PMQs 21/01/2015

Comments

• plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Indeed. Portraying Ed as a victim is hardly a vote winner.

It is if people are voting for the next leader of the Labour party (and you're not Ed).
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    What programme?
    Comedy channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Indeed. He is just drawing attention to the fact that Ed is incapable of sticking up for himself. Making Miliband look weak and helpless which in itself is easy to do. Ed is like a goalkeeper standing in goal in one position without moving just waiting for Cameron to foot the ball in the huge open space.

For someone who cannot even effectively lead his party what chance would one give Miliband representing his country on the world's stage in from of other leaders he looks like some sort of geeky character in a school standing in the playground looking like little boy lost.

In that case, why is Cameron too scared to have a head-to-head TV debate with him? :confused:
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case, why is Cameron too scared to have a head-to-head TV debate with him? :confused:

Didn't he say last week that he was happy for a head to head with Ed?

"The more time he and I can spend on television and in the television studio, the happier I will be"
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member

Have you a genuine cast iron Tory Blue Head Office link to that claim or are you just repeating another unsubstantiated line-to-take by Chris Leslie or Chuka Umunna?
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My observation is that it is Cameron that has upped his game no so much in the exchange of questions with Miliband but in how he responds to Labour questions. Rather than give a off the cuff bland answer he is responding with facts and figures relevant to their particular constituency. This is going to lead to Labour having to be far more organised in how they put their questions forward. Having a load of MP's stand up and ask basically the question of the day from Labour HQ is not going to work unless they choose the right MP. This change of tactic from Cameron is not going to be noticed by many of the public but it will be picked up on by media. It is driving the debate down the factual route rather them parroting what they have been fed from Labour before PMQ's starts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Have you a genuine cast iron Tory Blue Head Office link to that claim or are you just repeating another unsubstantiated line-to-take by Chris Leslie or Chuka Umunna?

Oh come off it. It's obvious that Cameron would rather avoid a debate with Miliband and also Farage. Or, at the very least, he's been advised by Conservative head office not to take part.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Chris Bryant calling Cameron a bully again on twitter. Why do Labour MP's think this is a good tactic, exactly? Especially as it always seems to to surface after a PMQ's where their leader is, once again, awful.

Because politics is, and always has been, about speaking truthfully to your opposite number....sorry I couldn't get through all of that.

The irony is of course that Ed Balls used to (and might still) sit and shout as many borderline things as he could at Cameron, which is of course not bullying as he is a Labour MP. All the sides do it, that is what the HoC is for, the Yanks love it...well jon Stewart does.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come off it. It's obvious that Cameron would rather avoid a debate with Miliband and also Farage. Or, at the very least, he's been advised by Conservative head office not to take part.

Judging by PMQ's every week I cant see why he would be afraid of debating with Miliband - I can see why Cameron would be terrified of Farage though.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In what reality?

Farage is a bit of a risk as far as possible banana skins go in a head to head debate on Europe but Miliband is about as big a threat as Eric Pickles is to Usain Bolt's 100m world record.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    In what reality?

Farage is a bit of a risk as far as possible banana skins go in a head to head debate on Europe but Miliband is about as big a threat as Eric Pickles is to Usain Bolt's 100m world record.

Just put a large frosted cake under the tape. Pickles would obliterate the record.

I'm sure Cameron has been advised that he's on a hiding to nothing as far as the debates are concerned. Clegg is history. Farage will do what he always does, point and laugh at the problems but offer no solutions other than running away from things. However the simplicity of his argument is still highly persuasive and when you factor in a fresh approach, Cameron simply can't win. But Miliband? Cameron can skewer him whenever whenever he wants. Not because he's that good, but because Miliband really is that bad.
    Forum Member

That's clear then you haven't and so you're just repeating Labour mischiefmaking.
    Forum Member
    In what reality?

Agreed. Cameron has been debating, in public, with Miliband every Wednesday afternoon for the past five years. I can't for the life of me think of a single reason why he would seek to duck debating during the General Election.
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Slagging off toffs seems to be his mantra.

Pretty ironic given Chris Bryant's rather privileged background. He was actually a member of the conservative party in his early life
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

This is fanciful thinking not backed up by the facts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Cameron has been debating, in public, with Miliband every Wednesday afternoon for the past five years. I can't for the life of me think of a single reason why he would seek to duck debating during the General Election.

...particularly when it's been noted by some commentators that, if anything, Ed Miliband's personal ratings tend to plummet further the more we see of him.

Labour fans on this board like to paint a picture of a media that picks on Ed for having a bit of a nasally voice and a vacant gaze so if anyone should be worried you'd think it would be them as they await the inevitable image of him looking like a startled Nick Park creation in the following days papers.

Anyone thinking that Ed has Cameron quaking in fear of him in a televised debate is beyond deluded
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...particularly when it's been noted by some commentators that, if anything, Ed Miliband's personal ratings tend to plummet further the more we see of him.

Labour fans on this board like to paint a picture of a media that picks on Ed for having a bit of a nasally voice and a vacant gaze so if anyone should be worried you'd think it would be them as they await the inevitable image of him looking like a startled Nick Park creation in the following days papers.

Anyone thinking that Ed has Cameron quaking in fear of him in a televised debate is beyond deluded

Cameron is against the current format because he knows it will turn into more of a Tory bashing game than a debate. Nothing too do with being scared of Ed.
  • sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With a few slight differences....

1) In the debates, Cameron won't always be given the last word (which is a huge advantage in PMQs)

2) Cameron might be able to get away with his bs-speak when he's got his chorus of circus animals behind him in PMQs, but it might not go down quite so well with the likes of Dimbleby, the debate audience and when against all of Miliband, Clegg & Farage...

3) He won't be able to dodge questions in the debates, or use ad-hominem style bully-boy attacks on the questioners. He'll actually have to answer them... and properly.

4) The audiences will be metaphorically armed with tomatoes to throw at him every time he utters the words "long term economic plan".

5) Cameron is the one with everything to lose (well, and probably also Clegg).
    Forum Member
    sangreal wrote: »
    With a few slight differences....

1) In the debates, Cameron won't always be given the last word (which is a huge advantage in PMQs)

2) Cameron might be able to get away with his bs-speak when he's got his chorus of circus animals behind him in PMQs, but it might not go down quite so well with the likes of Dimbleby, the debate audience and when against all of Miliband, Clegg & Farage...

3) He won't be able to dodge questions in the debates, or use ad-hominem style bully-boy attacks on the questioners. He'll actually have to answer them... and properly.

4) The audiences will be metaphorically armed with tomatoes to throw at him every time he utters the words "long term economic plan".

5) Cameron is the one with everything to lose (well, and probably also Clegg).

Nothing positive to say about Ed Miliband?

The standard fallback position for desparate Labour supporters then.........slag off Cameron
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Ed is hopeless, inept, clueless? Doesn't say much for the Tories then does it-shouldn't the opinion polls be pointing to a commanding majority by now?
  • sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing positive to say about Ed Miliband?

The standard fallback position for desparate Labour supporters then.........slag off Cameron

Never assume anything.
    I'm not a Labour supporter.
    I was talking about Cameron, not Miliband, in a response to a post about Cameron.
    But for the record, the main positive thing I've got to say about Miliband is he's:
    a) not Cameron (truly awful)
    b) not a Tory (for the sake of all that is good, this party needs obliterating).
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,541
    Forum Member
    I'm so fed up with seeing/hearinf Cameron bleat out the same rubbish week in week out while getting redder and redder in his face!

He is absoloutely full of it in making out the economy is fixed. If the economy was fixed there would be no deficit, people would be paid a living wage and would be able to afford to live without needing in work benefits and interest rates would not have to be kept at a record low of 0.5%!

This is the kind of stuff Ed Miliband should be firing off to shouty Cameron week in week out, when parliament is actually sitting that is which isn't much!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I'm so fed up with seeing/hearinf Cameron bleat out the same rubbish week in week out while getting redder and redder in his face!

He is absoloutely full of it in making out the economy is fixed.

He would indeed be full of it if he claimed the economy was fixed. Fortunately for him (less so for you) he hasn't.

Saying they are in the process of fixing the economy isn't the same as saying they've fixed it.

You're hearing what you want to hear as opposed to what's actually being said.
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »

He is absoloutely full of it in making out the economy is fixed. If the economy was fixed there would be no deficit, people would be paid a living wage and would be able to afford to live without needing in work benefits and interest rates would not have to be kept at a record low of 0.5%!

This is the kind of stuff Ed Miliband should be firing off to shouty Cameron week in week out, when parliament is actually sitting that is which isn't much!

I'm posting a video, especially for you, of the Prime Minister not answering questions at PMQs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaDOIOkPlmc
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,541
    Forum Member
    He would indeed be full of it if he claimed the economy was fixed. Fortunately for him (less so for you) he hasn't.

Saying they are in the process of fixing the economy isn't the same as saying they've fixed it.

You're hearing what you want to hear as opposed to what's actually being said.

What are you going on about?! Every week for more than a year Cameron says things like "he can't go oon about the economy because ......" and whatever else he adds onto it. He does make out the economy is fixed when its anything but!