Options

EE - Will they cast another GP?

NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
Forum Member
✭✭
They have come and gone throughout the years but I swear I don't recall a general practitioner character since 2010. The last one (unless I'm mistaken) was Al Jenkins who dated Roxy for a bit.

Dr Legg was of course the most memorable one, very synonymous with the Square. His scenes with Dot were so entertaining.

May Wright was a bloody brilliant villain. Should've never been killed off.

I thought Fred Fonseca could've been used a lot better. Interestingly that was EE's first gay Asian character, not Syed Masood. It's just that Dr Fonseca didn't have any family ties on the Square.

I wouldn't be opposed to an Anthony Trueman return, although his medical career might have advanced a lot since the early 00s. He had good onscreen chemistry with Kat and it was pretty nice seeing them meet up during his brief return last year. It felt a bit abrupt that he left Denise with the responsibility to care for Patrick despite saying that he has been more of a dad to her than he was to him.

I remember a few other recurring GPs. One of them was played by Gary from Miranda.

Comments

• Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Yeah it would be good. GP's have been great characters in the past and I loved Anthony, Legg & May.
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy with an Anthony return if him and Kat got back together
  • Options
    Tombo60Tombo60 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always find the GPs kinda lame characterwise
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A new regular character who is not a psycho would be good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Yusef was the last GP?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    Would be nice to see Dr Legg come back for the 30th anniversary.
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    Surely Yusef was the last GP?

Yep he was
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh crap, forgot all about Yusuf. Thanks for the reminder.

His final scenes with Zainab were really dark and dramatic,
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From the years I've watched (since the late 90s), they've never got the role right. In my opinion, they've always been part of another storyline and they have never been characters in their own right. I think if they were to cast a new GP, they should bring in a brand new family and have one of the parents as the GP.
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    From the years I've watched (since the late 90s), they've never got the role right. In my opinion, they've always been part of another storyline and they have never been characters in their own right. I think if they were to cast a new GP, they should bring in a brand new family and have one of the parents as the GP.

If they did this I would like it if they brought in a doctor close to retirement that ended up with Cora and then his son/daughter gets a job at the same practice and their family moves onto the square
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise Dr Fonseca was gay, I don't real remember any mention of his personal life. I was still a kid, though. I quite liked him, wouldn't say no to a return.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tombo60 wrote: »
    I always find the GPs kinda lame characterwise

Sadly, don't believe a lot of thought, realism, planning or care is put into their characterisation (from what I've observed in watching them character-wise). Though Trueman, Mad May, Fonseca & Legg all had their strengths & advantages (as well as pros & cons character-wise).
    srhgts wrote: »
    I didn't realise Dr Fonseca was gay, I don't real remember any mention of his personal life. I was still a kid, though. I quite liked him, wouldn't say no to a return.

Unfortunately, the actor is currently featuring in CS, so a Fonseca return is somewhat unlikely, anytime soon. Pretty unlikely anyway, IMO :-(
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes the show needs a new regular GP
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I think a new GP would be great! Also Sonia could get a job as a nurse there. It could give her a proper reason to be on the square
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not. They are boring usually. Unless they have a family unit or something and something outside of work then go ahead. Like if kush had a gp sibling or something and or daphne has a son/daughter who became one who moved to be nearer to Kim and Denise. Not a random character who will only be used for Dr scenes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we have Gary from Miranda back?! Yum :blush:
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    The current GP is Dr Hall, he has been seen once in December 2013.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    So we had

Dr Legg
    Dr David Samuels
    Dr Fonseca
    Dr Trueman
    Dr Leroy
    Dr Cousins
    Dr Wright
    Dr Poppy Merritt