Did Dawn Airey Ruin CITV in 1993?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    Can somebody explain why a ban on adverts killed CITV but there are several commercial kids channels running happily on cable and satellite?
    Some get subscription money, all basically by US imports and repeat them until the tapes wear out. CITV used to have to make half the shows here, and make a wide range of shows, not just the latest hit American high school drama stripped five nights a week.
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    They did have Surf washing powder sponsoring Crossroads, and they were having Arthur Darvill (or Thomas Darvill as he was back then) flogging Crossroads on CITV in a desperate bid to get that audience watching to boost ratings.

And yes, the Rev from Broadchurch was an in-vision presenter on CITV.

Here he is http://youtu.be/4lBml-4SsQU with Stephen Mulhern
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's lost the glasses and had a hair cut!
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Thames loosing its license in 1993 also didnt help, it took away shows like Rainbow, which had been produced by them.

I dont remember there Afternoon slot so much, but having missed a lot of Schooling, due to disability, operations, I fondly Remember there Lunchtime Slot.

Not too many problems. Thames continued as an indie for a while, revitalising Rainbow as "Rainbow Days".

Granada continued Sooty, the long time between the final series of Sooty Show and first of Sooty and Co was partly down to the process of selling the franchise and transferring the production rights to Granada, as well as allowing time for Matthew Corbett and the puppeteers time to consider whether they wanted to work in Manchester, close to the city centre rather than the London suburbs, i.e. Teddington.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seiko456 wrote: »
    Central was one of the big players in CITV, with a very long list of shows for the slot, STV did very well out of CITV.

The ban on Fatty adverts killed CITV, because most of those adverts were the biggest spenders for the slots. If you were trying to sell washing powered I doubt any kids would run to the mummys and say I want Bold ;)

What is the story about Boyd the person ?

The fatty food advertising ban (on the whole, a good thing for the health of the nation's children) was merely the final nail in the coffin. Most of the other nails came with each other dedicated children's channel launching, budget cuts at ITV due to overspending on sports rights and one from every family being able to receive digital TV.

On that basis, I would say the digital switchover was the final nail in the coffin for CITV, but as CITV has stayed the same husk of its' former self since about 2005/06, the DSO can't be blamed.

Central were one of the biggest of that list I posted earlier, but not that many of their children's shows from the 90s are really memorable now,. Obviously there are Rosie and Jim, Woof, Tots TV and a few others I'm sure I've forgotten. But much of their stuff for CITV consisted of stuff like Brill, Harry's Mad and many others. Even for kids shows, they got good ratings, but aren't actually *memorable*.

Those of you who look up Harry's Mad now will be surprised at how you don't remember it (I only vaguely do from original transmissions - talking parrot puppet), yet it lasted for about 3/4 years, so obviously got decent ratings.

Same applies, even more so, to Mike and Angelo (though that was Thames). That ran for 11 years, but no-one outside of the archive TV geek circle remembers it - I only vaguely do from the time of original transmissions (early thirtysomething man able to walk on ceilings). Obviously insanely popular in terms of children's TV ratings, but now no-one really remembers it.

Compare vintage CITV stuff of the 90s with CBBC contemporaries, and many of my peers that grew up during the same period will remember CBBC shows far better than CITV ones. For CITV they remember stuff like Wizadora, Tots TV, Rosie and Jim,. but once you get to the shows for older kids, things get patchy. Most will struggle to remember anything outside of Fun House, Art Attack or How 2. Programmes like Count Duckula, Finders Keepers and Children's Ward won't be remembered unless you showed them a clip. As for Get Wet? Snap? Terror Towers? Spooks of Bottle Bay? Don't bother trying to make them remember, they won't!
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think the CITV channel is only still there for box ticking purposes more then ratings as they don't care for it.
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CITV used to be huge, able to go toe-to-toe with CBBC and putting on something new virtually every day; the CITV I grew up with in the 80s and 90s was genuinely made with thought and I absolutely lapped it up, from the imported cartoons through to the homemade comedy, drama, entertainment and factual shows.

Now, though, ITV clearly don't give much of a crap and you get the feeling they'd drop the channel if they could - the pay channels dominate kids' viewing in digital homes, and even in FTA-only homes CSC is now bigger than ITV, with two (Freeview) / four (free satellite) round-the-clock channels, albeit until recently built on less well-known content and with far less original UK production than ITV or the BBC.

ITV have the capability to do more with CITV. They could extend its hours (it shares with ITV3 +1 on Freeview and with nothing on satellite); they could make it available in HD like their other channels have been; they could launch a subsidiary channel in the CBeebies/Tiny Pop mould (albeit not on Freeview without cutting something else...) The fact they haven't, and instead seem keen to just loop through their little pool of content, suggests CITV just isn't seen as valuable anymore. It's a shame, but I guess that's business - the CITV I grew up with just wouldn't wash with the beancounters today...
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up during the 90's and I began to felt towards the latter part of the decade that the programme had gone down hill. During the mid 90's they had better programmes like Shortland Street and The Worst Witch but then it slowly went into decline.
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Central TV was the main producer of Childrens programmes for ITV in the 80's and 90's.
    However it was taken over by Carlton TV in 1994 after the big "franchise auction".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_Central#Children.27s

Carlton & Granada then basically shut down all production by Central gradually in the early 2000's. This affected the childrens shows.
    They also cut the budgets for Citv

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITV

TVS was the power house of Childrens programming in the 1980's producing virtually all network saturday morning TV from No73 to Motormoth to Whats Up Doc. The likes or How2, Tugs, Henrys Leg, Fraggle Rock on ITV and The Story Teller on Channel 4 showed how much they were committed to putting money into Children's television.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    They did have Surf washing powder sponsoring Crossroads, and they were having Arthur Darvill (or Thomas Darvill as he was back then) flogging Crossroads on CITV in a desperate bid to get that audience watching to boost ratings.

And yes, the Rev from Broadchurch was an in-vision presenter on CITV.

His Mother was a puppeteer in Children's Telly - she was the Why Bird
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playdays

It would make sense with her contacts that her son as a young actor, would get his first job where family members have some clout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I grew up during the 90's and I began to felt towards the latter part of the decade that the programme had gone down hill. During the mid 90's they had better programmes like Shortland Street and The Worst Witch but then it slowly went into decline.

Shortland Street wasn't a children's programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TVS was the power house of Childrens programming in the 1980's producing virtually all network saturday morning TV from No73 to Motormoth to Whats Up Doc. The likes or How2, Tugs, Henrys Leg, Fraggle Rock on ITV and The Story Teller on Channel 4 showed how much they were committed to putting money into Children's television.

Tyne Tees produced a fair bit, too, as did Central. In fact, before No. 73 was networked, Central were the dominant Saturday morning kids TV producer, a title inherited from ATV/TISWAS.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I watched CITV from about 1993 so never saw the presenters. TBH it felt good just to have the cartoons and shows on one after the other instead of some presenter talking bollocks for a minute wasting time. CITV was what has me glued to the TV! Knightmare, Childrens Hospital, Zzzap, Art Attack and lots more good stuff. It went a bit shit around 1998, but Danielle the presenter was easy on the eye ;)

I turned over to CBBC from 1998 onwards until around 2003 when I stopped watching kids TV. I did like SMTV on Sat mornings and MOM later on into the mid 00s but that was only because Holly Willoughby was on it.
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the pay channels dominate kids' viewing in digital homes, and even in FTA-only homes CSC is now bigger than ITV, with two (Freeview) / four (free satellite) round-the-clock channels, albeit until recently built on less well-known content and with far less original UK production than ITV or the BBC.

don't miss channel 5's milkshake out. as they must have taking views away for the BBC & ITV after some of content they had has end up on milkshake. ie postman pat / fireman sam are jest some of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    Lol, it also looks like it was her first ever post on DS, so she may even have joined just to write a single Australian colloquial word of exclamation 7 months after the last comment. The human species is bizarre indeed.
    I think you will find it is 31 months. That's 5 months per character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    I watched CITV from about 1993 so never saw the presenters. TBH it felt good just to have the cartoons and shows on one after the other instead of some presenter talking bollocks for a minute wasting time. CITV was what has me glued to the TV! Knightmare, Childrens Hospital, Zzzap, Art Attack and lots more good stuff. It went a bit shit around 1998, but Danielle the presenter was easy on the eye ;)

I turned over to CBBC from 1998 onwards until around 2003 when I stopped watching kids TV. I did like SMTV on Sat mornings and MOM later on into the mid 00s but that was only because Holly Willoughby was on it.

You did have a presenter from 1993-98 - well, an announcer (Steve Ryde) - who was not averse to talking bollocks on occasion.