What I like and dont

gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
Forum Member
✭✭✭
like..

1. bigger HDD
2. more scope on series links
3. wishlists
4. recycle bin. Amazing the stuff I can still recover if I want. Why this wasnt in V+, I dont know.
5.FFW skipping ads. pressing play again, takes it back a couple of secs. Have this to a T now.

hates...

1. Music on Demand - needs a search. Simply dont use it now. Feels like it was designed by someone who doesnt use it.
2. prompts asking to change tuner when its recording three things and I'm watching a recording (I dont care...I'm watching something else, just do it and stop pestering me)
3. low res looking menus. Tv guide looks sharp, My shows, planned recordings and others look crap, plus no mini screen
4. Suggestions - Turned it off now. Needs work on it analysing what you already record. Spent more time deleting stuff in there than watching.
5. Having to set padding for each series link myself instead of universally. - If you dont do this, trust me, you WILL miss either the start or ending of a lot of programmes.
6.In general, the search boxes for search all TV and wishlists, etc need to have a wrap around input box. Keep thinking I can move out left to appear at the right of the box, only to be chucked back a menu.
7. reminders. Yes its controversial, but I'm in the want camp for this.
8. pressing Stop, it goes back to "my shows" menu and carries on playing the bloomin thing you told it to stop, in the mini window.

Just my thoughts. I know other have other opinions, plus I've probably missed good and bad points out. Everyone uses the boxes differently and a lot of the time its hard to cater for everyone.

Comments

• garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    i have no idea why the screen goes to large font on some TV menus and in HD on others.
  • mikerrmikerr Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    i have no idea why the screen goes to large font on some TV menus and in HD on others.
    ..because the "new" tivo is an evolution of an older tivo system,
    and not all the menus have been converted over / re-written.
  • timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    like..

1. bigger HDD
    2. more scope on series links
    3. wishlists
    4. recycle bin. Amazing the stuff I can still recover if I want. Why this wasnt in V+, I dont know.
    5.FFW skipping ads. pressing play again, takes it back a couple of secs. Have this to a T now.

hates...

1. Music on Demand - needs a search. Simply dont use it now. Feels like it was designed by someone who doesnt use it.
    2. prompts asking to change tuner when its recording three things and I'm watching a recording (I dont care...I'm watching something else, just do it and stop pestering me)
    3. low res looking menus. Tv guide looks sharp, My shows, planned recordings and others look crap, plus no mini screen
    4. Suggestions - Turned it off now. Needs work on it analysing what you already record. Spent more time deleting stuff in there than watching.
    5. Having to set padding for each series link myself instead of universally. - If you dont do this, trust me, you WILL miss either the start or ending of a lot of programmes.
    6.In general, the search boxes for search all TV and wishlists, etc need to have a wrap around input box. Keep thinking I can move out left to appear at the right of the box, only to be chucked back a menu.
    8. pressing Stop, it goes back to "my shows" menu and carries on playing the bloomin thing you told it to stop, in the mini window.

Just my thoughts. I know other have other opinions, plus I've probably missed good and bad points out. Everyone uses the boxes differently and a lot of the time its hard to cater for everyone.

There's more hates than likes there, so i think i'll skip it for now.....:p
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikerr wrote: »
    ..because the "new" tivo is an evolution of an older tivo system,
    and not all the menus have been converted over / re-written.

This is partly why I've mentioned it sort of feels like a beat project. Its like,get it out there , get feedback and we'll attempt to recover/fix it later.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,582
    Forum Member
    I hardly ever use MOD myself, but sounds like a reasonable enough request :)
    A fair point, but it just wants to make sure you don't mind losing the buffer.
    3. low res looking menus. Tv guide looks sharp, My shows, planned recordings and others look crap, plus no mini screen.
    Agreed. Some are not yet in HD, which they really should be.
    Never used them myself but yes, needs to work of 'fave channels' only or something.
    99% of my series links (with no padding) work 99% of the time. The others I just add some as I create them. Not a big issue for me, but agree that default padding would be good; and it's on the way :)
    6.In general, the search boxes for search all TV and wishlists, etc need to have a wrap around input box. Keep thinking I can move out left to appear at the right of the box, only to be chucked back a menu
    Yes.
    Then you need your head read ;):D (Yes, I'm in the "no" camp!)
    Fair point. I just don't ever use the mini-window.
    timpo wrote: »
    There's more hates than likes there, so i think i'll skip it for now.....:p
    Well the point is that most of the listed "hates" don't actually stop it actually doing what it's designed to do, and doing it well. In other words, they're not a reason to not get a Tivo; especially now they're nearly giving them away :)
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heres another "Dont Like".............Tivo is dependant on the internet connection for anything except live TV, yes even Recorded progs wont show..............Its been down twice in just over 1 week (Epsom, Surrey)...........whereas V-Box isnt.
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Heres another "Dont Like".............Tivo is dependant on the internet connection for anything except live TV, yes even Recorded progs wont show..............Its been down twice in just over 1 week (Epsom, Surrey)...........whereas V-Box isnt.

You are incorrect, the Tivo will play recorded programs IF you just highlight the show and press play, what it won't do is play recorded programs if you highlight the show and press OK, this is because it then tries to pull metadata about the show off of the net.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, now i know, but how many would have realized?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a call from VM tonight to ask for feedback on Tivo. Told them my pluses and cons and they said they'd fix them all. Ok, didnt actually say that, but did say they were trying to note all feedback. Hopefully one day a lot of things make it on to our Tivo wishlist.
    Forum Member
    Thanks, now i know, but how many would have realized?
    All of them except you ;) Seriously though, to play the programme you press 'play'. It's not difficult :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of them except you ;) Seriously though, to play the programme you press 'play'. It's not difficult :confused:

DOH! just used to V-box where you press "OK", Ill just get my coat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am fairly sure TiVo tells you to highlight a show and press Play in a message box when trying to access recorded shows with the network down.
    Forum Member
    DOH! just used to V-box where you press "OK", Ill just get my coat.
    The V+ was a real pain 'cos it always asked you where you wanted to start the recording from :mad: So glad I have the Tivo now :)
  • Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy with my Tivo but I would add to the dislikes the loss of the ability to output to DVD from scart. Used to make discs for my daughter at Uni, now when I do it I have to watch the damn programmes as well :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to add I'm happy with the youtube right now on it. Watching the whole 1st series of strike back via it and its cool.

On the input box though, are there any quick keys on the remote to make it SPC or DEL ??
    Forum Member
    On the input box though, are there any quick keys on the remote to make it SPC or DEL ??
    FFWD and REW, or possibly the other two ;)