20Meg Upload Speed not updated!

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster but long time site visitor since the early naughties.

I have the VM 20Meg connection and I was excited as anyone when I heard about the increase in upload speeds to the 20meg service, (I currently run a SlingBox on my connection and need as much upload bandwidth as I can get for the time its streaming).

I live in Enfield London, and when visiting the Virgin web site was told that Enfield was to be one of the first areas to be updated. Its been 2 months since the announcement of the update but I havent had any change in the setting of my modem when i view the config page at 192.168.1.1.

Currently the config page on my modem says its still around 700kbs (i cant remember the exact number as I'm not at home) instead of the new 2mb upload stats, I have restarted etc many times since hoping for it to update but with out success.

I realise its an 'Up to' amount but as far as I have worked out from reading the forums and online sites the upload speed is still limited by the config file on my modem (which says its at 700kbs as mentioned above) I have heard that other people from Enfield have received the updated service (updating the config and displaying 2mb stat) and I am wondering if my modem has missed the update / VM havent updated the full Enfield network? or if it is just a case of me laying back and waiting for Vm to do their stuff for a little while longer. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do from my end other than leaving it be?

Sorry if a question like this has already been posted I have spent hours on Google and search this forum and many others with out any success to anything as close to the problem I have at the moment.:)

Kind Regards!

Si

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your area has been upgraded then simply rebooting the modem will bring down the new config file, if it stays the same then your area has not had the upgrade.

The other people you know may well be connected to a different exchange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Thanks Petey. I will sit back and wait for VM to do their stuff, it just struck me as strange that Virgin advertised Enfield as a launch site but didn't enable all loops, as I live slap bang in the middle of the town centre! I've just given it a restart now but still no luck, I might take a look at the logs see if it looks normal.
  • camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in Enfield, 20mb too. I didn't realise until I read this that they were rolling out the upgrade, I assumed it was just going to happen everywhere at once. I've had 2mb speeds for at least a month now.
    Forum Member
    camaj wrote: »
    I'm in Enfield, 20mb too. I didn't realise until I read this that they were rolling out the upgrade, I assumed it was just going to happen everywhere at once. I've had 2mb speeds for at least a month now.

This is getting stranger! I called Virgin but the guy had no idea what I was speaking about, he didn't know they were rolling out this upgrade. Enfield isn't a very big place and I'm living right in the middle of it, I would have thought I would be included in the 'available now' status it has next to the listing for Enfield.

I remember when I was with sky broadband there was a dedicated department ( i cant remember the name now annoyingly) I called when I wanted to check if I could increase my upload speed, I called sky, asked to be put through to this department and then guy dialed in to my line and actually ran checks on it while I was on the phone to them (I believe he tested if my line would work when updated to a fast upload setting....I think), does anyone know if virgin has a similar setup?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember, enfield is strangly split into two. i am guessing a split between telewest and ntl or something. My mate is in enfield and he got offered 50mb BB months before his brother also in enfield got offered it. We compared netID and they were different.
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    If I remember, enfield is strangly split into two. i am guessing a split between telewest and ntl or something. My mate is in enfield and he got offered 50mb BB months before his brother also in enfield got offered it. We compared netID and they were different.

Thanks c4rv, sods law really then isnt it! I beleive this part of town used to be on "Cable London" as we have a few old boxes on the wall mark up with it.Thanks for the info, hopefully they will release the update on this loop soon but then it would make sense to do it as a whole location. Has anyone else experienced this or is it only Enfield that is split in two?
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like upgrade activity is being suspended during the winter months. There's a schedule here.
    Forum Member
    fenlander wrote: »
    It looks like upgrade activity is being suspended during the winter months. There's a schedule here.

Thanks fenlander, its the same issue, Enfield is listed as "Available Now" so technically its "been done" which is why I thought my modem might not have been updated?
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if this will help at all but this is the current log of my modem!

Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Time Not Established Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
    Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 21 17:32:08 2010 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...
    Sun Nov 21 17:32:07 2010 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC S...
    Time Not Established Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

I'm not really sure what it is doing but I took this data after I gave it another restart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    If I remember, enfield is strangly split into two.

I don't think that's correct. Cable London used to cover Enfield, Harringey, Camden and Westminster (from memory) and maybe more. Barnet used to be something else (videotron?) and Waltham Forest used to be NTL before the merge. Cable London was bought by Telewest before cable broadband even existed

I would suggest Si, that you post a message in their newsgroup(s) but I don't think the respond any more. If not, they have a twitter account and I think you're more likely to get a response that way.

I'm 99% sure that you should be getting 2mb (have you tried speedtest.net?) so there's a problem somewhere.
    Forum Member
    I don't think that's correct. Cable London used to cover Enfield, Harringey, Camden and Westminster (from memory) and maybe more. Barnet used to be something else (videotron?) and Waltham Forest used to be NTL before the merge. Cable London was bought by Telewest before cable broadband even existed

I would suggest Si, that you post a message in their newsgroup(s) but I don't think the respond any more. If not, they have a twitter account and I think you're more likely to get a response that way.

I'm 99% sure that you should be getting 2mb (have you tried speedtest.net?) so there's a problem somewhere.

Thanks camaj I have tried speedtest.net and confirmed only getting 700kbs up. Do you know what their twitter account is? Ill try and ask them on there. Its annoying that when I rang them they knew nothing of the upgrade!?

Its strange how fast things move I remember cable London like it was yesterday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sim116s wrote: »
    Its strange how fast things move I remember cable London like it was yesterday!

Yeah I know. I liked it when they were Cable London, they seem a bit less bland.

You can talk to VM at http://twitter.com/virginmedia FYI I just went to twitter and searched for Virgin media there
    Forum Member
    Yeah I know. I liked it when they were Cable London, they seem a bit less bland.

You can talk to VM at http://twitter.com/virginmedia FYI I just went to twitter and searched for Virgin media there

Thanks a lot for your help mate! I've followed them on twitter now and sent them an email from the address on the twitter page!

I'll update this post tomorrow if I hear back from them!
  • fozzifozzi Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been looking at the upload page hoping that Camden would appear. Just looked at the schedule page and see it is not due till September 2011! So another year to wait!
    Forum Member
    sim116s wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your help mate! I've followed them on twitter now and sent them an email from the address on the twitter page!

I'll update this post tomorrow if I hear back from them!

Hi guys

Got a call from The Twitter Team at Virgin who were very appoligetic, telling me they didnt know what the problem could be from there end as they hadnt heard of this before but they have passed it on to the Project Manager for the roll out and they are waiting for her reply.....

They said they will call me back when they know more / have heard back from her, but they were very good to have updated me! I didnt expect that at all! - Thanks Vm, I am hoping that someone might be able to finally shed light on the problem!

Again Ill update the post when Virgin call me back.

Si
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    fozzi wrote: »
    I have been looking at the upload page hoping that Camden would appear. Just looked at the schedule page and see it is not due till September 2011! So another year to wait!

At least yours gives you at idea...ours just says being planned!
    Forum Member
    Hey guys,

Just an update on the situation, I finally got my modem after two week wait from Virgin. The modem seems to be the new model of virgin modems (rounded edged and VM branded) unlike my old modem which was a "scientific" model square box.

There were some issues where the modem didnt arrive and resulted in me chasing the VM twitter support team asking them where it had gotten to, aparently the ordering system had changed over recently and they needed to resubmit the order.

Anyway after a few days wait I recieved TWO new modems!?

I plugged it in the newer looking one, called the number and gave the activation team my mac address and they then activated my line. Was very quick and simple at that part! and now enjoying a 2MB upload line and a more crisper picture on my slingcatcher!

Now i just have to work out what I can do with a second brand new virgin modem!

Thanks for all the help guys!
    Simon
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just switched to the XL package (ironically for a lower price), and was previously getting just 4Mbps. Now with the very different looking modem, called a "super hub". I am getting about 19.50 average Mbps download, and 1.95Mbps upload. Very pleased. Might upgrade again soon.

When I rang the activation line, there was some initial confusion about what had been sent to me. They seemed to think I should have some device that looked like a memory stick, which should have been fitted to the back of my PC and then into one of the 4 ports on the hub, but such a device was not sent. So all I did was re connect my ethernet cable into a random one of the 4 ports at the back of the hub, in addition to the co-axial cable, and voila....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    > . They seemed to think I should have some device that looked like a memory stick, which should have been fitted to the back of my PC and then into one of the 4 ports on the hub, but such a device was not sent.

Sounds like they sure were confused - the "looks like a memory stick" part they were thinking of would probably be a USB 802.11n WiFi adaptor which you only get with 50Mbps. All that fits into the hub ports is ethernet cable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I've just switched to the XL package (ironically for a lower price), and was previously getting just 4Mbps. Now with the very different looking modem, called a "super hub". I am getting about 19.50 average Mbps download, and 1.95Mbps upload. Very pleased. Might upgrade again soon.

When I rang the activation line, there was some initial confusion about what had been sent to me. They seemed to think I should have some device that looked like a memory stick, which should have been fitted to the back of my PC and then into one of the 4 ports on the hub, but such a device was not sent. So all I did was re connect my ethernet cable into a random one of the 4 ports at the back of the hub, in addition to the co-axial cable, and voila....
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Sounds like they sure were confused - the "looks like a memory stick" part they were thinking of would probably be a USB 802.11n WiFi adaptor which you only get with 50Mbps. All that fits into the hub ports is ethernet cable.

Whilst their service is, on the whole, very good and very reliable, I have to say that I've never phoned them yet without some problems involving comprehension between me and the member of their service team that I've spoken to. The guy I spoke to on this occasion, also seemed astounded that I'd received the super hub for just 20meg, even though it's now advertised current policy !!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    What offshore CS or TS is ever of any use?

The suits think they are saving money but I'm not convinced that the reduction in customer goodwill which often follows a call to any offshore support is worth the saving.

In the past I've left several ISPs because their support was useless and couldn't get problems fixed. To be fair though at least two of those were with UK based support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    What offshore CS or TS is ever of any use?

The suits think they are saving money but I'm not convinced that the reduction in customer goodwill which often follows a call to any offshore support is worth the saving.

In the past I've left several ISPs because their support was useless and couldn't get problems fixed. To be fair though at least two of those were with UK based support.

I'm not sure how many call centres they've got, but probably some are overseas, and the technical support ones are probably here. The first customer services person I spoke to sounded foreign and was obviously reading from a script. Kept using my first name every few words, I noticed. He then transferred me to a techie ~ the one who seemed surprised I'd got the superhub for just 20mb ~ who advised me on the set up and enabled it. Judging by his accent I'd say he was based in Wales.

I had to give all my details including name, address, password and Mac No, to both of them. Thus repeating myself.