Trivial things that annoy you about TV

Comments

• GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adverts in programmes downloaded through Sky's Catch Up service. Yes, I get that you can fast forward past them but they SHOULD NOT BE THERE! >:(
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    The news channels, especially, rely on technology that doesn't work. When a mobile phone is clearly breaking up and incomprehensible, they persist with it. When a skype interview keeps blocking and distorting, they persist with that, too. And in foreign countries we get reporters using satellite technology that keeps malfunctioning but again is tolerated rather than apologised for. I guess they're just scared of not having anything to talk about, but these gadgets are only any good when they work. There should be a quick cut off for when they don't.
    Forum Member
    Also: weather presenters plugging sports matches on the same channel or radio station (it's not your job!) and editorialising about the weather (just tell us the weather and then get off, don't decide whether it's good or bad for everyone!).
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV presenters who think it's cool to 'high-five' someone.
    They often try to high-five people who have probably never even done a high-five in their life.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Programmes presented by Len Goodman.
    You can't get more trivial than he is.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    gkmacca wrote: »
    The news channels, especially, rely on technology that doesn't work. When a mobile phone is clearly breaking up and incomprehensible, they persist with it. When a skype interview keeps blocking and distorting, they persist with that, too. And in foreign countries we get reporters using satellite technology that keeps malfunctioning but again is tolerated rather than apologised for. I guess they're just scared of not having anything to talk about, but these gadgets are only any good when they work. There should be a quick cut off for when they don't.
    I've mentioned this before.

Why try to persist with a videophone call when you can get the same report in better quality using a normal phone with a picture of the reporter on the screen?
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've mentioned this before.

Why try to persist with a videophone call when you can get the same report in better quality using a normal phone with a picture of the reporter on the screen?

There are also programmes - in the 21st century! - that do phone-ins where the idiot calling (I'll never understand this) has decided he wants to hear himself on the TV when he's on the phone. So, of course, when he's on, there's a massive delay while he waits to hear his own voice. Which causes the presenter to ask him to turn his TV down. Cue another delay. Then he finally turns it down. This has been going on for decades and there are still absolute dullards out there who do this. I really don't get it.
    Forum Member
    Programmes presented by Len Goodman.
    You can't get more trivial than he is.

Let me introduce you to...Stephen Mulhern.
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous trailer for Rip Off Britain BBC Clip > http://youtu.be/X26YhXlUaMw
    Crew outting spirit levels on a chair, measuring cameras & the set, putting make up on people not in front of the cameras etc, It all looked very unprofessional. >:(
    Forum Member
    Constant repeats of .... repeats.

An example is a show that is on series 16 but the channel just keep repeating the same couple of series over and over.
    Forum Member
    Audience reactions. From the whooping at every mention of a name that has creeped in to UK shows to the little ripple of laughs before something happens

e.g.
    Chatty Man when he says "What a week it's been" before he starts his monologue and people laugh

also on Mock the Week when Andy Parsons walks to the mic and gets a laugh for it.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    I'm watching 24 hours in A&E and its ruined by stupid music. It really is awful.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Dunno if its been said but in dramas the music/sound effects are always incredibly loud and it seems to me that the actors talk quietly or mumble their words. Leads to constant pressing of the volume buttons but can never get them sounding decent.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Also on lifestyle programmes whenever an action happens there always has to be a pop song linked to it - every time. Itv are the worst for this.
    For e.g a dog will roll over, the presenter comments on it and then they'll play 'Roll with it' by Oasis for 5 seconds.
    I don't see the point - like the viewers will only watch the show if there are snippets of pop songs? Or its supposed to be funny? I'd rather have silence or some stock music tbh. Mostly silence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything getting a # for Twitter these days.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that "Match of the Day 2" has a different opening to its Saturday equivalent.
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D'you know what.. people starting sentences with D'you know what is really starting to wind me up
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The run up to Christmas when all channels seem to think we want to watch endless documentaries about things we are not interested in! For several days/weeks there is very little in the way of a good drama. We have resorted to watching more on Netflix.

Having said that, I have been watching Dr Blake Mysteries on BBC 1 at 2.15 each weekday. I enjoy that.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC having way too many trailers before programmes. The other day I was waiting for Pointless to start and there were FIVE trailers/promos before the programme had started. Come on BBC, that's just taking the piss! >:(
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC bringing up a banner saying "Live Snooker" during "Match of the Day" and again during "The Football League Show" (and I dare say when they show the FA Cup highlights on Sunday and Third Round Draw on Monday).
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    The BBC bringing up a banner saying "Live Snooker" during "Match of the Day" and again during "The Football League Show" (and I dare say when they show the FA Cup highlights on Sunday and Third Round Draw on Monday).

In fairness Snooker is a much better sport then Football.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale - as usual they've got the seasonal shots completely wrong. Today, every other scene has a decorated Christmas tree because it's coming up to Christmas on Emmerdale and then the other shots show bright green countryside and trees in full foliage. Why do outside scenes have to be filmed so much earlier than when they are actually going to be viewed? People tell me that no-one really notices but the viewers can't be that stupid can they?
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Weather presenters saying : "It's going to be a lovely sunny day tomorrow" - in December !!

So this means I will be scraping the ice off my windscreen and then driving into the kerb when it freezes on the inside.

Since when is -5 a "lovely day".

Sunshine in Winter = Brass monkeys looking for a welder !!!
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    Emmerdale - as usual they've got the seasonal shots completely wrong. Today, every other scene has a decorated Christmas tree because it's coming up to Christmas on Emmerdale and then the other shots show bright green countryside and trees in full foliage. Why do outside scenes have to be filmed so much earlier than when they are actually going to be viewed? People tell me that no-one really notices but the viewers can't be that stupid can they?

There was a story that "On the Buses" moved studios, and the new studio could not take Double decker buses.
    So for the interior shots they had to use all single deckers, and the exterior filmed sequences were all Double deckers. And no-one noticed.
    Not sure if it is true
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they read the questions out twice on Pointless, I know it's irrational but it drives me mad, I heard you the first time you berk!

And Noel Edmonds playing up box 23 on DOND, nobodies ever going to gamble more than a few grand let alone £250,000 with a 1 in 5 chance of getting nothing.