The Last Ship (Season 2, US Pace)

Watched this morning, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm glad they've wrapped up the plot that led to the end of the first Season in the first two episodes of Season 2, and that they're all now ready for their next adventure.

I was expecting a death (cause ya'know; it was going to be someone) though I didn't expect it to be that person. But yeah, an enjoyable return from my perspective, though I hope the second Season takes a slightly different direction to the first. Didn't really appreciate the random episode of the week thing they had going on with that.

Comments

• SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't expect this to get a second season. Pleased it has though as I quite enjoyed the first.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad they wrapped up the story line in the first 2 episodes, couldn't stand a whole season of power struggle story lines.

Please kill off the Captain's daughter, she is soooo annoying.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to have this back. It's a load of nonsense from start to finish but it's great as a piece of laugh-along brain dead summer TV.

It could have just done with a "Previously..." section at the start to remind us of all of the nonsense from season one.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a surprisingly enjoyable opener for season 2.

I think that it was a mistake to take the State Troopers and power plant people prisoner though...
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure where they're going with this now, these first two episodes could easily have been the last two of the first series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Not sure where they're going with this now, these first two episodes could easily have been the last two of the first series.

Presumably back to a Trek-style Mission of the Week show where a mysterious enemy appears, a few red shirts die and the captain/doctor/engineer saves the ship just in the nick of time.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not seen it yet. Season 1 was funny, loved it. Glad it got a second season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A 'Booyah' episode, with the air planes and helicopters taking off showing how great America is. :)

Now we have a cult to deal with, just love how everything has to be brought down to the level of religion. 'We've all been saved because we've been chosen by God'. rolleyes

Don't they understand how viruses and immunity works? Well this is deep south America. :)
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're going for the whole cult/religion thing, are they, oh dear. :(
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Don't they understand how viruses and immunity works? Well this is deep south America.
    Blind Faith? Some people can't see what's right in front of them, no matter how much you try to educate.
  • TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    They're going for the whole cult/religion thing, are they, oh dear. :(

Yeah, quite disappointed too. I just can't see them as this big threat, as you have a navy warship with highly trained soldiers vs crazed civilians with what little weapons they have, it's just not plausible for them to be able to take out the ship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    Yeah, quite disappointed too. I just can't see them as this big threat, as you have a navy warship with highly trained soldiers vs crazed civilians with what little weapons they have, it's just not plausible for them to be able to take out the ship.

Maybe not plausible but the "ship has been taken over by a bunch of crazies" is a staple plot line for many Cult shows. It happened every few weeks in each Trek series.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 'Booyah' episode, with the air planes and helicopters taking off showing how great America is. :)

Now we have a cult to deal with, just love how everything has to be brought down to the level of religion. 'We've all been saved because we've been chosen by God'. rolleyes

Don't they understand how viruses and immunity works? Well this is deep south America. :)

What is with all the smiley faces? If you are going to be a dick just own it.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »

I wouldn't worry too much, I expect them to be the monster of the week rather than the big bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    What is with all the smiley faces? If you are going to be a dick just own it.

Booyah!!! :)

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay, they actually said 'ooyah' during the episode.

Boo, bad British guys now.

Not really interested in battles on ships, episodes. They don't move the story along.
  • welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boo, bad British guys now.

Some with very bad accents !

So I learnt today that there are hospital ships. I thought they were a bit quick to want to abandon that ship, even before they knew it had been rigged to explode. Surely it would be worth keeping even with the lab wrecked to have somewhere to treat people and fix the lab at a later date? Of course it must be hard enough filming with one ship, let alone two.

At least they are building up the bad guys to be a bit more than a noddy cult. Brian F O'Byrne will need to work on the accent though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a load of nonsense from start to finish but it's my favourite show at the moment for laughing along to. You could do a drinking game with the number of cliches used but you wouldn't be conscious by the end of each episode.

So where are all of the American nuclear subs?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL, so the evil Brits conquered the whole of Europe?
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I'm liking the arc of this season 2, I do wish they'd made the evil-British guy an Alan Rickman type person rather than a Ol' Right Guvnor Apples 'n Pears Mary Poppins type one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    While I'm liking the arc of this season 2, I do wish they'd made the evil-British guy an Alan Rickman type person rather than a Ol' Right Guvnor Apples 'n Pears Mary Poppins type one.

God the accents are annoying. Do they have to use American actors for English characters (I read somewhere it is contractual or union regs).

Not keen on the whole 'Moby Dick' thing. I want to see more of society breaking down due to the virus rather than the ship and its crew chasing down a bad 'Dick Van Dyke'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ excuse my nitpicking but I'd call them Cockney, rather than English, but I'm irked the bad guy ain't no Queen's English spouting, tea drinking 'Toff' :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^ excuse my nitpicking but I'd call them Cockney, rather than English, but I'm irked the bad guy ain't no Queen's English spouting, tea drinking 'Toff' :p

More Mockney than Cockney IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ :) .....
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was expecting the episode to end with Sorenson recognising Chandler.

Looking back at the first time they met I'm not sure Chandler spent enough time looking at Sorenson to recognise him again.