Options

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    I disagree with the notion expressed several times here that the series "Wasn't well publicised". I hardly ever watch BBC1 but couldn't avoid the pre-publicity and it was that which made me want to watch the series in the first place.

The first episode didn't quite live up to expectations and I think it was that more than any other factor which dissuaded people from watching further.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was definitely well publicised. For several weeks the show had a trailer teasing the viewer about how long there was to go before the series started. I can understand why some people didn’t watch after the first episode because having read the book, for me it was the weakest. You did have to pay attention all the time or you risked confusion. Also, I still think it was hard to understand what Paul Kay as Vinculus was saying a lot of the time. In an attempt to get in character he has a tendency to speak quickly whilst slobbering over his words LOL! It's a shame because what he had to say was important.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Well, enjoyed the series, I think it's a good thing that I downloaded all the episodes with the subtitles.
    Just read the Guardian's amusing weekly reviews and some of the comments.
    I'll have to go back and watch the last episode again.

I don't understand what was 'so' off putting/slow about the first episode, that apparently put people off, it had me interested.
    I saw a couple of the trailers, decided to give it a go as it was Fantasy/magic and Eddie Marsan was involved.
    I download a lot of stuff of Iplayer and keep them, it's only disc space, I can always watch them a year down the line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, enjoyed the series, I think it's a good thing that I downloaded all the episodes with the subtitles.

I know what you mean, I struggled with the dialogue in many places. My subtitle button only started working again about a third of the way into the final episode.
    I don't understand what was 'so' off putting/slow about the first episode, that apparently put people off, it had me interested.

It just wasn't as action-packed or visually spectacular as the trailers had led us to believe it would be. The second episode made up for that but by that time the damage had already been done.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    I know what you mean, I struggled with the dialogue in many places. My subtitle button only started working again about a third of the way into the final episode.

It just wasn't as action-packed or visually spectacular as the trailers had led us to believe it would be. The second episode made up for that but by that time the damage had already been done.

I find subtitles/audio description distracting when something is in English.
    I'm double processing listening to the words and reading them, sometimes with different spellings with gives a different meaning, 'their, there', etc.

I did try turning them off, but always ended up a minute or 2 later finding something unclear and having to rewind and turn them back on.
    Vinculus singing to Stephen from his cell, (ep6??), I didn't understand at all.

I can't remember the trailers now, I'll watch most genres/styles apart from Bond films if I'm in the right mood when it airs.
    I've never understood the plot of a Harry Potter, I just drift in and out watch the whizzbangs.
    I'll probably tweak the picture next time I watch it, try and soak up more of the visuals.
    Rather a shame sometimes how many hours of work is on screen and how much you actually pick up.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I saw a couple of the trailers, decided to give it a go as it was Fantasy/magic and Eddie Marsan was involved.
    I download a lot of stuff of Iplayer and keep them, it's only disc space, I can always watch them a year down the line.

The most obvious problem with episode one was, for me, Jonathan Strange. Who could have guessed that this annoying, useless, often bordering on conceited twit - "what on earth does Arabella see in him?" - would become the star of the story?

If I recall correctly, there were a couple of posts here from book-readers that implored us to stand by him as he does improve (and how!) but initially he was not a likeable or sympathetic character at all (paramount if you are going to engage your audience). Nor for that matter was Norrell but at least he was performing magic.

I found Childermass intriquing and was amused enough by the idea of a Society of Magicians who didn't believe in (practical) magic to keep watching. I'm glad I did but I still think the production was far from perfect.

Episode 4 was probably my favourite and yet there were a few comments here after it aired that showed my enjoyment wasn't universal. Episode 5 had too much going on which led to it feeling fragmented and yet again many here had the opposite view and lauded it as 'best so far'. Episode 6 dwelt too long on old cat lady and Jonathan's increasing madness in Venice but the last 15 or 20 minutes of that same episode was some of the most exciting telly I have seen. And then of course there was Marc Warren as The Gentleman :(

This drama was certainly something of a roller coaster but for being different and dark and mostly well acted I may do something I am not in the habit of doing and buy the DVD when it goes on sale.
  • Options
    L.B.L.B. Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I've really enjoyed this series, some of the scenery and set ups were breathtaking. However, I'm a tad confused by the ending. Were they saying that Norrell and Strange were simply spells and didn't exist as real people? :confused:
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,773
    Forum Member
    L.B. wrote: »
    I've really enjoyed this series, some of the scenery and set ups were breathtaking. However, I'm a tad confused by the ending. Were they saying that Norrell and Strange were simply spells and didn't exist as real people? :confused:

No. They were real, their rise to prominence was predicted in the book of the Raven King.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm in the middle of a binge re-watch and I'm still struggling to understand what Jonathan did to annoy The Gentleman so much.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Asking for something as part of the bargain which he thought was tricksy and not playing "fair".
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of a binge re-watch and I'm still struggling to understand what Jonathan did to annoy The Gentleman so much.

The Gentleman had been summoned by Norrell, the first human do do this in 300 years and they had made a bargin but Norrell hadn't bothered with all the etiquette that the Gentleman had been used to 300 years previously.

This annoyed him.

When a 2nd human (Strange) attempted to summon him (again without any of the proper forms) he got more annoyed and refused to appear.

Strange kept trying to summon him which annoyed him even more plus he had become enamored by Arabella and the fact that she was married to Strange annoyed him even more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    The Gentleman had been summoned by Norrell, the first human do do this in 300 years and they had made a bargin but Norrell hadn't bothered with all the etiquette that the Gentleman had been used to 300 years previously.

This annoyed him.

When a 2nd human (Strange) attempted to summon him (again without any of the proper forms) he got more annoyed and refused to appear.

Strange kept trying to summon him which annoyed him even more plus he had become enamored by Arabella and the fact that she was married to Strange annoyed him even more.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. :)
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Just watched the last episode again and it was even better second time. I also feel like
    I understand everything more (a bit more :D).

Aside from the drama, two bits I thought were really funny were the way Mr Norrell's wig
    becomes increasingly disheveled, and the bit The Gentleman says "Stephen why are you in this
    tiny room?". The show was great at switching to the comical moments.

Anyway can anyone point out any key changes that were made from the book?
    Just out of interest. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    Just watched the last episode again and it was even better second time. I also feel like
    I understand everything more (a bit more :D).

Aside from the drama, two bits I thought were really funny were the way Mr Norrell's wig
    becomes increasingly disheveled, and the bit The Gentleman says "Stephen why are you in this
    tiny room?". The show was great at switching to the comical moments.

Anyway can anyone point out any key changes that were made from the book?
    Just out of interest. :)

I also chuckled at Mr Norrell trying to retain some of his book collection and Jonathan saying 'We can hardly say to the Raven King "We give you all of English magic except, I am sorry to say, for Gilbert Norrell's books!"'. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A change from the book that i forgot to mention is that Norrell asks Childrermass to investigate Vinculus's background. He finds out that he's got five wives dotted around London and none of them know of the others' existences!:D
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't either but there is very little patience around these days. I almost missed the series altogether-the initial trailers kept plugging the line about someone jumping out from under a hedge which actually put me off. Glad I eventually watched it on I Player though-I thought it was fantastic escapism. Sadly the show dumped up towards 3 million viewers during its run and finished below 2 million-a definite failure for its slot. Hindsight may suggest it should have been on BBC2 rather than BBC1 and personally I think it would have suited the dark nights of Winter rather than Spring.
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the BBC axe this or is it returning for a second series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sattrega wrote: »
    Did the BBC axe this or is it returning for a second series?

There was nothing to "axe". It was a one-off dramatisation based on a single novel.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Oh I thought there was more than one novel so that's a pity!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it unlikely they would have gone ahead with any sequel or if they did it would be a low-budget BBC2 production in the style of The Tractate Middoth.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Oh I thought there was more than one novel so that's a pity!

Susanna Clarke the author did say back in 2004 that she was working on a sequel but nothing has been published as yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Strange_%26_Mr_Norrell#Sequel
    Sequel[edit]
    In 2004, Clarke announced that she was working on a book that begins a few years after Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell ends. It is intended to centre on characters such as Childermass and Vinculus who, as Clarke says, are "a bit lower down the social scale".[16]

She has written and published some short stories based in the same world which I suppose could have been adapted or the main story itself could have been continued on TV with some input by Clarke but the original series just didn't do well enough for the BBC to be interested I guess.
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    There was nothing to "axe". It was a one-off dramatisation based on a single novel.

Ah, no wonder I hadn't heard anything, I didn't realise that. Much obliged.