.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Nigel Farage is standing by his statement that people have the right to be concerned about Romanians living close by:
    http://www.ukip.org/ukip_leader_stands_by_his_assertion_that_people_have_a_right_to_be_concerned_if_a_group_of_romanians_move_in_next_door

Apparently, it's not racist to single them out, and suggestions that it is are being pushed by the politically-correct "eilte".

Try and have a look at the Sunday Politics and the interview with the UKIP woman she explained things very well and was in no way racist (not that that will stop the usual suspects)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b042yt8m/sunday-politics-london-18052014

The relevant bit starts about 12 minutes 25 seconds in

Oh and btw it also shows why your poll is inadequate
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    And let the elitists be truly honest - because they don't live in million pound plus houses in Primrose Hill, Highgate and Hampstead for nothing. They deliberately live in places where they don't have to mix with the poor and unwashed next door! Watch what they do - not what they say.

Cos anyone who says they would rather have 12 young Romanian men living three to a room next door rather than a German couple with two kids - well they aren't being honest!

Sorry if the truth hurts.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting how 'race' has now been expanded to include people of the same race but simply from a different country - wonder why that happened :confused:
  • Options
    Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll live next to anyone as long as they are a law abiding citizen.

I have always wondered who these mystical "elitists" are, I'm leaning towards anyone who doesn't agree with the resident swivel eyed loons.
  • Options
    bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Cos anyone who says they would rather have 12 young Romanian men living three to a room next door rather than a German couple with two kids - well they aren't being honest!

What about a Romanian couple with two kids, compared to 12 young German men?
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And let the elitists be truly honest - because they don't live in million pound plus houses in Primrose Hill, Highgate and Hampstead for nothing. They deliberately live in places where they don't have to mix with the poor and unwashed next door! Watch what they do - not what they say.

But those aren't the same thing are they. Would the number hold up if you spun that around ? Would those same people say they would be as happy with twelve young German lads next door as opposed to a Romania couple with two kids. Btw, who are the elite ? Just so I know if I qualify or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or even twelve young British lads for that matter.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    bob187 wrote: »
    What about a Romanian couple with two kids, compared to 12 young German men?

They wouldn't be - because the German minimum wage is higher than the UK one whereas the UK minimum wage is 8 times that in Romania.

It wouldn't arise - that's the whole point. Open borders/free movement may work between similar nations with similar benefits/wage rates (as it did pre 2004) - but not where the wage rates vary so dramatically. And I am afraid what we have in the EU is the latter.
  • Options
    Empress PlumEmpress Plum Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Yes. :)
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Balls. I'd rather live next door to any amount of people from anywhere than to people with two kids.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It shouldn't matter where they are from. This stupid european election has force fed us fear of foreigners to such an extent that it is all,people care about anymore. No one seems to give a shit about the NHS or education or any of the things which should matter. The next general election will be won or lost on immigration. It is ridiculous.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I would rather live next door to Romanians than some of the bigots who post on here. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next general election will be won or lost on immigration. It is ridiculous.

Nah the next general election will be when Nigel and his cronies learn the hard way that posing with a pint and moaning about "them bloody foreigners" only gets you so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    Interesting how 'race' has now been expanded to include people of the same race but simply from a different country - wonder why that happened :confused:

I suspect it is because people conflate "Romanian" with Roma gypsies, rather than your average Bucharesti office worker. And the Roma *are* considered to be an individual race.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    : Nothing really changes with time, heard these kind of things when we had indians and pakistanis came over to live in the uk
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like a dozen of them to move in next door to James O'Brien, the advocate of mass unfettered immigration.

Trouble is they wouldn't be able to afford it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »

Basically because the word "racist" has been hijacked as a catch-all term aimed at shouting down dissenting voices and "shaming" them into silence. It can basically mean whatever the user wants it to mean - and in most cases is totally misplaced to the point of meaninglessness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    I'd like a dozen of them to move in next door to James O'Brien, the advocate of mass unfettered immigration.

Trouble is they wouldn't be able to aford it.

Best post of the thread so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    I would rather live next door to Romanians than some of the bigots who post on here. :p

Be careful what you wish for ;-).

And define "bigot" if you please.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the same way that UKIP scandals (and they are very real) are being disregarded by some posters, the claims that it's not racist to not want to live next door to Romanians (not knowing them from peoples of other countries) is also not going to register with some.

I've worked with Romanians and have been to Romania. I've lived near some too in the past. They are good people, it's a lovely country and I've had more problems with the benefits family next door - and yes the whole street knew about them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »

Trouble is they wouldn't be able to afford it.

Dunno. There are plenty of Russian Oligarchs living in London.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member

He is right, it's not racist. xenephobic maybe but not racist. Idiots throwing the racist word around these days are totally devaluing what it stands for.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »

Are you Gordon Brown?
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for ;-).

And define "bigot" if you please.
    Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust or hatred on the basis of a person's ethnicity, evaluative orientation, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

Sounds about right to me. People have no control on how others will take their views. Such is the 'price of freedom of speech'. If you want it you have to accept that people may criticise you and your views. If you can't handle that then one suggests a more...'totalitarian' approach might be more....shall we say...effective? Of course, darkness that way lies.

I have no issues with Romanians as neighbours. That doesn't mean Romanians are angels or there's no gangs or no Romanian has ever been a criminal. No, we're talking about Farage isolating them out of all the other countries. And there's no ground for it.