emmerdale and the demon drink

FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    It's a soap cliche to hit the bottle when stress occurs. Jamie did it over Louise, Jimmy's currently doing it. Drink's everywhere. Victoria had a bottle of booze at the lake. It's lazy writing really. I think the pub should be used less too. Generally, people don't visit pubs every day, but the practise in Emmerdale gives the illusion that they do.
  • Options
    pablopicassopablopicasso Posts: 32,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you say it is a SOAP cliché, not and Emmerdale cliché, so no need to think of it as another piece of ammunition against the show.

Another glass of port?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suppose it's 'cool' to get drink excessively though. After all, even the Vicar's always at it :D
  • Options
    lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the equivalent of eight pints of beer and a measure of spirits were consumed in an average episode

It's a wonder the Woolpack is still in business at that rate.
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read the story on digital spy and read this:
    Lecturer Tom Craig, who carried out the research, explained: "Even though the results are merely a snapshot of fictitious characters, during an eventful period, three characters were involved in serious incidents directly caused by alcohol.

"This included Jamie Hope falling off a dry-stone wall and banging his head, Andy Sugden having an altercation with Daz and the unfortunate Donald de Souza, who died after a heavy binge."
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a139343/emmerdale-residents-are-depressed-drinkers.html

OK, those people may have beeen drinking, but Jamie fell of the wall because he was trying to get his phone out of his pocket (and because he is a clutz :D) Donald died because matthew kept his pills and not sure what the andy/daz thing is on about?

I can't believe a university of monitoring a soap for drinking problems? why don't they monitor real people and real lives?? And how can they go on about emmerdale when all the factory lot in corrie drink every lunch time:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jamie wouldn't have fallen off the wall unless he was drunk. Reaching for a phone doesn't make sober people fall over, especially while sitting :D

Donald's drink intake probably didn't mix well with the stress prior to his heart attack.

And Andy was on a massive binge when he turned on Daz.
  • Options
    PickpussPickpuss Posts: 72,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you calling me an alk, alcu err are you saying I have a drink problem :mad:

Even John Dough has never offended me to that extent before. I'll have that port please Pabs if it's not too late, make it a large one :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamie wouldn't have fallen off the wall unless he was drunk. Reaching for a phone doesn't make sober people fall over, especially while sitting :D

Donald's drink intake probably didn't mix well with the stress prior to his heart attack.

And Andy was on a massive binge when he turned on Daz.

actually you could fall of a wall easily. Firstly they are not very thick, and if you have tight jeans on and try to reach down to get your phone, you are going to have to lean back a bit to open up the gap. Once you have just gone that little bit too far you could easily fall, drunk or not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    actually you could fall of a wall easily. Firstly they are not very thick, and if you have tight jeans on and try to reach down to get your phone, you are going to have to lean back a bit to open up the gap. Once you have just gone that little bit too far you could easily fall, drunk or not
    But he was drunk, so I don't know how you can say that didn't play a part. I haven't seen Jamie fall over once since the time he was sozzled :D That was the whole point of the scene IMO.
  • Options
    lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    also drystone walls have rounded or nearly pointy tops, not flat, so you're trying to balance all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't forget how Gray got drunk when things went wrong too. They're all at it :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pickpuss wrote: »
    Are you calling me an alk, alcu err are you saying I have a drink problem :mad:

Even John Dough has never offended me to that extent before. I'll have that port please Pabs if it's not too late, make it a large one :o

I would never do that I believe drink makes people grumpy and curmudgeonly so obviously it wasn't you who sprang immediately to mind ;)
    Mines a double G&T thanks cant be doing with port
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never do that I believe drink makes people grumpy and curmudgeonly so obviously it wasn't you who sprang immediately to mind ;)

Port is for old fuddy duddys I think. I'll have a pint of Monk's bitter. :)
  • Options
    Arcane2Arcane2 Posts: 13,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair there is nothing else to do in the country bar drinking yourself to death and incest of course. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone remember poor old Miles?

He was a drunk when he came into it, and all he did was fall asleep at Jasmines table and eli picked him up :D he didn't get hurt :D
  • Options
    PickpussPickpuss Posts: 72,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah in that case we should have a drink to being friends again, but NOT port as the last did make me grumpy and that long word you used :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    ''Tis the season to be jolly.'' tra la la la, la la la la...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pickpuss wrote: »
    Ah in that case we should have a drink to being friends again, but NOT port as the last did make me grumpy and that long word you used :D:D

I had to spell that word 13 times before I finally got it right :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what port does to you. :p
  • Options
    ClientFanClientFan Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see universities at the forefront of trailblazing research for the advancement of civilisation.